Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys for the recommendations! It sounds like we should target our lodging close to Mills/Colonial as a good central point, then go from there by walking or short Uber/Lyft rides. I think I found a good listing for that. Also, it looks like Sunrail has decent access between downtown and Winter Park.

The rowdiness of downtown sounds perfect for around 11pm onwards, after we have some drinks in us earlier in the evening .

As for VRBO vs Airbnb, I've honestly never had a bad experience with the latter. However, we only ever book somewhat established listings that have a lot of reviews, with an average 4.5/5 or higher. I admit I've never used VRBO before, though. In this case, the listings are quite pricey or don't have any reviews. And why the hell are hotels listed on there? Lol, there are other sites for hotels. Plus, we don't need to rent an entire home nor do we care for high end stuff. I can see the site being worth it if we had a big group of people, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:55 AM

109 posts, read 110,872 times
If you're coming over from Tampa, you may want to check out the Winter Garden Farmers Market (downtown Winter Garden near Plant St). It runs until 2 pm on Saturdays and is one of the better Farmers Markets I have seen in Florida. There is also a brewery there (Crooked Can) with excellent beer choices and several cool shops and restaurants to check out along Plant St.

The nightlife may not be exciting enough for you- they roll up the carpet by 11 pm, but the streets look beautiful at night as they have a large Christmas tree and the entire boulevard is lit up.

If that doesn't work for you, lunch along Park Ave in Winter Park is pretty cool. If it is a nice day there are many outdoor cafes. You might even check out the Winter Park boat ride after lunch and see some of the large homes including Mr. Rogers' house.

Enjoy!
@movetoorlando

Old 12-14-2018, 12:05 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Thank you guys for the recommendations! It sounds like we should target our lodging close to Mills/Colonial as a good central point, then go from there by walking or short Uber/Lyft rides. I think I found a good listing for that. Also, it looks like Sunrail has decent access between downtown and Winter Park.

The rowdiness of downtown sounds perfect for around 11pm onwards, after we have some drinks in us earlier in the evening .
In an ideal world, Sunrail would be so convenient to use on weekends. I use it during the week to travel from downtown (where I work) to Winter Park (for lunch with friends/clients or drinks after work, etc.) to even Sanford. But there lies the problem: it only runs during the week. No weekends. So you'll either need to drive or use the bus, the latter of which tends to have sketchy people on board.
Admittedly, a bus from downtown to Winter Park will likely not have too many roughnecks on there, but one never knows. I took a bus recently in the Bumby area to Sodo on a Sunday and it was filled with pleasant retirees going out for their Sunday errands. But I know it's not always like that.

If you're looking for rowdy (after 11PM) then yes, downtown will definitely have what you're looking for.

Enjoy!

Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post

As for VRBO vs Airbnb, I've honestly never had a bad experience with the latter. However, we only ever book somewhat established listings that have a lot of reviews, with an average 4.5/5 or higher. I admit I've never used VRBO before, though. In this case, the listings are quite pricey or don't have any reviews. And why the hell are hotels listed on there? Lol, there are other sites for hotels. Plus, we don't need to rent an entire home nor do we care for high end stuff. I can see the site being worth it if we had a big group of people, though.

Mills/Colonial is not really a walking area though. It's close to everything though. Sunrail is decent, but it's more of a commuter train, you'll be better off just doing Uber or Lyft most of the time. Airbnb is usually what millennials use, people who use Uber/Lyft, go with Airbnb. I've never met a person my age that uses VBRO. Like you said, just make sure the airbnb has good reviews, superhost is a big plus. VBRO is pretty old school, I used it once and while the place was fine, the system is just outdated. Enjoy your time!

Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Mills/Colonial is not really a walking area though. It's close to everything though. Sunrail is decent, but it's more of a commuter train, you'll be better off just doing Uber or Lyft most of the time. Airbnb is usually what millennials use, people who use Uber/Lyft, go with Airbnb. I've never met a person my age that uses VBRO. Like you said, just make sure the airbnb has good reviews, superhost is a big plus. VBRO is pretty old school, I used it once and while the place was fine, the system is just outdated. Enjoy your time!
I agree about Mills/50... It's WALKABLE, but not really a WALKING AREA. That said, if you get a Uber to drop you off by, say, St-Matthews Tavern on Mills, you'll be within quick walk to several other places.

Similarly, if you get dropped off at East End Market, you'll be near a few other cool little places, including one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall bars, Big Daddy's (warning, it's pretty smokey in there... I don't smoke) and a really nice Ramen spot (Domu.)

But for the most part, I'd suggest Winter Park/Park Ave or Baldwin Park during the day, and then head downtown at night. All of these are close to each other, and all are actual walking areas lines with shops, bars, etc., and all have very different vibes from on another. This should be enough to keep you busy for a weekend.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
...and a really nice Ramen spot (Domu.)

Try Jinya Ramen, it's in Downtown/Thornton Park. I go to Japan every two years and their Tonkotsu Ramen is legit! It beats Domu and Sapporo Ramen easily (those two were my favs in Orlando prior to Jinya opening).

Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Agree with others. Park Ave in Winter Park is must-hit in the afternoon. Lots of great places to eat there. My favorite is Prato. There are a couple good wine bars there too like The Wine Room and The Parkview.

A really unique bar you should make a point to visit is The Imperial on Ivanhoe. This is in the Mills/Virginia/Ivanhoe area just north of downtown which has lots of little bars here and there. It's a craft beer and wine bar situated inside a global import furniture market. I can guarantee you've never seen anything like it. Great place to start a night of drinking before going downtown.

For downtown if you like craft cocktails joints check out The Courtesy and The Woods. They are both really close to each other on Orange Ave (the Woods is upstairs). The Hanson Building is another interesting spot with 3 floors of bars one of which is a speakeasy on top requiring a password which you can get on their twitter page.

The Hanson Building | 27 East Pine St. Orlando, Fl

For dancing I like Eve on Orange Ave and The Attic on Pine St. Between all of these bars I mentioned there are lots of places to bar hop.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Agree with others. Park Ave in Winter Park is must-hit in the afternoon. Lots of great places to eat there. My favorite is Prato. There are a couple good wine bars there too like The Wine Room and The Parkview.

A really unique bar you should make a point to visit is The Imperial on Ivanhoe. This is in the Mills/Virginia/Ivanhoe area just north of downtown which has lots of little bars here and there. It's a craft beer and wine bar situated inside a global import furniture market. I can guarantee you've never seen anything like it. Great place to start a night of drinking before going downtown.

For downtown if you like craft cocktails joints check out The Courtesy and The Woods. They are both really close to each other on Orange Ave (the Woods is upstairs). The Hanson Building is another interesting spot with 3 floors of bars one of which is a speakeasy on top requiring a password which you can get on their twitter page.

The Hanson Building | 27 East Pine St. Orlando, Fl

For dancing I like Eve on Orange Ave and The Attic on Pine St. Between all of these bars I mentioned there are lots of places to bar hop.

I like the Hanson Building too!

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Thanks again guys! Ended up finding lodging near Florida Hospital/Orlando Science Center - almost central to most of the neighborhoods yall are talking about. Looking forward to our weekend there!

Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Awesome. While you're there, check out "Better than Sex." Very cool dessert spot.

And one of my favorites, "The Hammered Lamb." It's a very unassuming place, but you'd be surprised at how good their food it. It's basically a full-service bar that can get somewhat rowdy, but also happens to have some great stuff.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando