Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,643 times

Advertisements

I have been in Atlanta almost a decade now and while it's great for my career(payment processing/fintech), I feel like I've outgrown the city. Background about me and what I am looking for:
Early 30s
African American lesbian(I date interracially and also have a diverse friend group)
I love warm weather and prefer the beach over the mountains
Looking to be in an urban area or very close
Liberal
Love theatre, museums, and sporting events

I plan to visit within the next couple of months, but just looking to get some insight as to whether or not the area would be a good fit for the next stage in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Orlando would be the better choice if you want more laid back small city environment. Based on what you want you will definetly not be satisfied here. Miami would be your best bet in FL.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
What about Atlanta are you not liking? The list of wants you provided seems to scream Atlanta.

Also, Orlando is really just another standard sunbelt city, but in Florida, and with some rather horrible urban planning. I'm not sure it would be your best fit...

Old 02-04-2019, 01:01 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What about Atlanta are you not liking? The list of wants you provided seems to scream Atlanta.

Also, Orlando is really just another standard sunbelt city, but in Florida, and with some rather horrible urban planning. I'm not sure it would be your best fit...
While Atlanta is ethnically diverse, it's still segregated. I don't mesh well with Southern born people, even those in my age group. Most of my friends are international born and or raised( I'm from the mid Atlantic)

There arent any decent cities near by, Chattanooga and Birmingham are nice for a weekend visit once or twice.

I have been to all of the museums here. It seems like the festivals and theatre shows are similar as well

Old 02-04-2019, 03:21 PM

58 posts, read 59,603 times
I literally am you but a gay African American/Filipino. TBH, I'm seriously considering moving back to Nashville. I've been here since 2012 and I think I've had my fill of Orlando. Orlando outside of the tourist area is much slower than I expected. There are small (emphasis on small) urban communities popping up now, but I'm sure the urban life will pick up sometime after 2020.

Culture, arts, and festivals... it's nothing to write home about, but it's growing also.

In most aspects, everything about the city is on the up rise, but I'm not sure of how long it'll take to pick up around here.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:31 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I have been in Atlanta almost a decade now and while it's great for my career(payment processing/fintech), I feel like I've outgrown the city. Background about me and what I am looking for:
Early 30s
African American lesbian(I date interracially and also have a diverse friend group) There seems to be a nice-sized community here.
I love warm weather and prefer the beach over the mountains Check. However, it'll be a 45 minute drive. That should be reasonable for an ATL transplant though. :-)
Looking to be in an urban area or very close Orlando is no small town, but it's not Atlanta/Dallas/Houston/Miami. It's in the middle.
Liberal Check
Love theatre, museums, and sporting eventsMuseums are up for debate and I'm not too familiar with them to have a strong opinion. However, between here and Tampa, which is around 70 to 90 minutes away depending on where you live, you'll have access to all major league sports, virtually all major musical theatre tours, and perhaps a decent to good local theatre scene.

I plan to visit within the next couple of months, but just looking to get some insight as to whether or not the area would be a good fit for the next stage in my life.
My comments are in bold.

Orlando is growing and could be metro Atlanta as far as population and such 10-15 years from now. However, you state that you are outgrowing Atlanta. If you're looking for something really urban in Florida, Miami may be your best bet. Culturally speaking, I see Atlanta as a big version of Charlotte, NC or Columbia, SC. Miami is a big version of Orlando.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:20 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
As a member of the LGBT community I too would recommend Miami for it's diversity and lack of separation you seem to be witnessing in Atlanta. Another option you might consider is Houston, which surprisingly is a fit for your criteria in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 7,366 times
Mimai is one of the worst places you could move to. Orlando is better in every way.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getwhatyouwant View Post
Mimai is one of the worst places you could move to. Orlando is better in every way.
While I agree, it very much depends on what one is looking for.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 7,366 times
You just have to pick the right part of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando