Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 PM

16,892 posts, read 15,141,118 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with them?

I was thinking of taking on one of their online programs (no way I'm ever setting foot into a college classroom again. Did too much of that before) and was wondering if it's worth it.
What's their reputation like?

I'm more taking this on for fun than anything, kind of like to pursue something I've always loved to do as a hobby since I was a kid, so it's nothing I'm planning on taking 100% seriously. (Creative Writing.)

If you all know of another/better school that offers an online Creative Writing program, feel free to drop some suggestions.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 10:40 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,404,580 times
https://www.class-central.com/report...nline-courses/

You might check out some stuff here. The post is a few years old but most of those classes are still around.

I have heard negative stuff about Full Sail from people in the music community. Most attended the school because it was convenient. I have no idea as to the quality of anything else there.

Are you looking for a degree or certificate?

I found a book in the clearance section of Barnes and Noble ( Daily Writing Prompts ?) that is like a journal of daily writing prompts, who knew?! It was helpful, especially since I write toplines now and again.

I found a few good courses on Universal Class, Udemy and Skillshare. I have heard decent things about Gotham Writers.

I joined Masterclass when the site was just starting so I got a lifetime membership for cheap.
I don’t know what the cost is now. And there may be nothing there that you want.

Edx and Coursera have some courses you could check out.

I don’t know if the state schools have any online creative writing courses. I think UF mainly has media. Not sure.

The catch is that you eventually have to show your work to somebody. That’s the worst part for me. It’s also the reason why I took courses from different sites. That gave me more confidence in addition to criticism from more sources.

https://thewritelife.com/10-online-writing-courses/

Jeff Goins has become quite the self-promoter but he is positive and motivational:

https://goinswriter.com/

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-13-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 06:09 PM

378 posts, read 483,795 times
Full Sail is not regionally accredited, so if you eventually want to transfer credit, it either won't happen or will be extremely difficult.

A quick look shows that Valencia College has several creative writing courses, so depending on what your goal is, they may have a program to help (Or just take individual classes):
CRW:Creative Writing < Valencia College

Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
https://www.class-central.com/report...nline-courses/

You might check out some stuff here. The post is a few years old but most of those classes are still around.

I have heard negative stuff about Full Sail from people in the music community. Most attended the school because it was convenient. I have no idea as to the quality of anything else there.

Are you looking for a degree or certificate?

I found a book in the clearance section of Barnes and Noble ( Daily Writing Prompts ?) that is like a journal of daily writing prompts, who knew?! It was helpful, especially since I write toplines now and again.

I found a few good courses on Universal Class, Udemy and Skillshare. I have heard decent things about Gotham Writers.

I joined Masterclass when the site was just starting so I got a lifetime membership for cheap.
I don’t know what the cost is now. And there may be nothing there that you want.

Edx and Coursera have some courses you could check out.

I don’t know if the state schools have any online creative writing courses. I think UF mainly has media. Not sure.

The catch is that you eventually have to show your work to somebody. That’s the worst part for me. It’s also the reason why I took courses from different sites. That gave me more confidence in addition to criticism from more sources.

https://thewritelife.com/10-online-writing-courses/

Jeff Goins has become quite the self-promoter but he is positive and motivational:

https://goinswriter.com/
I don't think I particularly need a degree. I'm more looking to take some classes to help broaden my spectrum, so to speak. Explore avenues I'm not familiar with. And also to help build a portfolio/gain some exposure, which from what I understand, is easier to do through college coursework than independently.

I'll definitely check out your suggestions, as they seem to be more in line with exactly what I'm seeking.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Full Sail is not regionally accredited, so if you eventually want to transfer credit, it either won't happen or will be extremely difficult.

A quick look shows that Valencia College has several creative writing courses, so depending on what your goal is, they may have a program to help (Or just take individual classes):
CRW:Creative Writing < Valencia College
Not looking to transfer anything, as I have no intention of transferring to other colleges. My [serious] college days are long done lol. I'm strictly looking to do this for fun.

Individual courses at Valencia might work. I'll check out what they have.

THANKS!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:03 PM

You might want to go to a writers’ workshop at some point. Many are in pretty cool locations.

There’s no reason to be intimidated by the other writers as I was.

You really have to do your due diligence to find a good one, or you’ll end with what was merely an expensive vacation.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,980,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not looking to transfer anything, as I have no intention of transferring to other colleges. My [serious] college days are long done lol. I'm strictly looking to do this for fun.

THANKS!
Since you're in Seminole County, you might check out Seminole State College -- might be more convenient for you, depending on where in the county you're located.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,417,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

THANKS!
If you're going to do it to actually learn something, you should consider going with a local community college that's accredited. I lived in Orlando 5 years and heard tons of bad things about Full Sail. I'd highly question whether the money you spend for something that I'm sure you're using for more than "fun" is going to be wiser there than at a local school who would more likely have better quality instructors than that of a for-profit "university".

Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
If you're going to do it to actually learn something, you should consider going with a local community college that's accredited. I lived in Orlando 5 years and heard tons of bad things about Full Sail. I'd highly question whether the money you spend for something that I'm sure you're using for more than "fun" is going to be wiser there than at a local school who would more likely have better quality instructors than that of a for-profit "university".
When I say "fun," I mean it as more along the lines of learning to improve my craft. It's been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, a a dream to one day have something published. I'm not particularly looking for a career per say (I have a decent one at current)but rather learn some tricks and methods, as well as explore various avenues in the writing world.

That said, yes, I will check out community college courses as well.

I asked here because I figured some would have a little bit of knowledge on Full Sail and other options, especially before I go pouring thousands of dollars into classes that might not teach me quality reflective of the price tag.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM

I think taking a creative writing class at Seminole State or the like could be a good idea.

The general atmosphere of writing classes is quite different than that of the classes you took for your engineering degree.

If you don’t like it, you won’t lose much. You’ll be around kindred spirits.

I was an English major but took several CS courses. Two different kinds of geekiness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando