Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
Don't forget Florida man. The born and (in)bred local.
Since most "locals" are northern transplants or maybe even 1st or 2nd generation Floridians born to parents originally from NY, the NE, or Chicago, I see your point .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 AM

49 posts, read 61,821 times
I recently moved out of the Lake Mary/Sanford Seminole county area as I need to return to NY/ Long Island with my wife to handle some personal family issues. I miss it everyday. Yeah the summers are hot, but I found the people to be truly nice people. I loved the sunshine everyday, i think it truly made me feel happy everyday and I made some good friends in a short almost 3 year span.

Some thing we didn't like which were minor was the whole I4/project thing really is a nightmare, they just ripped everything up and it doesn't seem like they have any plan on when it will be complete. We had renting issues. We started in Heathrow and ended up in Sanford at a really awful complex called the Stonebrook. I'll say this, if you are a renter and could not afford as house as we could not, moving to a bad complex can really affect you life in Florida. It was truly an awful experience. You really need to examine the people you talk to who run these complexes. They can be truly heartless people. The housing issue with the prices exploding over the last 3 years really hit us and the the whole Olando area imo, not that where I am now back on long island is any better lol, it's not, not one bit.

Therefore we ended up in Sanford. I can see Sanford in 5 years being a prime spot with the prices still going up and all the lake side property. Eventually we left about 6 weeks ago and it's been a hard transition back. As much as the Orlando area has grown, there is still nearly not as many people as there are where I am now.

I know my wife wants to take a look at the Carolina's as she wasn't the biggest fan of the long summers. But I am hoping we can end up back in Florida by the fall of 2020 or winter of 2021. I would probably look at other areas, Far from Orlando and some close. Winter Springs, Winter Garden, Debary, Winter Park and long wood. If anyone can recommend any other, please let me know. If I go back, I would be more prepared towards either renting a house to buy or rent a house instead of a complex.

I wouldn't trade the last 3 years for anything.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:15 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Orlando and Florida in general has some of the best air in the country... you can always track the current real time air quality too...

https://airnow.gov/
I live close to the airport and coal-fired power plant. I'm sure it's much worse in my area than Orlando in general. I track the air quality on my phone and it hits Moderate on occasion and unhealthy once in a while.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
My parents moved to Orlando a while back. I hated it from the beginning, not much love for Orlando.

2 years later, Boston property values shot up and we were stuck in the sun frying helly sprawled mess of Orlando.

Regrets It: 4
Does Not Regret It: 0

Old 08-21-2019, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,171 times
Are you familiar with Reunion? We are thinking of moving there because of all the reasons why you say you love Dr. Phillips. Thanks for any info.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 5,171 times
I'm from Staten Island and really want to move to Reunion Florida...Are you familiar with it there? I keep hearing about windermere too which is about 20 minutes from Reunion. Did you move there yet? Do you like it? TY!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I'd NEVER live in Reunion... it's basically a resort but instead of hotels it's short term vacation homes.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:08 PM

109 posts, read 110,843 times
Abirdinahand,

I moved to Orlando about 30 years ago from the Northeast and have no regrets.

Is Orlando perfect? Of course not, nowhere is.

Pros- Great weather, close to ocean, many great communities to live in, decent schools,
always something to do (I can honestly say I don't ever think I was bored any day in my
30 years), opportunities few other places have- can watch rocket launches, see fireworks
nearly every day, drive to the ocean for the day, amazing scenery and wildlife experiences,
and of course theme parks.

Cons- not unique to Orlando- traffic, storms,

And if you live here for more than a few years, you can feel the change of seasons. The
Christmas season is particularly awesome and the weather is perfect to partake in many
activities occuring that time of year.

I would move to Orlando again in a heartbeat.

@movetoorlando

Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 AM

197 posts, read 752,120 times
Moved here (Clermont) in 2010. Love it and have not regretted it.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 692 times
I do regret moving down here.
The schools are horrible (while many schools are rated A, they are A rated compared to other schools in the state, NOT the country lol)
Morals/values/ideologies are about 40 years behind. People are just, slow. Backwards. Country.
It's just ghetto.. what people out here think is "nice" is just not. A fancy restaurant out here is something like oh.. Applebees.
It's dirty. Trash everywhere. Once you get away from the airport and the theme parks and the places they all want the tourists to see, it's disgusting.
The drivers are the worst I have seen in the country. Zero courtesy, this goes for law enforcement officers as well. My daily work commute includes typically 2-3 horrific accidents on the way there, and back.
Hang out in the Florida FB forums for a while, nobody knows how to spell. Posts that are legible, are about a crime that happened, or asking for money. My old community page, people seemed so educated, and the topical discussions had things to do with education, volunteer work, philanthropy- not giving away dogs for free, being unable to afford diapers, or asking for handouts.
The nature/science or natural history museum looks like it's been put on by an elementary school.
There is zero urgency to things, which I get that there's a relaxed vibe, but when it comes to things that actually are urgent, nobody knows how to react with said urgency.
I had high hopes, I didn't imagine it could be THAT different from other decent sized cities.
But yay, beaches, Mickey, and palm trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando