Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times

Advertisements

A famous diner in Orlando is Shakers Cafe, here is their website: http://www.shakerscafe.com/
There is also Bakely's in Winter Park, but I did not enjoy their food much.

If you just want a more modern breakfast spot with good food, I like:

First Watch (3-4 locations)
Florida Waffle Shop (by Mall at Millenia)
Dexters (3 locations)
Market Street Cafe (celebration)

I do not much like these following options myself, but I could see how they would classify as a diner, but they are chains. I think their food is subpar:

IHOP
Denny's
Perkins
Waffle House
Village Inn

There are also some places designed to feel like a 50's era diner like:

Cheeburger Cheeburger (Waterford Lakes)
Beaches and Cream (Disney Beach club, by the pool)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 AM

37 posts, read 129,935 times
Thanks for the answers guys, appreciate it !

Well Magnulus, what you are telling me pretty much matches what I was expecting. I had a talk, off the record, with one of the disney recruiters that was at the interview, and she told me pretty much the same thing. You definitely do not come down there to make money or easy work.

AliceT, I am sorry to say you this but your speech sounds exactly like the video we were shown at the interview. This video talked us into thinking that working at disney was like a fairy tale...There was this girl, the host actually, smiling non stop from beginning to end. Come on. While I am sure I will spend some good moments down there, and that this is a great opportunity, I am not stupid. I still go down there to work, not to take some vacation. I'm glad for you that you find disney to be such a great place/work, but well, at some point one has to stick with reality.

Everything seems so yummy in your link Wilshire Like I said I just want to go to a typical american diner like we see on the movies, not even for the food, just for the sake of going there, take several pictures etc.

Oh by the way, are you guys easy to approach ? For instance if I want to snap a portrait of a person in the street, do you think I could just ask politely the person without them thinking I'm a nutcase or a sicko or something ?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,781 times
If you want a real diner, Orlando is not the place. If you want real diners you will have to take a trip to New Jersey.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
I think people are used to you asking to take your picture for you, if you want a picture by a building or whatnot, but I think people would think it is bizaare if you asked to just take their picture. People will understand if you are taking a picture of something and they are in the frame, but to actually take a picture of someone could come across wrong. I would definitely not suggest it or asking as you may get different reactions. Just my thoughts. I do not know what I would think if someone asked me that. I think I would just politely decline it.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I bet you will easily make friends with other people your age who work with you. A lot of local kids are going to be working there, and they can show you around and car pool places with you, or maybe even take you home with them to hang out.
I have a feeling "the happiest place on earth" pertains more to the visitors than the employees, but I don't know for sure. Disney is probably a very exacting employer.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
If you want a real diner, Orlando is not the place. If you want real diners you will have to take a trip to New Jersey.
New Jersey, alright, I'll try to get there while I'm in the states (after my visa expires, I have 30 days to go back to France)

Wilshire, actually what I usually do is that I take the picture of somebody I deem artistically interesting without this person knowing (for the mere reason that if they do not know they are in front of the camera, they will act naturally) and then I walk up to them, explain them what I just did, and ask for their authorization to keep the picture. Most of the time it works here in France, but I totally understand that Americans, despite westerners too, have a quite different culture than us.

Gentlearts (Nice nickname btw), I too am sure that I will not have any problems making friends with other disney employees, but I certainly do not want them to be my ONLY contact with foreign people during my stay. I'd like to meet a whole lot of different people outside disney.
Yep disney's probably an exacting employer, but like any other big companies I guess. But I will work as a lifeguard so it should not be too demanding. I only hope I will be able to make extra hours, for I will be needing money.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 AM

47 posts, read 285,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimo View Post
But I will work as a lifeguard so it should not be too demanding.
Do you know where you will be working at? Disney has two waterparks -- Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. They also have many resorts that will likely require lifeguards. I'm not sure if any of the 4 Disney theme parks require life guards. The waterparks are fun.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimo View Post
New Jersey, alright, I'll try to get there while I'm in the states (after my visa expires, I have 30 days to go back to France)

Wilshire, actually what I usually do is that I take the picture of somebody I deem artistically interesting without this person knowing (for the mere reason that if they do not know they are in front of the camera, they will act naturally) and then I walk up to them, explain them what I just did, and ask for their authorization to keep the picture. Most of the time it works here in France, but I totally understand that Americans, despite westerners too, have a quite different culture than us.
Krimo
Your English is superb.
About the photo--a few times, I've done what you describe right here in Florida, and not had any problem.
Quote:
I too am sure that I will not have any problems making friends with other disney employees, but I certainly do not want them to be my ONLY contact with foreign people during my stay. I'd like to meet a whole lot of different people outside disney.
Yep disney's probably an exacting employer, but like any other big companies I guess. But I will work as a lifeguard so it should not be too demanding. I only hope I will be able to make extra hours, for I will be needing money.
Does not sound bad at all.
I think it's interesting that Disney wants a French speaking lifeguard, but I've heard French spoken here and I am sure there is plenty of it in Disney World. Will you wear American swimwear, or French (Speedos)?
Krimo, I think gentearts is right about making friends.
My kid has spent two summers in France working at a camp for French kids, and he became really good friends with the other counselors--I think you might, too.
I do hope you can spend some time outside of Disney and Orlando and see more of America.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Crikey, I absolutely have no idea whatsoever as to where I will be stationed. I am waiting for some sort of a package to arrive, I suppose the information regarding that specificity will be disclosed in it.

Dear BlueWillowPlate, many humble thanks. I actually like english a lot, I find this language to be conspicuously melodious to the ear, rich, and very beautiful. So when I write, I try to live up to the language You know when I talk though, american people say I have a South Jersey/NY accent Which does not mean a lot to me, I really cannot tell the accents when I hear them Good thing for the photography, I really love to capture people's feelings through their expression.

You know, the reason I asked if there were any french people in the area is because I definitely do not want, for the very short period I am up there, to stick with french people

Haha, there is no way on Earth I could wear speedos My swimsuit is tight indeed, but it is more like tight boxers. What is American swimwear like ?

Your kid worked as a camp counselor in France ? Funny, I have been doing that for the past 4 years, each summer (except for the last one, I worked as a security guard) Which camp was he staying at ?

As a matter of fact, I will hopefully spend some time in Chicago at the end of my contract. Maybe in-between will I be able to go visit New Jersey, before I return to my wan, asunder city.

Again thanks for the answers everybody, Americans are said to be a people of extremes, well at least this is often true for kindness !

Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 PM

69 posts, read 443,516 times
Salut!

I'm also French and I just finished working on a project in Disney. Very fun place to work, everybody was genuinely fun and friendly, from the cleaning lady to the boss. If they need me for another project, I'll definitely do it again!

Renting a car at 21 is feasible, but you'll just have some extra charges most of the time. I don't think you'll get lost, you know, in the US, all the streets are parallel to each other, so it's easy to find your way.

I don't have any other info to add regarding bars/pubs/restaurants, one thing you'll notice here, is that compared to France, restaurants are very cheap!

Also, you can find cheap motels, where I live, in Kissimmee, $25-$30/night is easy to find, I don't know about downtown Orlando. And those are normal motels, no Formule1 style hotels here.

Oh, in case you didn't know, it gets real hot and humid here in summer. It also rains very often in the afternoon. Be prepared!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando