Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeNC04 View Post
Thank you Kyle, these places were not even on my radar. I will definitely check them out. Do you think the commute would be terrible from those neighborhoods to Osceola Regional. Is the rush hour traffic there every which way like in DC?
While many might say the commute would be horrible, I would render it a blip on the radar comparably speaking....not even close to as harrowing as I too have had a lot of experience with DC traffic. It would be roughly 50 miles each direction and play at around an hour to hour and 10 minutes each direction, largely minus any white knuckle traffic via the 417 which except for a couple of short spans maintains 70-75 mph+. Northern Seminole County's relative calm and lack of congestion/traffic could very well be worth the commute for you and still is close enough for the occasional desire for a trip to the theme parks on weekends and is closest to the beaches (about 45 minutes to New Smyrna Beach).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 01:20 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
Quote:
Mayas Transportation sounds great. I will have to keep that in mind. Is Dr.Phillips a one or two zip code area? I was plugging it in to this awesome website I found on these boards about how districts voted and I noticed two different zip codes (trying to stay in the blue, lol). Is there a community that you would recommend?
Dr. Phillips is mostly in the 32819 and 32836 zip codes, as well as the very southern part of 32835 along Conroy-Windermere Rd. Some of 32819 includes a poor area called Tangelo Park and the tourist corridor along International Drive which may affect the overal crime statistics. I’ve lived in DP for most of my life, and I’d say the boundaries are basically this: Conroy-Windermere Rd. on the north end, down south along Apopka-Vineland Rd. to where it meets Lake Buena Vista, and then east over to Turkey Lake Rd./Palm Parkway.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:29 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
Quote:
We are looking for a neighborhood where there are parks, families with children, walkable if possible or fairly close to eclectic restaurants, entertainment and shopping. Of course diverse and live and let live attitude. As far as actual amenities, we are considering a golf community although none of us are real golfers, yet! Definitely tennis players so would want that readily available and of course our own private pool. We are looking for new homes since I understand building regulations change for hurricane prone areas. We need a fairly large house, 6 bedrooms min and thinking ballpark budget of 800k-900k. I just saw a beautiful home in Winter Park (Via something) and I have looked on line a lot at Windermere since a friend lives there but have not looked in Dr.Phillips. Thanks for the advice!
Walkable is very hard to find in Orlando (especially from a golf community), but if you want to be close to eclectic restaurants, coffee shops, and a lot of the cultural and community events here I’d recommend living near downtown Orlando. Look at Thornton Park, Delaney Park, Lake Eola Heights, Audubon Park, Orwin Manor, Winter Park, Ivanhoe Village, College Park... also I wouldn’t necessarily only look at new homes because of hurricanes- a friend lives in a home built in the 20s in Thornton Park and it’s solid concrete. I’m pretty sure it’d take a tornado to knock it down. Homes were built to last back then.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Walkable is very hard to find in Orlando (especially from a golf community), but if you want to be close to eclectic restaurants, coffee shops, and a lot of the cultural and community events here I’d recommend living near downtown Orlando. Look at Thornton Park, Delaney Park, Lake Eola Heights, Audubon Park, Orwin Manor, Winter Park, Ivanhoe Village, College Park... also I wouldn’t necessarily only look at new homes because of hurricanes- a friend lives in a home built in the 20s in Thornton Park and it’s solid concrete. I’m pretty sure it’d take a tornado to knock it down. Homes were built to last back then.
I give two thumbs up to this post. One for the downtown-ish recommendation, and the other for the older home recommendation. Older homes have been through several hurricanes, and they're still standing.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 1,490 times
Move to Lake Nona.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
While many might say the commute would be horrible, I would render it a blip on the radar comparably speaking....not even close to as harrowing as I too have had a lot of experience with DC traffic. It would be roughly 50 miles each direction and play at around an hour to hour and 10 minutes each direction, largely minus any white knuckle traffic via the 417 which except for a couple of short spans maintains 70-75 mph+. Northern Seminole County's relative calm and lack of congestion/traffic could very well be worth the commute for you and still is close enough for the occasional desire for a trip to the theme parks on weekends and is closest to the beaches (about 45 minutes to New Smyrna Beach).
I'd rather drive in DC than take I4 from Sanford/Lake Mary to Kissimmee... 417 is a good option, but is prone to some pretty nasty backups in the event of a single accident, as exits are few and far in between, and backups end up being miles long with no turnaround options.

That said, I also would suggest those very neighborhoods. If you end up at Osceola Regional, the ideal commute would be to take the Sunrail, as the hospital is some 5 minutes walking distance from the Kissimmee stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sanf...1552262460!3e3

I know quite a few people who work at FL Hospital (Advent, whatever), and Kissimmee Regional, who use it as opposed to fighting daily traffic. The trains are nice and clean. Highly recommended if working near a stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando