Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 16,461 times

Advertisements

I plan to retire to Clermont FL from NY end December 2019. Now am reading about sinkholes and that I should be careful in choosing Clermont. But I think I fell in love with the place. I like the fact that it is far inland and does not have much hurricane activity. Are the summers more brutal than NY and does it cool down at nights? One thing I have notice is that the older homes have a bit more personality; newer ones seems overpriced. Your thoughts please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardel View Post
But I think I fell in love with the place. I like the fact that it is far inland and does not have much hurricane activity. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMaI6h_V_Y

Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,652 times
Quote:
Are the summers more brutal than NY and does it cool down at nights?
Yes, no.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM

14 posts, read 15,648 times
Quote:
I plan to retire to Clermont FL from NY end December 2019. Now am reading about sinkholes and that I should be careful in choosing Clermont. But I think I fell in love with the place. I like the fact that it is far inland and does not have much hurricane activity. Are the summers more brutal than NY and does it cool down at nights? One thing I have notice is that the older homes have a bit more personality; newer ones seems overpriced. Your thoughts please.
We’ve lived in Clermont for 5 years. It’s a spectacular place to live. We’re close enough to the activities of Orlando and the parks to be there in 30 minutes, but far enough away to enjoy the quiet of a relatively small town (albeit growing). We’re also 90 mins. from either coast, but far enough inland to reduce exposure to the worst storms. Property taxes are moderate, but compared to other (expensive) parts of the country, not outrageously unreasonable.

Yes, it’s very hot between June and October, and no, it doesn’t cool off. But you adapt. However, the “win” is the climate during the other eight months of the year. Hence the “spectacular” nature of living here. People seem to focus on the summer as a reason not to move here. The fact is, the non-summers are THE reason to be here.

We have zero regrets about our choice to relocate.

The sinkhole issue is the source of WAY, WAY too much overreaction. It may happen once in a year near here, but because our topography is extremely hilly (unlike what most people are used to in FL), the rare sinkhole occurrences are in other counties. It is DEFINITELY NOT an issue that should cause someone to rethink a move to Clermont.

Hope this helps.

—Leo

Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 AM

197 posts, read 751,953 times
I agree with Traderboynh. We love living in Clermont. There are areas that have Clermont addresses, for example, the four corners area. We live in the 34711 zip code location. I call where we live like living “Under the Dome”. While Orlando has thunder and lightning storms, many times we don’t see a drop of rain where we live. We have been here 9 years and the only sinkhole I recall in Clermont was the one near Imagine School. We have never regretted living here. We’re just a few miles away from Walmart, BJs, a theater, a strip mall, the hospital, medical and dental offices, and many restaurants. As far as being hot, no matter where you go in Florida during the summer, it’s hot. That’s why we have a pool and AC. Besides, you’ll become acclimated.

Judy aka iuki

Old 07-13-2019, 04:17 PM
LVB

12 posts, read 23,784 times
Recently moved to nearby Groveland. Previously lived in NY. The summers are more humid but you adjust. I love the area. Clermont is a nice place, clean with many stores. I too was a bit concerned about sinkholes but when its your time........

As for the video above, they had some damage in a mobile home park and wow, that was a big puddle.........

Old 07-23-2019, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 13,632 times
The damaged home seems to be a very old model. Florida has upgraded their tie-down standards from mobile homes three times in the last thirty years. I bet the posts holding the carport top were flimsy and poorly attached to the concrete. Newer tie-down standards would have prevented that. But Florida doesn't warn buyers or provide guidance for upgrading mobile home tie-down standards (including under the home to prevent shifting or flipping in high winds).
Vance Jochim
FiscalRangers.com

Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 13,632 times
When buying a home in Florida, check with an insurance provider first to determine if the home is in a flood plain map. If so, insurance is higher and that gives you a clue.

When I bought my manufactured home in Tavares, north of Clermont, I didn't know it was in a flood plain, and had to pay higher insurance (Florida realtors never warn you about the true, future cost of taxes or insurance). Fortunately, about five years ago, the State revised their flood plain maps and mine was no longer in a flood plain. A clue would be that it was about TEN feet above the water level in the canal in my back yard.

As for sinkholes, do more research on areas that get hit, but they are pretty rare. Ask the insurance carrier whether they are covered and what the coverage is.
Vance Jochim
FiscalRangers.com

Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 PM

39 posts, read 41,918 times
Simply stated, you will love Clermont. Close to everything and a beautiful area. Stay in the 34711 zip code.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 5,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw115 View Post
Simply stated, you will love Clermont. Close to everything and a beautiful area. Stay in the 34711 zip code.
Why that area in particular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando