Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:27 PM

19 posts, read 27,287 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I’m posting again because I just had one more question in regards to racism/discrimination in Orlando. Forgive me if I get some information wrong I’ve been reading multiple posts and just trying to see what’s true or not.

Firstly, one of the things that I read was that central Florida or more so north Florida is comparable to the Deep South in that it’s racist. Is this true for Orlando as well? Of course I know that racism exists everywhere but I’m curious to know how bad it is.

The next thing that I found interesting was how it seems as though Haitians and Latinos don’t like Black Americans and I’m assuming that the blacks don’t like them them either?

I was really shocked to see this information online as I thought Orlando is a melting pot. My family and I are interested in being in an ethnically diverse area but not at the expense of constant racial tension (if this is the case).

I would love it if someone (preferably black) could give there perspective on Orlando in regards to my above concerns. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 02:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
I’m Asian, not Black but have lived in cities like Seattle and San Francisco which are considered some of the most welcoming to diversity. I don’t see any real difference here in terms of racism. It’s quite friendly and diverse especially if you live in the non rural parts. All in all I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d say Orlando is well above average when it comes to welcoming diversity.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM

116 posts, read 137,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malasiaj View Post
Hi,
I’m posting again because I just had one more question in regards to racism/discrimination in Orlando. Forgive me if I get some information wrong I’ve been reading multiple posts and just trying to see what’s true or not.

Firstly, one of the things that I read was that central Florida or more so north Florida is comparable to the Deep South in that it’s racist. Is this true for Orlando as well? Of course I know that racism exists everywhere but I’m curious to know how bad it is.

The next thing that I found interesting was how it seems as though Haitians and Latinos don’t like Black Americans and I’m assuming that the blacks don’t like them them either?

I was really shocked to see this information online as I thought Orlando is a melting pot. My family and I are interested in being in an ethnically diverse area but not at the expense of constant racial tension (if this is the case).

I would love it if someone (preferably black) could give there perspective on Orlando in regards to my above concerns. Thanks!

I lived in Orlando for over half a decade and recently wrote an extensive post on it to which I'll post the link below.

I don't know where you're from but if you're from the New York area you're in for somewhat of a let down.

I don't want to make too long of a post so I will say this, people tend to stick to their own ethnicity.
Black Americans black Americans, Haitians with Haitians, Jamaica's with Jamaicans etc etc.
Latinos who can be of any race have no comradery with black people here. Even the black ones.
when it comes to more professional jobs or even nicer customer service jobs black Americans are for the most part absent.

//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...-moving-2.html

Last edited by RWSWJ; 06-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 06-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Im from Chicago. It’s disappointing to know that there are so many different ethnicities in Orlando and yet people just stick to their own. That’s not really a diverse experience. Also, it’s alarming that Black Americans can’t seem to obtain professional jobs. This is making my idea of moving to Orlando less likely.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:56 PM

116 posts, read 137,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malasiaj View Post
Im from Chicago. It’s disappointing to know that there are so many different ethnicities in Orlando and yet people just stick to their own. That’s not really a diverse experience. Also, it’s alarming that Black Americans can’t seem to obtain professional jobs. This is making my idea of moving to Orlando less likely.
I will say this, there's a few hbcus in the state of Florida and there is a contingent of black Americans that are able achieve professional employment. Black people in Orlando don't have the clout or status they have in bigger cities like NY Chicago DC or Philadelphia. Also Central Florida has a tourist based economy and the wages are more depress they they are some big cities. Frankly Speaking Florida has some of the lowest wages in America.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...-lowest-nation

Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,366,765 times
I'm black, and moved down from a big urban Northern city...

I've never had any race-related issues here. I have a very professional job, and do business with people from all walks of life just fine. My coworkers range from Mexican, to Venezuelan, to Caribbean black, to white, and we mingle and get along just fine. One of them (white) is married to a Dominican. Another one (light-skinned Puerto Rican) is married to an African American. We go to Happy Hour together around the area. Often times, our personal friends come along, and the racial mix-up is even more enhanced.

I'm not going to post the link to my employer's website, but if you were to stumble upon it and go through the employee profiles, you would see a solid 30-40 well-established professionals, with probably 60% being non-white, with about half of that being black, ranging from African American, to Jamaican, to Trini, to actual African. I'd say this is a more accurate representation of the racial diversity in Orlando.

My children's sports teams are mixed as well, and everyone (parents and children) interacts with one another. If there is anything causing any sort of clicks to form, it's more of the socio-economic status than anything else. A black person earning $300,000 and living in Alaqua Lakes is likely going to be included in a circle of white people living a similar lifestyle versus a white person earning a [still respectable] $75,000 income and living in a small Lake Mary condo.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:53 AM

490 posts, read 517,926 times
Orlando is a melting pot and nobody is really from here. It's almost like when you first go to college, everything and everybody is new, you make friends quickly.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:59 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,652 times
Latins and blacks do not get along in Orlando.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Latins and blacks do not get along in Orlando.
Ever been to a soccer game?

Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Thank you all for your feedback!
Is there any particular reason why Latinos and Blacks don’t get along? That’s ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando