Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:09 AM

38 posts, read 305,584 times

Advertisements

When crime goes up it is usually related to an increase in drug sales.
NYC cracked down on drugs in the early 1990's for ten years and the crime went down.
Guiliani took credit but it was due to the cops and the fact that the state legislature and federal govt. gave NY money to hire more cops.
They went from 26,000 to 40,000 and crime went down.

Almost 75% of the crime was related to drugs. All kinds of drugs but not meth. NYC has just started to see meth on a big scale.
The violent crime is caused by dealers wanting to eliminate the competition and the informants.
Larceny, Burglary, Auto Theft and Robbery is caused by the addicts needing money for their habits.
NYC's Compstat system solved this by looking at the crime stats and assigning personnel to deal with it in the different areas and it worked.
Orlando has increased crime because it has two airports with very little drug enforcement and an increase in the Latin Kings and Mexican gangs fighting over turf. Since the drugs are usually sold in African American areas that is why they are the biggest victims.
In August over 50 Latin Kings were arrested in Tampa. They are a Puerto Rican gang from the Bronx in NYC. They know they can now hide amongst the other lawabiding members of that community.

The drugs are often transported at night or by females during the day. Sometimes they use children in the car to avoid any prying law enforcment eyes. Small amounts of drugs are then usually transported after a customer calls them on a cell phone or pay phone. They use small fast cars or motorcycles in case they have to run. It's also a macho thing. The cars will have weapons in "trap" compartments. The cars will not be falling apart like the white meth dealers in the suburbs.

Pickup places are all night places like laundry mats, fast food restaurant parking lots, motel parking lots. or sometimes gas stations. All night traffic from an apt or house is a dead give away.

The only way to lower the crime is too hire more cops and put them in the areas that are affected. You can't play it cheap and rely on overworked Sheriff's offices. The Orlando Police is going to have to bring in the DEA and triple their narcotics units. Until then, crime will continue to spread.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 AM

67 posts, read 292,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy263 View Post
When crime goes up it is usually related to an increase in drug sales.
NYC cracked down on drugs in the early 1990's for ten years and the crime went down.
Guiliani took credit but it was due to the cops and the fact that the state legislature and federal govt. gave NY money to hire more cops.
They went from 26,000 to 40,000 and crime went down.

Almost 75% of the crime was related to drugs. All kinds of drugs but not meth. NYC has just started to see meth on a big scale.
The violent crime is caused by dealers wanting to eliminate the competition and the informants.
Larceny, Burglary, Auto Theft and Robbery is caused by the addicts needing money for their habits.
NYC's Compstat system solved this by looking at the crime stats and assigning personnel to deal with it in the different areas and it worked.
Orlando has increased crime because it has two airports with very little drug enforcement and an increase in the Latin Kings and Mexican gangs fighting over turf. Since the drugs are usually sold in African American areas that is why they are the biggest victims.
In August over 50 Latin Kings were arrested in Tampa. They are a Puerto Rican gang from the Bronx in NYC. They know they can now hide amongst the other lawabiding members of that community.

The drugs are often transported at night or by females during the day. Sometimes they use children in the car to avoid any prying law enforcment eyes. Small amounts of drugs are then usually transported after a customer calls them on a cell phone or pay phone. They use small fast cars or motorcycles in case they have to run. It's also a macho thing. The cars will have weapons in "trap" compartments. The cars will not be falling apart like the white meth dealers in the suburbs.

Pickup places are all night places like laundry mats, fast food restaurant parking lots, motel parking lots. or sometimes gas stations. All night traffic from an apt or house is a dead give away.

The only way to lower the crime is too hire more cops and put them in the areas that are affected. You can't play it cheap and rely on overworked Sheriff's offices. The Orlando Police is going to have to bring in the DEA and triple their narcotics units. Until then, crime will continue to spread.
latin kings and the mexican gangs are not fighting and it has nothing to do with drugs here .....
Its a culture thing and the mexican gangs are the spear head of it .....please dont come to florida because we got enough folks here who dont want to open their eyes to the truth and fight this.

btw of the now 34 deaths in orlando only a very small # were related to drugs...7 i think in total.but on the other hand over half ,,,,19 if im not wrong were commited by hispanics and of those at leats 7 were here illegaly.and one of those killed a cop outsidde lakeland and one killed an entire family including 2 children on the turnpike and that one was a mexican gang member.But people say illegals are not a problem yet #s dont lie we could have saved lives this year so far if the illegals wouldnt have been here and one of them a cop that as you pointed out we need more of.
Wake up Americans snub the pc police they are killing us!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM

155 posts, read 282,880 times
Quote:
When crime goes up it is usually related to an increase in drug sales. The violent crime is caused by dealers wanting to eliminate the competition and the informants.

I agree with the statement that drugs = violent crime. No question about that! We often see suspects on the back of patrol cars on the news... they sometimes don't even remember killing someone or robbing a 7-11 and seem totally dopped up, drooling, etc. Or they cry and apologize for what they did, as they had just "smoked crack and needed money to buy more". I see that story all the time on the local news.

I disagree with saying that violent crime is related to drug dealer wars. That is totally bogus!! Regular people get killed all the time here in Orlando over money to buy drugs or for talking to police about "the crackhouse next door". How many people just get killed in drive-bys just because they live near a crackhouse, but are otherwise hard-working people? Or people that get sick because the lady downstairs is cooking meth in her apt bolow yours? Please, the drug problem spills over everyone and everywhere! No one, even in Windermere or Celebration are immunte to violent crime.

The gangs are also a huge problem. The local sheriff (Kevin Beary) talks a good game, but does very little to control the gang problem. Orlando Police (OPD) is a joke at best, they arrest normal people for jaywalking, traffic citation violators, or child support deadbeats and turn a blind eye to drug dealers near schools just north of Hughey Ave (their HQ). OPD is such a joke, they only like to "make a show of force" against normal people who pose no threat while letting dealers and dangerous gangs just run the show. Why doesn't OPD got after the gangs and the dealers?? They are scared, probably... or they just care about giving out traffic tickets and make money for the county.

You talk about Mexican gangs.... I usually think more of MS-13, which is far more violent. Why are these people here, then? If they are Mexican or Salvatoran and are illegal, why don't they get deported? Why are they still allowed to be here? Ahhh... yes, the open border with Mexico... the gateway to America and proposed amnesties and unfethered drug trade.

"More cops on the street". Forget about it, they do this every year and crime gets higher. The cops waste all their time bullying low-level offenders (child support, jaywalkers, people that don't pay traffic tickets, bums sleeping on benches, etc) and spend most of their time either at the donut shop or ticketing people. What we need is more drug sting operations and gang enforcement, less cops looking for people to ticket and make the almighty Dollar for the county.

But for now, Orlando's crime problem will just continue to grow.... like it or not. We seem to be the end destination for many scumbags from northern states who like warmer weather. Sad but true.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 20,568 times
Cool violence in florida

Hello all
I came across your forum and would like to add my opinion.
I have just recently returned to Florida from Colorado to get away from the cold. I had lived here for a while back in 1984 and remembered how beautiful and warm it is here and decided to come back for health reasons.
Oh my God- what a mistake. My first week here my car was broken into right in my own driveway. Two weeks later, my fiance' was jumped, beaten up and robbed by THREE cowardly punks- and we live in a neighborhood that we were told was safe!
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO FLORIDA?
If the law enforcement is working to its capacity then there should be some other plan implemented. Simply complaining, locking your doors, or looking the other way is no solution.

Florida is a beautiful place to live- I think the good people should take it back!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,570 times
Violent crime is created by desperation and poverty. Drug use is escalated by desperation and poverty.

You improve the economy and crime becomes more manageable for law enforcement. You leave the economy in gutter and it doesn't matter how many drug dealers you take out, more will take their places.

Drugs are the boogy-man that politicians use to avoid having to address the real issues such as terrible schools and a failing economy. Crack dealers are a problem, but they are not the cause of violent crime in general. That is just what politicians want you to think.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM

13 posts, read 56,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
Again??

Honestly, I am becoming desensitized by the violent crime. I guess that is a defense mechanism to shielding yourself from all this bad stuff.

I want to make a note to this thread: Have you guys seen the people being arrested on these crimes? Have you read the descriptions of the perpetrators??

Is it just me, or there seems to be certain profiles of the criminals?

Is it just my imagination, or do crimes just seem to be connected with certain groups? I have noticed most (if not all) the gang-related issues seem to be with latinos/hispanics, armed robberies are mostly black, crack charges seems to be white trash??

I am not trying to be a racist, but I have been noticing it... not to say there are not white robbers or whatever. But most of these crimes seem to follow certain groups.

there are more black gangs then lations and hispanics so what you talking about

Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 67,723 times
My husband and I have been wanting to move to the orlando area, but looking at the "burbs, but still, every post I read is bad about Florida, however, we live in Oklahoma city, OK, and in our zipcode, the crime looks horrific by stats, but even being a couple miles away from the core of the crimes, I feel safe, and I grew up in some very very small towns, point is, I think big cities, more crime, yes, poverty is more likely because in my experience from very small towns, poor people are helped by the richer and not ignored like a plague. As for the drugs and other acts, well, it goes along with living with hudreds of thousands of people. For awhile, all these posts were getting me down because I am a young women and I am not a karate master, lol, but...maybe to those of you that already live in Florida it sucks, just like if you ask me, it's not marvelous in OK, but there are those neigborhoods that are perfect in a sense, here it is Edmond, its like a black and white, as in lowest crime, etc, in the US, and those towns are all over the US. I hope I can find ours near Florida, because yes, the post cards look marvelous, but someone out there has to have grown up there and still feels like its a good place.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,640 times
Quote:
The Latin Kings are not just Puerto Rican or from the Bronx. The Latin Kings originated in Chicago; at that time, they were primarily Puerto Rican. At that time, they also stood for something other than the corruption, violence, gun and drug trafficking that they are known for today. They were formed as a social group to fight for equal rights and against oppression that was consuming the Puerto Rican people in Chicago. As time went by, they strayed from their noble roots and began looking to drug and gun trafficking, violence, and the gang activities they are known for today. The members are not just Puerto Rican anymore- but any Latin or even non Latins who may even be white and black. They are also found in many cities across the US, even the world today.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

561 posts, read 1,915,592 times
Believe it or not, they also have a strong presence in the major cities of Connecticut. Especially Hartford. The worst years there were from the late 80's to mid 90's.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM

27 posts, read 102,847 times
Well, even though there is a lot of opinions and not enough fact, the truth is this. The increase in the population has outgrown our law enforcement agencies. I mean, you can blame the illegals if you want, remove them all and I can guarantee that there will still be crime in Orlando.

With the murders, a majority are homicide, and if you look at where it happens then you can avoid it, for example, don't go to parramore, pine hills, and some portions of North and South OBT. Just look at the murder map on the Orlando Sentinel.

Now they say Kissimmee is a troubled area, when was the last time they had a murder. I mean, I know lots of people that live in the Kissimmee, BVL, and Poinciana area, and out of all those people, I only know one couple that had a break in and all they took was some electronics.

So, I think they need to hire more police, I think about 800 more police officers. It will cost about $36 million a year on just the payroll, but Central Florida wastes a lot of money, so i think they can manage to find those funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando