Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was reading a few other posts about Disney, but wanted more specific detailed responses, I'm a junior in school looking to graduate next year,

Earlier this week at my university there was a recruiter for Disney. I decided to go to the meeting, and see what it was about. I have a classmate who went a few years ago and said he really enjoyed it. The video looked pretty fake with a bunch of smiling people. I went ahead and filled out an application, and got a phone interview the next day. The lady who called didn't even seem interested in what I had to say. I gave some really good answers, but it didn't sound like she was really listening. They said within about 2 or 3 weeks I'd get a response in the mail stating if I got offered a position or was declined from the college program.

My question is- Is the college internship program worth it?? Is it really worth it to take a semester away from school to basically put on resumes I worked for Disney? The jobs I could be working (attractions, merchandise, hospitality, lifeguard) are jobs that aren't really geared towards my degree in PR. But again, having Disney on a resume for a professional position in the future could also pay off. I also figure it's possible that during my stay there will be a lot of networking opportunities.

Has anyone who's gone through the internship program have it pay off for them for future jobs? I mean, if I don't go to Disney world, I'd just find an internship program here in Texas where I live. The environment sounds fun, and the opportunity to meet a lot of people from all over the world sounds terrific. but-I'm also not one to have a fake appearance with the fake smile people seem to post from other threads. I'm pretty straightforward with people, and nice, just not the way Disney seems to promote it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:03 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
If you like working for a monopolistic, slave-like company than go for it. Disney is BAD!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
I wouldn`t work for Disney they are a piece of crap.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
yeah thats what ive been reading from other posts. i dont want to arrive and be stuck for a few months doing work i'm not too fond about. meeting a lot of new people, and supposedly going to the beach when i dont have to work sounds pretty fun though. idk if that outweighs the slave work you all say disney supposedly does to people.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
It's work experience but most employers won't care all that much that you worked at Disney. You will get no more brownie points than having worked at McDonalds, maybe even less.

Disney needs lots of cheap workers on the low end, it's how their business runs, so they look for college students and people without alot of commitments. It's just a job and some people like it, some people hate it.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 PM

91 posts, read 496,100 times
Most people like it. There are some who don't. Part of it is attitude. I worked there when I was a teenager back in the 70's and had a good time. I've worked there for over 23 years now as a hourly and then management. If it was so bad 55,000 people would not be there. The turn over rate isn't any different than any other big company.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:05 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
From what I have gathered from students, particularly those working an internship from abroad, the answer is a resounding "NO!" It does not appeal to everyone. As near as I could tell, it didn't appeal to anyone from France. Students working (at Epcot) in
Norway, Morocco, Mexico and Italy were not particularly enthused with the experience and simply made the best of it.

I was not in a hiring /firing position, but well, I have never had a clue how to mind my own business. Oh, and I love to talk to people, all people.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalt10 View Post
Most people like it. There are some who don't. Part of it is attitude. I worked there when I was a teenager back in the 70's and had a good time. I've worked there for over 23 years now as a hourly and then management. If it was so bad 55,000 people would not be there. The turn over rate isn't any different than any other big company.
The main reason why so many people work there is because most of the other jobs in Orlando stink, unless you're in sales and like making other people insanely rich. Orlando is a lose-lose city, it will go nowhere. They get rid of all the good radio stations and then fire all the good DJs on other good radio stations. That place always goes in the wrong direction.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
It's Doc! LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
It's Doc! LOL
Sounded more like Grumpy to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando