Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM

675 posts, read 2,677,963 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are seriously contemplating a move from the Boston suburbs to Windermere (chosen based on location, schools, and crime rates). Reading many of the posts and threads here have got me pretty freaked out. Specifically, one poster mentioned that if you are coming from a safe, upper middle class town with good schools in the NE, then you will be in for the shock of your life if you move to the Orlando area, yikes
Basically, DH may be starting with a new company, and his sales territory encompasses everything from Dallas to Boston, with several important clients in the greater Orlando area. He will work from home, but fly several times a month, and he likes the Orlando airport for that. Kids and I are looking for a lifestyle change from MA. (We have zero family here). We are originallyfrom So Cal, and are looking for somewhere we can golf year-round, swim, visit the beaches, go for walks etc. I don't mind the heat and humity too much. And of course, we do love Disney. We would like a solid upper middle class neighborhood. Nothing too exclusive or snobby though. Safety and schools are our top priority, but we really would like to find a place that is family oriented and has a sense of community. Windermere is in our price range, for a decent sized home in a gated community.
I have heard that a lot of the Orlando area is transitory. Is this true? Seems like a whole lot of homes for sale. We once lived in North Dallas, and honestly you never knew who your neighbors were due to all of the moves, relo's, and bank owned properties. It was not good.
Sorry for the length of this post, but this is a big decision, and we want to make sure it is a good one.
One last thing, a friend of mine has recommended Windermere Prep in lieu of the public schools. Is it a nightmare of rich exclusitivity, or a place for a great education? Would it be worth the cost?
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by 2KidsforMe; 04-10-2008 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM

732 posts, read 4,149,384 times
a nightmare of rich exclusitivity

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM

986 posts, read 3,538,158 times
Default Hi there

Well i dont know if this will help you, but i am a Realtor and i deal with the Windermere and Winter Garden areas, i i think they are great. I wouldnt choose to live anywhere else in the Orlando, and yes i live here with my wife and our 7 yer old daughter. Where we are we dont have a problem with crime and we are very happy with the schools, and there are some great deals to be had on homes. But i also want to offer you my opinion, because i am not a Florida native. I am originally from the UK but met my wife here and have been here for 5 years. She is originally from Tennassee and we both love the standard of our lives. To be completely honest, each person is different and what i like may be something completely different to what suits you and your family. We love it, but of course there are problem areas, but there are in every town and state. No where is perfect and i challenge anyone to show mw place that is. You will find alot of negative comments on here, some are extremely biased and unwarranted. Some are genuine. My advice is keep an open mind. If you find yourself in town i would be more than happy to show you guys around the nice areas in Winter Garden/Windermere. There is some new fantastic shooping which has also just opened and the commute to the airport is real easy and only about 30 min away.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 PM

71 posts, read 402,428 times
My husband and I will be there in August to 'research' different areas. Our goal is to move within the year. cfIfan ~ May I ask what the median price range is for a home in Windermere and Winter Garden?

My husband works from home and I homeschool our kids. While we won't be using the public schools I still want to be surrounded by people who care about the schools that their children attend. Safety and quality of life are of the utmost importance to us. With that said, we're definitely not looking for snobby and we live by the golden rule.

We plan to check out towns and neighborhoods within a 30 - 40 minute radius from Disney World...aka my laughing place.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM

67 posts, read 266,206 times
We just moved into Summerport (google that HOA) in Windermere. We love it! Don't worry about the posts. They are just overblown. We are from the MidWest (middle class America). Nothing scary here. We feel very safe and it is just beautiful.

The elementary and middle schools are brand new and great. I am a bit concerned about the high school, though (West Orange). But, that is a few years off. The new mall in Winter Garden is also wonderful.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM

541 posts, read 1,989,545 times
Our friend lives in Summerport. It is a nice townhome but wow it feels like the middle of nowhere. There do not seem to be a lot of people living in there yet. Are there a lot of vacation homes? Many seem empty.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,133,721 times
For Windermere, 34786, the Median Price of homes sold over the past 14 months has ranged from 350-695K. With an average price between 626K and 1.26Mil.....skewed with the extremely high priced homes in the area.

For Winter Garden 34787, the Medina price of homes sold over the past 14 months has ranged from 253-320K. With an average price between 267K and 363K.

Windermere is certainly a great area, but you may also want to check out Bay Hill and Dr. Phillips area. The edge both have to Windermere is the public high school is much better rated. Homes are still moving quite well in the area with less foreclosures per capita than other area's around CFL.

P.S. I can't find anything on OCPS, but I keep hearing rumor's there will be a releif high school built in the Windermere area sometime in the next few hears. Nothing I've confirmed yet though.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,298,077 times
Windermere sounds like a good fit as far as what you're looking for in neighborhood but not necessarily school. Winter Park may be a better fit for you school wise but the area is not quite as quiet and safe as Windermere because it's in the core of the city. Winter Park, the area you would be looking to live in anyways, is not dangerous but not as quiet as Windermere. Best way I can explain it, Windermere is like Newton, Wellesley or Natick (except the public schools may not be as good). Winter Park is more like Brookline, nice affluent area but pretty much a part of the city. You may want to consider Tuskiwilla, Heathrow and Wekiwa(sweetwater) also. These are nice Seminole county communities with good schools. These areas are comparable to Wayland or Marlborough, a little further out and more suburban.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM

675 posts, read 2,677,963 times
Thanks Crane's, sounds like you are familiar with MetroWest Boston? We currently live in Southborough, so I get your references. Very helpfull. If we deceide on Windermere, we may go private with the schools. We do prefer towns that are more quiet and Suburban.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,298,077 times
No problem. I lived in Boston/New England for a few years while in school. If I can be of anymore assistance just let me. Go Sox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando