Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyngirl4ever View Post
Thank you kyle. Your assessment is accurate. Is gardening “not permissible” in areas not governed by HOA? We were underwhelmed by Clermont and don’t know much about Montverde. Can you tell me a bit about the area.
Montverde is a more rural setting near Lake Apopka and a smaller lake in town as well. Most of the homes are older, on larger lots and not in HOAs but it sounds like you want new/newer but not in an HOA, which will take you into the custom home sector versus "tract homes" in standard subdivisions. Arcenal's recommendation of the Markham Woods road corridor in Seminole County or areas of West Sanford in/around Lake Sylvan sound perfect for you if you can get past an easy drive to the the parks. Do you plan on spending copious amounts of time in them, or are you more inclined to visit infrequently? If so an hour or less drive is probably adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM

34 posts, read 30,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have 3 houses in Dr. Phillips. I’ve done complete remodels in two of them, from flooring, bathrooms, demolision, cabinets, sinks, paint, countertops, lighting, landscaping, pool screens, ac units, septic tanks, sump pumps, literally anything you can think of... I’m happy to recommend service providers for your projects.

My primary home is in Phillips Landing, a very nice gated community. Here you can do anything you want in your backyard or courtyard. The only thing you need approval landscaping wise is the front lawn facing the street, so many people here have gardens, sundecks, fruit trees, etc. I know Phillips Landing isnt the only HOA in Dr. Phillips with these kinds of policies.

What kind of questions does your realtor not know? That’s pretty pathetic if he doesn’t know about HOAs or doesn’t know or is too lazy to comtact the HOAs for this information. You might want to use a new person.

If you have any questions for me, let me know.
I don’t think it is a matter of not knowing but not wanting to say anything that might be construed as violating the law. All responses are bland and wishy washy, lacking any true insight. The info I’ve garnered here is so much more insightful in terms of crime, patterns of development, etc.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
How difficult is it get quality trades people to take on major renovations?
It’s not hard at all

Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I don’t think it is a matter of not knowing but not wanting to say anything that might be construed as violating the law. All responses are bland and wishy washy, lacking any true insight. The info I’ve garnered here is so much more insightful in terms of crime, patterns of development, etc.
Maybe I didn’t read one of the previous posts correctly. I only saw the part about possible wanting to setup a garden and wondering if the HOAs don’t allow this. I’m not a realtor in FL so I can be very blunt, so fee free to ask me anything lol.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Montverde is a more rural setting near Lake Apopka and a smaller lake in town as well. Most of the homes are older, on larger lots and not in HOAs but it sounds like you want new/newer but not in an HOA, which will take you into the custom home sector versus "tract homes" in standard subdivisions. Arcenal's recommendation of the Markham Woods road corridor in Seminole County or areas of West Sanford in/around Lake Sylvan sound perfect for you if you can get past an easy drive to the the parks. Do you plan on spending copious amounts of time in them, or are you more inclined to visit infrequently? If so an hour or less drive is probably adequate.
We are definitely custom home types as we are living in a “one of a kind” mid century now which makes it so difficult with all the cookie cutters out there. We had seen some houses in Longwood/Weikva area which showed potential but we were concerned about the commute. We do plan to frequent the parks on a weekly basis an would like to stay under one hour.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Maybe I didn’t read one of the previous posts correctly. I only saw the part about possible wanting to setup a garden and wondering if the HOAs don’t allow this. I’m not a realtor in FL so I can be very blunt, so fee free to ask me anything lol.
Thank you BMW, I’ve noted Hispanic areas, Asian areas, hipster areas etc, are there any Italian areas. Not necessarily to live but definitely to shop. Will miss my saluminera.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's a fine place. Nice homes, large yards, right off of the 429, far enough removed from high crime areas. Easy access to pretty much everything. 429 to Disney, Turnpike to Universal/Millenia, 408 to Downtown.
Thank you Arcenal, I’ve only read negative things about Ocoee so it is good to hear.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM

We’ve lived in a suburb for years now and long to be able to walk to a store again, hence the allure of DP. But in practicality, do people actually walk to stores in Orlando? I’ve only seen walkers in touristy areas. Put another way; should it be a criterion or am I being unrealistic?
I would imagine the heat plays a large part in the decision to walk.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Plenty of HOAs allow vegetable gardens in the yard.

That being said, I can't really think of any reason why you WOULDN'T want to be in Dr. Philips at that price range, especially if you want to be near the parks and good dining options.

There are other areas that I'd recommend were they not a bit far from the parks. The Markham Woods corridor is one, and then there's also Winter Park.

As for the HOA/gardening issue, the only way I can see this being a problem would be if you end up at a house with VERY little yardspace, and/or if you wind up someplace with a more urban setting, such as Baldwin Park.

I have several friends who live in strict HOA communities and they have gardens.

One just set up a backyard baseball cage complete with astroturf lol.

You should be fine.
Can you provide boundaries for the Markham Woods area? It doesn’t come up. Thanks

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:41 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
We’ve lived in a suburb for years now and long to be able to walk to a store again, hence the allure of DP. But in practicality, do people actually walk to stores in Orlando? I’ve only seen walkers in touristy areas. Put another way; should it be a criterion or am I being unrealistic?
I would imagine the heat plays a large part in the decision to walk.
Most people drive to an area and then walk around then drive home. The most walkable area to live in my opinion is Baldwin Park. You can walk to your necessities from pretty much any of those townhomes, houses or condos. Winter Park near Park Ave is also possible. Parts of Downtown / Lake Eola / Thornton Park too. Parts of College Park.

There are neighborhoods in DP where you can walk or bike to get groceries or some restaurants, it’s just not common because Florida in general is car culture. I will bike to Sand Lake Road, but I wouldn’t walk. However, you can park there and then walk around. I love walking around Disney springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando