Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:55 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Greenwise Market's problem is the lack of stringent standards with products having a minimum of 70% organic sourcing that's being sold on shelves under the perception it's all organic/all natural, and as a result consumers who commit themselves to buying healthier food options aren't going to choose Greenwise over much more legitimate options that are comparatively priced.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/quality-standards
https://about.sprouts.com/sustainability/
https://www.luckysmarket.com/anthem/
https://www.earthfare.com/foodphilosophy/
GreenWise Products | Publix Super Markets

I believe that is a matter of people not knowing enough of what is organic and not organic as well as falling for clever marketing. (Ex. If the product is in a green box, it is perceived to be healthier.) I would say that most people don't even know that "natural" is not even a regulated term. I have a friend who was raving about Lucky's Market produce prices, which is fine, but he said, "yeah, and it's all organic." Um, it's not organic unless the label says it's organic. Whole Foods does a great job of labeling everything in their produce department explicitly as conventional or organic. I believe Lucky's just labels the organic stuff as organic in the same way a regular store like Publix or Kroger would do. If you go into a Lucky's or Sprouts seeing it as an organic store, you might be led to believe everything in there is organic whether it is true or not. Their meats are no more organic than the Publix Greenwise meets that are not organic (except the few that they started offering recently that explicitly state that they are organic).

I just randomly looked up GreenWise and 365 EDV cereals as an example, and it looks like both store brands offer products are organic as well as products that are just better traditional conventional brand.

Here are similar Publix GreenWise and Whole Foods 365 cereals that are organic:

https://www.publix.com/pd/greenwise-...RIO-PCI-539176
https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B00IC...A1VPEJV7O66L91

Here are similar Publix GreenWise and Whole Foods 365 cereals that are *not* organic:
https://www.publix.com/pd/greenwise-...RIO-PCI-530595
https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B074J...A1VPEJV7O66L91

It's interesting that the non-organic Whole Foods equivalent has a much longer ingredients list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 05:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

If one is that concerned about their organic purchases, I assume it means they are thoroughly reading the labels of the products they are purchasing.

For me, the "organic" label itself doesn't mean as much as some other aspects and practices of the food I purchase.
Correct, I look for things like grass fed, humane etc

Old 07-25-2018, 07:31 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
You might be surprised at how much of that humane, free-range stuff is a bunch of bunk.

That’s for another thread! Maybe a marketing thread...

Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
You might be surprised at how much of that humane, free-range stuff is a bunch of bunk.

That’s for another thread! Maybe a marketing thread...
If you buy local, you can always visit their farm!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Exactly. And it's not particularly hard to find either.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:45 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Not everything from Whole Foods Market, Sprouts Farmers Market, Lucky's Market, and Earth Fare are completely organic.
They're not, but they don't pretend that it is either. I'm not familiar with Lucky's, Sprouts or Earth Fare but do know that as mentioned Whole Foods doesn't mislead by stating everything is organic and will post signage letting you know it's conventionally grown. Often there isn't sufficient quantity of certain products produced organically to stock stores given the demand, so conventional is still needed since organic also doesn't yield as much either. Not to mention often the cost is prohibitive on some items offered organically due to lower yields, so retailers cannot effectively purchase and price at retail where consumers would feel comfortable purchasing it.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Just read the ingredient list people... it isn’t hard... be wary of artificial sweetners, flavors, colors etc. Most things you should know exactly what they are, if you don’t google the specific ingredient. Just look at a box of cerceal from greenwise and compre it to trix or captain crunch. You’ll see this goes way beyond being organic.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:11 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Just read the ingredient list people... it isn’t hard... be wary of artificial sweetners, flavors, colors etc. Most things you should know exactly what they are, if you don’t google the specific ingredient. Just look at a box of cerceal from greenwise and compre it to trix or captain crunch. You’ll see this goes way beyond being organic.
Exactly.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Correct. Most people don’t seem concerned enough to bother and just go by the label.

I visited a free range chicken place that was delisted . Free range my arse.

I do like seeing the private folks who sell eggs up in Lake County. It’s nice to see the hens running around on the property.

Then again, we’re a bunch of nasty self-righteous vegans.

Interesting discovery at a “ humane” dairy farm. The workers were sticking cattle prods up the cows’ privates for fun.

Probably more common than we’d like to admit.

Leaving this thread..........

Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM

39 posts, read 110,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wish it was Earth Fare, as I find them a good bit more appealing than Lucky's.
We are getting an Earth Fare out here in Brevard which is just short of a miracle, very close to our home. Looking forward to it. Lucky's is about all we have in the organic sector. We usually head to WP to go to Trader Joes & Whole Foods. Glad to hear about Sprouts, didn't know that. Still an hr each way for us out here on the space coast, but can stop there on our way back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando