Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM

32 posts, read 103,930 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Lake County mid-June. We will be moving to a town called Montverde to work at a school. We already have housing so I am not looking for advice about that, just more along the lines of the area. I know Montverde is pretty small, but what about Clermont? Montverde is on the south west side of Lake Apopka.

Anyone know anything about this area? Montverde seems to be pretty rural, and we have been there, but we haven't been to Clermont so I guess I am more curious about this area since I'm guessing we will probably do our shopping and such there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Clermont is predominately white, half rural/half suburban town. I would classify it as safe, quiet, and somewhat small (but growing). There is more and more out there and you should have no problem with all of your basic grocery/retail needs and live close enough to take advantage of the entertainment options of the greater Orlando area. I have not been to a lot of the smaller towns out there like Montverde but can imagine they are similar smaller versions of Clermont. I know some celebrity caliber homes were built out in Montverde on Lake Apopka recently. Chris Tucker lives out there LOL.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:43 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Someone considers Clermont small? Wow. Clermont stretches forever on 27 between Astatula and just about to the 192 interchange by the Lake-Osceola County line. From east to west, it borders Groveland to the west and reaches all the way to Oakland on the east side. Clermont is anything but small. It is very diverse and an up and coming community. I believe Leesburg would be the best option for city-style shopping as it has a much more progressive downtown area with the big name chain store names.

Last edited by AliceT; 04-03-2008 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,404 times
Smile Mall Shopping

Much closer to Monteverde (than Leesburg) is West Oaks Mall off Hwy 50 or newest Fowlers Grove Mall near Stoneybrook West and the 429. Fellow workers LOVE Folwlers Grove and all the specialty shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Someone considers Clermont small? Wow. Clermont stretches forever on 27 between Astatula and just about to the 192 interchange by the Lake-Osceola County line. From east to west, it borders Groveland to the west and reaches all the way to Oakland on the east side. Clermont is anything but small. It is very diverse and an up and coming community. I believe Leesburg would be the best option for city-style shopping as it has a much more progressive downtown area with the big name chain store names.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 87,012 times
Question lake county

we are trying to move to florida soon, can somone tell me a nice safe place to raise kids in lake county?
single mom.

betilf

Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry07 View Post
we are trying to move to florida soon, can somone tell me a nice safe place to raise kids in lake county?
single mom
betilf
I live in Lake County. I don't know of any really bad places except there all always run down areas in every town to avoid. Lady Lake and Leesburg are geared more towards retirees. Leesburg is a rather cliquish town IMO. Either Mt. Dora, Eustis and Tavares also known as the golden triangle area are nice areas to raise a family. I live in Eustis so I can't really give you any input on south Lake County where Clermont is located. You can visit the Lake county school website for information on the schools.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Sorrento is nice.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Someone considers Clermont small?
Just because it is spanned out does not mean it is big. It feels small and that is what I meant. I do not think anyone cares how many miles your city limits are. I was trying to give a feel for how Clermont feels. It feels very small there to me and the people I know who move there move to escape the city to some degree.

I like Sorrento, I have a friend out there too. Kind of halfway between Sanford and Mt Dora.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 16,462 times
Default How is life in Umatilla Florida

My fiance and I have a great opportunity to move to a property in Umatilla Florida--we really don't know too much about this area. Is it safe, are there things to do and how are the weather conditions....tornadoes? Hurricanes? Please fill us in. Thanks in advance

Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanya View Post
My fiance and I have a great opportunity to move to a property in Umatilla Florida--we really don't know too much about this area. Is it safe, are there things to do and how are the weather conditions....tornadoes? Hurricanes? Please fill us in. Thanks in advance
Umatilla is rural and quiet. It has a very small town feel with mom and pop stores, mainly. It isn't too far from Eustis and about 15-20 minutes or so from the Lake Square mall. It is on the edge of the Ocala forest. Tornadoes do hit Lake County but usually not as severe as the midwest tornadoes. The impact from hurricanes is not the same as living on the coast. It is far inland and power outages and maybe roof damage from tree branches or high wind gust are usually the worst of it. Hurricanes don't hit every year, and we haven't had one since 2004.
As far as safe, it is rarely in the news - a good sign!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando