Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:48 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Interesting! Well maybe OP should try to find the closest Freshmarket and see if they like what they find there. They might be very pleasantly surprised! Editing to add... I don't see where they classify their stores specifically as "freshmarket". I was just told that by an employee when I asked why they built a Publix across the street from another Publix. Seemed weird?!! So they told me the one I go to is a Fresh market that focuses on fresh ingredients, and the other one across the street is a "normal" one that has more packaged items.

So I'm not sure how anyone would be able to find out from the website which ones are which. Sorry about that.
I live in an area where there are three Publix stores that qualify to those standards within five minutes of each other and none of them are any better than what the OP is looking for, and would take umbrage to the assertion of "freshness" given in season items right now such as Tomatoes and Corn aren't even from in-state or for the Tomato example, from the US (Mexico or Canada).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 02:59 PM

268 posts, read 263,889 times
Thank you to all of you for your suggestions! I collect all these suggestions in a file and I will try out some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Ruskin Tomatoes South of Tampa, Redland Tomatoes from the soils of SW Miami. Tomatoes from ANY Agricultural Area from Florida that serves Farm to Table are AWESOME...

Your are not looking in the right direction .....
Where would I be able to find these tomatoes here?

Honestly, I cannot remember having eaten a tomato that tastes like a tomato in 12 years of living in Florida. I mean a tomato that does not taste like "nothing" with a taste of greenhouse or a slight taste of chemical. Two years ago I became so turned off that I threw all my tomatoes in the trash (and I hate to waste food) but I had no choice because I could not eat them. I stopped buying tomatoes for a whole year.

We bought tomatoes in supermarkets, on farmer's markets, at street stands etc. They must all come from the same source because they all taste the same: like greenhouse tomatoes. Just awful!

We hardly ever buy vegetables at Publix because Publix is so expensive. The green leaf lettuce there is not any better than anywhere else (old) but way more expensive. Hubby bought asparagus at Publix the other day. Her refuses to eat it because he does not like it. I tried it and I agree: I will have to throw it away because it really tastes awful. So much for Publix.

We had Brussels sprouts and green beans from Aldi's. I love Brussels sprouts. The ones from Aldi's tasted really awful, I could not eat them. Hubby refused the Brussels sprouts and the green beans (he normally loves both). I threw the Brussels sprouts away and put the green beans into a noodle dish and ate them that way.

And Walmart is not an option for fresh produce. The lettuce is normally really old and awful there.

And even produce that looks fresh and great has no taste whatsoever, no matter where you buy it.

I wish I could find produce that has the taste that I am used to from Germany, Italy, Spain or France (non-greenhouse). But I cannot. Everything here tastes like from the Netherlands (greenhouse).

Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,756,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Ruskin Tomatoes South of Tampa, Redland Tomatoes from the soils of SW Miami. Tomatoes from ANY Agricultural Area from Florida that serves Farm to Table are AWESOME...

Your are not looking in the right direction .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
Thank you to all of you for your suggestions! I collect all these suggestions in a file and I will try out some of them.

Where would I be able to find these tomatoes here?

When they are in season, Clemons Produce.

I believe regulations only require stores to list the country of origin, but Clemons lists the state and if from Florida, the city of origin of most of its inventory. Currently, I believe the tomatoes are from North Carolina and Alabama.

On his Facebook group, he will oftentimes posts pictures of the farms where that he personally visits to pick up produce for the store. One of the latest posts talked about Fuji and gala apples from North Carolina. A few weeks ago, it was South Carolina peaches.

As far as your comments on flavor or the lack thereof, this may be more of a larger phenomenon than a personal one. I recently heard an interview of the author of the linked book below talk about how mass production and other things have lessened the flavor of plants and animals over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorito-Effect...dp/B00LD1RWVK/

Old 09-12-2018, 03:50 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,756,806 times
Quote:
Interesting! Well maybe OP should try to find the closest Freshmarket and see if they like what they find there. They might be very pleasantly surprised! Editing to add... I don't see where they classify their stores specifically as "freshmarket". I was just told that by an employee when I asked why they built a Publix across the street from another Publix. Seemed weird?!! So they told me the one I go to is a Fresh market that focuses on fresh ingredients, and the other one across the street is a "normal" one that has more packaged items.

So I'm not sure how anyone would be able to find out from the website which ones are which. Sorry about that.
If you are in Orlando, I'm guessing you're talking about Dr. Phillips Marketplace or Winter Park Village. Those are former Albertson's stores that they converted into flagship models when Trader Joe's came to town and as Whole Foods announced their new Winter Park location. Man those NC and VA people are lucky, because many of their Publix's may end up being like that.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 PM

605 posts, read 713,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
If you are in Orlando, I'm guessing you're talking about Dr. Phillips Marketplace or Winter Park Village. Those are former Albertson's stores that they converted into flagship models when Trader Joe's came to town and as Whole Foods announced their new Winter Park location. Man those NC and VA people are lucky, because many of their Publix's may end up being like that.
Yes, you are correct. Clearly there is a distinction since you were able to figure out exactly which store I was talking about. I don't know how anyone would be able to figure it out though since they make no distinction on their website.

In any case, the produce I get from there is very good. Maybe not up to OP's standards though, as everything is based on what you're comparing it to. OP is comparing to basically home grown, and I'm comparing to the garbage I got back in Chicago. So I think it's great, they might disagree.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM

I can report that we went to Clemons on Friday afternoon and did some shopping there. The tomatoes we bought were not grown in greenhouses (according to the lady I asked) and they have some tomato taste.

The peaches we bought were good! And I bought Italian prune plums and made a great cake with it on the weekend! Yummie!

I have not cooked the other vegetables I bought and cannot report on their taste yet.

Thanks for the tip with Clemons!

Quote:
In any case, the produce I get from there is very good. Maybe not up to OP's standards though, as everything is based on what you're comparing it to. OP is comparing to basically home grown, and I'm comparing to the garbage I got back in Chicago. So I think it's great, they might disagree.
LOL! You made me laugh!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Bellamouse,

If you feel like Zwetschgenkuchen, you should go to Clemons!
Attached Thumbnails
Where to buy good vegetables - East/SE Orlando, St. Cloud, Kissimmee-20180915_170752.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando