Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 10:54 AM

129 posts, read 339,597 times

Advertisements

We live in the border of Seminole and Orange at 417 @ Aloma. We very much want to move from this house but are not finding what we like in this high school zone. I want to stay closer to Winter Park and 417 access to 408 and the Airport, so we've looked at some areas just a exit or two down 417 off University and Colonial.

My youngest son has two years left in High School. He's actively involved in multiple varsity sports and is in a dual-enrollment program with his NJROTC and Embry-Riddle. He's not extremely social in the sense that he doesn't have strong friendships with other people at school, he's just one of the guys. I mention that just because he's been indifferent to the possibility of moving.

With the School Choice options being presented by the state now, is it possible to live in Orange and attend a school in Seminole? I know the stipulation for most of these Choice programs is if there is an open spot at the school, but I think that presumes you're trying to attend a new school, a desirable school. In our case, we just don't want to disrupt his existing attendance at a school.

Anyone have any insight or experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
There would need to be a spot open at the desired school, whether it is an established one or a brand new one.

Below are the school choice websites for Orange and Seminole Counties.

https://www.ocps.net/departments/school_choice
https://www.scps.k12.fl.us/district/...gnment-access/

Old 12-30-2018, 06:55 PM

129 posts, read 339,597 times
I understand those links, I've visited them, but like I mentioned, the presumption there is that you are attempting to change schools. My question is about remaining in the same school, or is that essentially irrelevant in the context of the rules. I've seen nothing in the FAQs related to remaining in a school despite moving out of that zone or district.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
You are moving out of district and have to change schools.
Your Orange Tax dollars are not funding your Seminole school.

The only exception would realistically be if your student has already began their senior year in the same school they have been at for their Junior year.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4powells View Post
I understand those links, I've visited them, but like I mentioned, the presumption there is that you are attempting to change schools. My question is about remaining in the same school, or is that essentially irrelevant in the context of the rules. I've seen nothing in the FAQs related to remaining in a school despite moving out of that zone or district.
Oh. I've never thought of it that way. Most of the narrative and intent behind these state rules are about leaving one's current school. I wonder if districts even have well-defined guidelines for the families that move to another zone or county yet wish to remain in the same school.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Oh. I've never thought of it that way. Most of the narrative and intent behind these state rules are about leaving one's current school. I wonder if districts even have well-defined guidelines for the families that move to another zone or county yet wish to remain in the same school.
None of them are particularly welcoming of what was an unfunded state mandate.
Previously, and in a few other cases currently, tuition can be paid to attend a school out of your zoned district.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:38 PM

66 posts, read 78,788 times
Question Home school vs Attend Bad rated High School

I'll be following this thread as, my child too is caught between attend a really bad HS in Orange Co. or go the Home School option. Besides magnet programs are there any other options like a voucher?

Old 12-31-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
None of them are particularly welcoming of what was an unfunded state mandate.
That's the Florida way!

Old 12-31-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
That's the Florida way!

The state shouldn't have the right to make such a mandate. You live in a district, you go to that district.

You knew when you bought or rented.
Property values and taxes are tied to your district.

Don't like the school zone you live in. Move.
Want your kids to finish where they started... Don't move.

You get what you pay for.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The state shouldn't have the right to make such a mandate. You live in a district, you go to that district.

You knew when you bought or rented.
Property values and taxes are tied to your district.

Don't like the school zone you live in. Move.
Want your kids to finish where they started... Don't move.

You get what you pay for.
We're on the same side.

It's amazing that we've had the same educational ideology in place in Florida for 21 years and federally since 2001 with NO change federally between 2008-2016 despite the political party change. Yet if you oppose them today, you're still called a protector of the "status quo." THEY are the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: