Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM

399 posts, read 720,067 times

Advertisements

So I maybe moving to Orlando next year. I grew up in Miami, but I'm tired of this place. Time for a change. I'm hoping to move somewhere that is a little slower in pace and more family friendly. Is Orlando this? Are the public schools decent? My 2 year old loves to study and is bright. Are there plenty of parks and activities for children? I know about the theme parks. Is Orlando a family/kid friendly city basically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Yes, Orlando is very family/kid friendly! Central Florida as a whole isn't known for that because of the high number retirees, but in the Immediate Orlando area there are very few retirees. There are tons of parks and children activities. Initially where you live will be determined by where you work so I cant give you just a specific area due to the fact that there are many places that fit your criteria. For now look into Seminole County, Dr Phillips/Windermere area, Winter Park, Lake Nona, and the Clermont area.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
If you live in a good area with good schools, it's a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:48 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
It'll be better than Miami...

Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
dalmain. Come to Tallahassee. Better schools, and a much better family environment.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
If you live in a good area with good schools, it's a great place to raise a family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
It'll be better than Miami...
Agree x2. What better place to raise your kids than with Disney and Universal in your back yard. That being said, location and schools are key.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Orlando proper isn't the most kid/family-friendly but the suburbs are. As mentioned Seminole County tops the list (Lake Mary, West Sanford, Tuscawilla, Oviedo, Winter Springs and Wekiva Springs) for lower crime, less traffic and congestion plus school quality overall. In addition parts of Winter Park, Maitland, Dr Phillips, Windermere and Lake Nona will provide some of the qualities as well.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando proper isn't the most kid/family-friendly but the suburbs are. As mentioned Seminole County tops the list (Lake Mary, West Sanford, Tuscawilla, Oviedo, Winter Springs and Wekiva Springs) for lower crime, less traffic and congestion plus school quality overall. In addition parts of Winter Park, Maitland, Dr Phillips, Windermere and Lake Nona will provide some of the qualities as well.
There's plenty of good places in Orlando proper to raise small children. Baldwin Park, Delaney Park, Thornton Park, College Park, Colonialtown, Lake Nona, Lee Vista, even some parts of Conway are nice too. These places aren't the perfect places to raise children but I'd rather raise my future children in one of these areas than ANYWHERE up north where the education system is supposedly so much better

And outside Orlando proper (but still in Orange County) There's WP, Maitland, DP, and Windermere as you mentioned. There's also Hunters Creek (21st Best Place to Live In the US), parts of Winter Garden like Stoneybrook West, Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes, I could go on but you see my point

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM

12 posts, read 33,837 times
LOL! The easiest way to answer your question is no. In 2011 the FBI ranked Orlando the third most violent city in America, and for good reason. The law enforcement agencies that police Orlando (Orange County Sheriffs Office and Orlando Police Department) are underfunded and undermanned. The city and county have no money. There are no major employers down here outside of Disney, Universal, and Sea World. They all pay crappy wages. Orlando is not an overly inexpensive city to live in either. The cost of living compared to the wages are way out of sync with another. Crime is incredibly high in Orlando. Three of the most prolific disappearances in the U.S. occurred here during the last decade. Kaylee Anthony, Michelle Parker, and Jennifer Kessee. Teachers get paid around $12.00 an hour down here so the education system is horrible. You can send your child to a great private school at roughly $1500.00 a month. There are no jobs as the unemployment rate is at around 10%. The theme parks get old and unless you want to fork out $500 for a yearly pass to see the same boring crap at Disney then no, there's not much to do. Orlando doesn't have many outdoor recreational activities that are free. I've lived all over the U.S., and I have to say this is by far the worst place I've lived. A major magazine also ranked Orlando as one of the worst cities in America in 2011 for young adults.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Shah View Post
LOL! The easiest way to answer your question is no. In 2011 the FBI ranked Orlando the third most violent city in America, and for good reason. The law enforcement agencies that police Orlando (Orange County Sheriffs Office and Orlando Police Department) are underfunded and undermanned. The city and county have no money. There are no major employers down here outside of Disney, Universal, and Sea World. They all pay crappy wages. Orlando is not an overly inexpensive city to live in either. The cost of living compared to the wages are way out of sync with another. Crime is incredibly high in Orlando. Three of the most prolific disappearances in the U.S. occurred here during the last decade. Kaylee Anthony, Michelle Parker, and Jennifer Kessee. Teachers get paid around $12.00 an hour down here so the education system is horrible. You can send your child to a great private school at roughly $1500.00 a month. There are no jobs as the unemployment rate is at around 10%. The theme parks get old and unless you want to fork out $500 for a yearly pass to see the same boring crap at Disney then no, there's not much to do. Orlando doesn't have many outdoor recreational activities that are free. I've lived all over the U.S., and I have to say this is by far the worst place I've lived. A major magazine also ranked Orlando as one of the worst cities in America in 2011 for young adults.
This whole post is laughable but this part is just wrong. I live with a Seminole County teacher and their pay starts off at $38,500 for a 10 month contract which is hardly $12 an hour. Not to mention she pays absolutely nothing for major medical and only contributes 3% of her income towards her pension versus my family in Illinois who pay over 10% (plus another 5% or so in ridiculous personal income taxes to the state lol).

Oh and while Florida education has a long way to go, it's not as bad off as you suggest.

Florida schools 6th in Education Week rankings - Government - The News Herald

Not to mention that the average starting salary for teachers is higher in Florida than anywhere else in the south.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando