Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times

Advertisements

Until recently I had never even heard it referred to as Wekiwa. I've always known it as Wekiva.

I see some websites say one, some say the other. One actually said Wekiva Springs is next to Wekiwa Springs...

I can't seem to find any clear cut answer are these the same place and if so which is the correct name or is it like Tuskawilla and Tuscawilla, same thing two different spellings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I always call it Wekiva as well but I have seen it spelled both ways.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Same place just different spelling. Check out Wekiva Marina on a weekend, pretty happening place to grab a beer and hang out by the River.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:39 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I think (from a quick look on wikipedia), the park is Wekiwa and the river is Wekiva. Either way, I've never heard anyone pronounce it with a "w". I always say Wekiva.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM

56 posts, read 168,569 times
The Indians that lived in the area used the w spelling for still water and the v spelling for moving water.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefla View Post
The Indians that lived in the area used the w spelling for still water and the v spelling for moving water.

Interesting.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 9,120 times
I grew up in Apopka, and now I'm 58 yrs old. When I young, there wasn't any Wekiva. Wekiwa Springs rd was paved to Wekiva Springs Park, Where Sweetwater Oaks subdivision is, the road was a dirt rd, and you pretty much needed a 4 wheel drive to go down it. I never heard of the word Wekiva, until they built a subdivsion named Wekiva, which is in Seminole county. Seminole county paved that dirt rd and named it Wekiva Springs rd. I found out from the rangers at Wekiwa Springs Park that the word Wekiwa is a indian word for bubbling water, and Wekiva is running water. The spring is in Orange county where it bubbles, comes up from the ground, and the water runs down, (the river) through Seminole county, where they use the word Wekiva.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisonthebeach View Post
I found out from the rangers at Wekiwa Springs Park that the word Wekiwa is a indian word for bubbling water, and Wekiva is running water. The spring is in Orange county where it bubbles, comes up from the ground, and the water runs down, (the river) through Seminole county, where they use the word Wekiva.
I've heard rangers say that at the park as well, but they are just stating what they've been told, and it is not accurate. The truth is that Wekiwa (with a W) is the Creek-Seminole word for a spring. The pronunciation of a soft-w, sometimes perceived as a v, resulted in cartographers mislabeling maps in later years. The maps drawn in 1838 and 1849 were spelled Wekiwa. And contrary to popular belief that Wekiva (with a V) means "flowing water", it was actually just an alternate spelling used by developers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: