Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 06:05 AM

6 posts, read 9,837 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a few different houses in the Longwood area. We like Sweetwater Oaks and Sabel Point. It appears that Sweetwater oaks sells more quickly and is zoned for Lake Brantley. Sabel Point is zoned for Lyman and takes a little longer to sell. What do you think about Lyman High school. I have a 7 and 9 year old. Not much on the market in our price range so just trying to get the best area for my kids to grow up. Any advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I’d go with Lake Brantley school wise.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:10 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Sapal Point is Lyman?? That's odd, since it's right behind Brantley! Anyway, I agree that Brantley is a better choice, but I wouldn't let that be my primary deciding factor, as both schools/areas are great.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:33 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Lake Brantley is more consistent across the board in terms of academics. Lyman is a magnet school with an engineering program that draws from across the county and sees an overall better testing score from that as a result. Should that appeal to you kids to attend such a program, it would be a wise choice given the work opportunities once out of school. Both neighborhoods feed to Sabal Point Elementary and Rock Lake Middle which are the better options in that part of the county. By the time the eldest reaches high school in five years it could very well be a different scenario and if not, lobbying to stay in the Lake Brantley district (which is Sabal Point/Rock Lake typically, versus Lyman) shouldn't be a big issue.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/c...od/search.aspx
Academy of Engineering | Lyman High School

Old 06-17-2018, 11:55 AM

What about Winter Springs High school?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
I will start by disclosing that I am somewhat bias as I am actually a Lake Brantley HS alumni.. With that said, as stated by pp, the statistics speak for themselves, Lake Brantley is one of the best high schools in the region with top ratings, I highly recommend it!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Trying to get into that little slice of zoning that includes Sabal Point Elementary, Rock Lake Middle, and Lake Brantley High is a tall order if you are on a budget. That is the best trio of schools if you don't want to be out in Oviedo. We tried and failed, as inventory in our price range dried up when we finally sold our house early this year.

When we were looking for homes, the two high schools we ruled out were Lyman and Winter Springs. Of all the Seminole County high schools, Lyman gets the most negative word of mouth locally. Take that for what it's worth, but it does affect the value of your home. Winter Springs High doesn't have the same negative image, but the scores have been going the wrong direction for a few years now. It may correct itself in the next few years, but that just concerns me a bit when there are other schools that haven't taken the same dive. IMO if you are looking at Winter Springs High, go a bit further east to be in the Oviedo High school district (or the small part of Winter Springs zoned for Oviedo High).

We ended up on the west side of Altamonte Springs. You can find homes zones for Wekiva Elementary or Bear Lake Elementary, Teague Middle, and Lake Brantley High.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
If you like Sweetwater and Sable but are looking for the SPE-RLMS-LBHS zoning miracle then consider Shadow Bay. It's directly across Wekiva Springs Rd from Sable and was zoned for all 3 at least when I lived there.

Depending on your budget there are condos and townhouses in there and you have access to a boat ramp, private beach, pool and tennis courts.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:54 PM

Thank you very much. I will look in that area. We need to be below $375,000 and we would like a screened pool

Old 06-27-2018, 03:55 AM

We found a house in Highland, Greenwood lakes, and lake mary school districts. Is this a good area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando