Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 04:34 PM

28 posts, read 28,820 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanking everyone in advance. So, I was getting out of the passenger door at the front entrance of one of the finer Marriott hotels in Orlando. The pavement was uneven and started going upward like a curb. I did not see this as it was still close to the front entrance. There were no markings on the curb (e.g. different color) or a sign indicating this. So..... I fell or tripped on this curb. Thankfully-nothing was broken. 3 of my toes got a little banged up and my elbow was bleeding and cut up. I’m a nurse- so I iced it and cleaned the cut and put bandaids on it, etc.

Declined to go go to the ER, as I knew my foot wasn’t broken, etc. now- the Marriott keeps calling me since this happened to see how I’m doing, etc. keep me on the phone for as long as they can. Security had to bring me bandaids, and ointment when this first happened and wanted a full report, etc. etc.

I’m ok- just a little shaken up. When this happened the bellhop came over to help me up and get a chair, etc and said, “this happens all the time.” So, today claims calls me as this happened Saturday night and she wanted a full report, etc.

My question is- they are taking all my time now, not wanting to admit that this happens at this point in the road and I quite frankly don’t know what I should do at this point. They removed the parking part on our bill as we had trouble getting out of the lots as the cards they gave us never worked.

My question is - why do they keep calling me?? And should they compensate me with anything such as a discounted voucher for future use etc? I’m not thinking I deserve anything- just wanted to make a point to them how unsafe this drop off area is. Thank you all so much😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
They just dont want to be sued and I don’t think you should sue them. If you are okay I’d just say, I’m fine as long as my time stops being wasted filling all this stuff out or answering calls. Either compensate me or stop calling me and telling me to file claims.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:12 PM

Thanks for this and no I’m not planning on suing them. They are just pestering me and like you said - I will do as you said����
Thank you!!!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM

Sorry-put 2 smile faces in and they came back as question marks :-)

Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
No worries, I’m glad you didn’t get hurt!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 AM

617 posts, read 832,564 times
Each person you speak to should be informed of the issue with the curb either not being marked or not being graded properly. If they keep calling you then demand to speak to a regional manager/director of ops/ whatever they call themselves. Important thing is that you didn't get hurt, but unless they fix this more people can get hurt in the future (imagine if that were a 90 year old with a bad hip in your shoes).

I agree that there's probably no reason for a suit, but sometimes getting a personal injury attorney can result in the company (Marriott in this case) actually being required to fix the issue, even though you personally don't get compensated. It may be worth a call for a free consultation with a p/i attorney. If Marriott knows you're not just going after them for money from your fall but all they need to do is fix the curb, they would likely do that in a heartbeat in order to ask an attorney not to file a suit.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM

143 posts, read 117,616 times
Call Morgan & Morgan - Lawyers in Orlando.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Each person you speak to should be informed of the issue with the curb either not being marked or not being graded properly. If they keep calling you then demand to speak to a regional manager/director of ops/ whatever they call themselves. Important thing is that you didn't get hurt, but unless they fix this more people can get hurt in the future (imagine if that were a 90 year old with a bad hip in your shoes).

I agree that there's probably no reason for a suit, but sometimes getting a personal injury attorney can result in the company (Marriott in this case) actually being required to fix the issue, even though you personally don't get compensated. It may be worth a call for a free consultation with a p/i attorney. If Marriott knows you're not just going after them for money from your fall but all they need to do is fix the curb, they would likely do that in a heartbeat in order to ask an attorney not to file a suit.

Thanks for this!! I actually did tell the girl from claims this yesterday when she called me-
1) That the curb wasn’t colored differently
2) That no sign was posted showing that their was a change in elevation.

As I had written in my original post- the bellhop had indicated, “this happens all the time!!.”
When I mentioned this to the claims lady, she said, “no one has ever put a claim in for this.”

I did take some shots of this curb area as I live outside of Orlando.

I really don’t want to sue- however- definitely feel that someone without a doubt would have gotten hurt especially the elderly, etc.

Thank you so much for this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: