Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,601 times

Advertisements

Lol..Mister NY!! Thanks for your response. Ok..as you said..2 or 3mnths later..lol..guesss what?!!!!!!!!! I frigin saw one a couple feet from me as I walked out of my house about 3 dys ago. MY VERY FIRST ENCOUNTER..The thing was huuuuuugggggggggeeeeeeee!! Lol..I ran so fast and banged my head on my front door..lol.i thought my door was still open!! I swear..i was about 5 bangs frm pushing my door down!! It was a horrible and frightening expereince. SIGH. Now..whenever I pass by that area..well anywhr before I get into my car..i run like a bat out of hell!! My family think I'm nuts..but I really dont thnk I can handle this mess!!

Truth is..about a 1.5 mnth ago, i saw a very small one..thought it was a worm as well..when my fiance moved it, it slithered into the grass..that was o.k...but when I saw the big black one, I almost died..panic attack..my sister thought i was going to have one!! Its just horrible.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
It must be all the rain because I saw a racer on my porch the other day and have never in 12 years in this house seen one on this property. My mothers house is another thing they are all over.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
I've been in Orlando for two years and encountered two snakes. One in the bushes at my apartment complex and one near my place of work. I don't think snakes are going to be that issue here.

However, I CAN'T STAND THE LIZARDS!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Give me the lizards, keep the snakes. Sorry to hear about your terrible encounter. When I separated with my ex-wife, I moved to an apartment (2nd floor), and didn't have to deal with seeing them in Altamonte Springs. I know they're all over, but not having to deal with the wooded area I lived in initially, was like a breath of fresh air (ironic isn't it?). I just cant do some jobs in Florida, like being a cable man or telephone repairman. My friends have stories for me about their encounters in attics, and bushes....with snakes, and rodents. I cant deal with that. I remember last year, there was a parent that came for career day, and he bought a huge snake in a plastic bin, since he owned a pet store. I watched from outside the classroom..My students were laughing hysterically. I just can't deal with them...Not yet, anyways. Just be careful, and keep your area clean. Hope you dont have to see another one for a while.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I spent the afternoon and evening at a friends home, sitting in her backyard, the children playing on the lawn. The live on a large pond that has a couple alligators. I was able to watch one swimming around on the opposite side but he stayed far enough away that I had to have field glasses to see him.

It was a gorgeous day.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,493 times
I used to live in NJ. I wouldn't be afraid of snakes or other things in FL, if you see a snake outside just run away its no gonna latch onto your face and suck your blood, if its in your house call animal control or whatever. You shouldn't let little reptiles or whatever they are ruin your life =]

Old 07-05-2008, 12:16 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Give me the lizards, keep the snakes. Sorry to hear about your terrible encounter. When I separated with my ex-wife, I moved to an apartment (2nd floor), and didn't have to deal with seeing them in Altamonte Springs. I know they're all over, but not having to deal with the wooded area I lived in initially, was like a breath of fresh air (ironic isn't it?). I just cant do some jobs in Florida, like being a cable man or telephone repairman. My friends have stories for me about their encounters in attics, and bushes....with snakes, and rodents. I cant deal with that. I remember last year, there was a parent that came for career day, and he bought a huge snake in a plastic bin, since he owned a pet store. I watched from outside the classroom..My students were laughing hysterically. I just can't deal with them...Not yet, anyways. Just be careful, and keep your area clean. Hope you dont have to see another one for a while.
I really hope I dont ever encounter another one again. Not sure of the likelyhood..but thats my dream..

Old 07-05-2008, 12:40 PM

69 posts, read 443,528 times
Snakes can be pretty scary for some reason.

I remember when my father in-law was here, we went to the lake on the other side of the street to watch the alligators. He wasn't especially scared of them. We went back to the house and had to walk next to a parcel that was not yet developed (basically, a 70' by 110' piece of jungle). There was a little snake there, my father in-law just about jumped out of his skin.

I've seen a few here, no venomous ones though. Just the usual black racers and garden snakes. But my area is not fully developed, so it's normal. I'm not as bad as you are, but I'm a little scared of them too, I don't want to go near them, and there's no way I'm gonna try to catch them.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 PM

95 posts, read 355,903 times
If you don`t like it, i would recommend you to move back to NJ. Florida is the complete opposite to NJ. Its called the tropics.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:48 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,963 times
Default Just my experience....

Snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. If ever come near one, you'll see him/her trying to get away. I live in SE Orlando and my house backs up to about 300 acres of woods. Yes, I've encountered a couple of snakes, but nothing really dangerous - with one exception - we had a rattler on our pool deck on day (we didn't screen it)...just sunning himself on the pavers...a well placed flat shovel placed right behind his head took care of the situation. One word of advice...if you ever kill a venemous snake, the muscle reaction he has still causes his mouth to open/close - don't get near it - he still retains venom.

Only other issue was a king snake in the pool skimmer. If you screen your pool, you won't have these issues...haha!

And if you live in a wooded area and are lucky enough to have one of those big black racers take up residence around your house - keep him there! His natural enemy is the rattlesnake!

Don't be scared - just careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando