Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your $1100 budget is even on the lower end for a one bedroom in Orlando with the average around $1300, especially if wanting nice, safe and updated. Quite honestly if looking for a better lifestyle not spent driving excessive commute times and a higher quality place to live versus budget I'd recommend Melbourne versus the Orlando schlep. Melbourne has a growing population of young professionals thanks to Space Coast tech jobs and has seen a nice evolution of it's downtown in terms of bars/restaurants for more social life options not to mention all of the beach/water recreation possibilities in close proximity.

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...9vkiuz3G8u1h9O
While I agree that Melbourne is a nice town, it is still 45 minutes away from Cape Canaveral and 60 from NASA.

I would say give Titusville, Merritt Island, or even the beachside area close to Cape Canaveral a try. Check out the Brevard County/Space Coast forum to see if they have some areas that meet your needs without having to spend an hour in your car each way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
One thing to keep in mind: there is a direct shuttle that goes from Orlando to the space coast (and back) daily. Lots of NASA employees living in and around Orlando use it rather than drive. It leaves from the Fashion Square parking lot. The idea isn’t as far fetched or out there as some would think.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
While I agree that Melbourne is a nice town, it is still 45 minutes away from Cape Canaveral and 60 from NASA.

I would say give Titusville, Merritt Island, or even the beachside area close to Cape Canaveral a try. Check out the Brevard County/Space Coast forum to see if they have some areas that meet your needs without having to spend an hour in your car each way to work.
Yeah! I would rather live near the beach than in Orlando with it's horrible traffic.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM
aax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
One thing to keep in mind: there is a direct shuttle that goes from Orlando to the space coast (and back) daily. Lots of NASA employees living in and around Orlando use it rather than drive. It leaves from the Fashion Square parking lot. The idea isn’t as far fetched or out there as some would think.
Yah, but the problem is that bus gets stuck in bad traffic like any other vehicle.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Yah, but the problem is that bus gets stuck in bad traffic like any other vehicle.
Of course. But it’s an alternative versus one driving his own vehicle nonetheless. Just throwing it out there. You can get work done on the bus, or simply just relax.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
aax

Quote:
Of course. But it’s an alternative versus one driving his own vehicle nonetheless. Just throwing it out there. You can get work done on the bus, or simply just relax.
True.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM

491 posts, read 518,925 times
Downtown

Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Tons of people commute via shuttles in many cities. It’s a pretty convenient option for those wanting to live in more desirable areas far from work.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

Gaaah! That's true and always forget apparently how large Brevard County is. The only issue I see though is Northern Brevard was crushed post-recession and by the double whammy of NASA layoffs. There are signs it's coming back, but not to the level of what Melbourne has achieved. If I had to choose I would probably suggest Satellite Beach where the downturn was minimal, thanks largely to the continued operation of neighboring Patrick AFB.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 AM
aax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Gaaah! That's true and always forget apparently how large Brevard County is. The only issue I see though is Northern Brevard was crushed post-recession and by the double whammy of NASA layoffs. There are signs it's coming back, but not to the level of what Melbourne has achieved. If I had to choose I would probably suggest Satellite Beach where the downturn was minimal, thanks largely to the continued operation of neighboring Patrick AFB.
Orlando isn't worth the long commute. And Orlando traffic lights stay green for 3 seconds then red for 3 minutes. That trip take forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando