U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 PM

302 posts, read 995,782 times

Advertisements

Is it true that the Guardian Angels are now in Orlando trying to curb the violence? I'm out of town and a friend mentioned this to me. It seems that the community and police are not working hard enough for the murder rate to lower or stop.

Can anyone let me know if there is any truth to this. I'll be back in O'town before the holidays. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 10:21 PM

99 posts, read 521,261 times
Default It's true

It's true. Here's the article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

I personally think this is great news. I don't know how effective they are in combating crime, but their cause is just and very much needed in some neighborhoods. They are also here for a reason so this should serve as a "wake up" call to the police departments.

Crimes have gone up a lot in recent times and may be a natural consequence to the growth of the city. What's important for Orlando is proper planning. Put much more officers on the streets, equip them with modern tools, and use the justice system to enforce the laws.

I welcome the Guardian Angels.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 7,772,429 times
Yes, it's true. They are in the Pine Hills/Parramore neighborhoods which is where the vast majority of the violent crime in Orlando happens. I think I also read that they may visit the Kissimmee area as well.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,590,417 times
didnt you live in south florida for a while? I though i read a post to that effect once

Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 362,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
didnt you live in south florida for a while? I though i read a post to that effect once
UNFORTUNATELLY, I did. The dog was stolen from the house's backyard inside the miltary base!!! Not by a soldier, by a local resident, everyone in the base knew about it, they were pissed.

South Fla is 100x worst than Central FL, no doubt. Don't get me wrong Orlando has changed, it used to be wonderul.

Merry Christmas!!

Chris

Old 12-20-2006, 09:12 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,848,442 times
The Guardian Angels are in Orlando, see website for reference:http://www.guardianangels.org/index.php

Regional Directors

Asia : Keiji Oda

East Coast : Frank Lee

Western Region: Sebastian Metz

Florida: William Cruz and Wilka Claro

Mid-Atlantic Region: John Ayala

California: Erik Wong

UK: Sedleigh Adams

Canada: : Lou Hoffer

Africa: : Charl Viljoen

New Zealand: : Ed Park

Phillipines: : Jin Kimur

Old 01-06-2007, 09:21 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,848,442 times
Thumbs up Guardian Angels Return To Orlando

The Guardian Angels are once again patrolling the streets of Orlando, and this weekend they will start training local recruits.

Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa was here last month drumming up support for a local chapter of the crime fighting group. This is in response to the record number of murders in Orlando and Orange County last year.

Sliwa and Guardian Angels volunteers from Miami are patrolling the Parramore neighborhood this weekend.

On Saturday they will be out patrolling the OBT area and hold a town hall meeting. Then on Sunday, the group will begin training the first Orlando recruits.

If you're interested, the town hall meeting starts at 2 p.m. Saturday in the David Van Gelder Gallieries on Amelia Street.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 AM

28 posts, read 173,245 times
Default Update!

I have to agree w/Christian 11 `s comments regarding the state of Orlando.
As of today the 8th of Jan 07 the Angels are back in town for a second time.This time they are here to recruit and train local area residents.
The training will last for three months.Will this do anything to curb the crime?Who knows.
I`ve have lived in the Orlando area for the past 31 years and can tell you this city is out of control.Just last night the Walgreen`s across the street from Universal Strudios was robbed by 4 to 5 armed men w/rifles and hand guns.The cops usually have more of a presence is the tourist areas ,but it seems to have little effect these days.

You can paint it anyway you want but you don`t hear half of what goes on around here in the papers or in the news media because of the almighty tourist dollar.

When it comes to the Good and Bad points about living in the Metro Orlando area the scales are definitely tipped towards the bad.Its sad but true and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Moderator cut: quote cut as it was against the rules

Old 01-10-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,549 times
Default couldn't agree with you more Christian11

I have lived in and around the Orlando area for 20 years, and am now ready to bail outta here!!! The statistics show that our unemployment rate is low, however, most jobs here are low paying. They are at theme parks or restaurants. Traffic is horrible. Many Orlando residents barely speak the English language. It can be frustrating, then they get upset with YOU when you don't understand them.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:38 PM

91 posts, read 472,746 times
I've lived here for 36 years. I moved here when I was 10 years old. I've worked at the same place for 22 years. It used to take me 20 minutes to get to work and now it takes 50. I have to agree with Christian11 even if he hasn't been here that long. I don't like slamming Orlando because this is where I've grown up.
But this place has gone to Hell. Yes all towns that grow have problems but it is getting out of control. I have owned the house I live in for over 12 years now. Someone broke in our house about 6 years ago and wiped us out. Then we were broken into again about 3 years ago. They stole everything. OPD called me a year after that break in and told me the found my 9mm. A drug dealer had it and shot some people with it. We had our house broke in again for the 3rd time a few weeks ago. Of course the police say they can't do anything. They had a shooting close to my house not long ago. I was talking to a couple of OPD officers. They said they wouldn't live here. They live outside the county. They even told me it was getting crazy and time to get out. I'm done. We will be gone by the summer.
I would rather Orlando be a great town and stay but I think that it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando