U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,853,000 times

Advertisements

Is this affecting the tourism? or the introduction of new companies to the area?

Murders surged in cities across Florida in the first half of the year, but nowhere as much as in Orlando, according to a report released Monday by the FBI.

The city's murder rate more than tripled from January through June, compared with the first six months of 2005.

Other violent crimes spiked as well. Orlando posted the third-biggest jump in rapes and robberies among the state's 10 largest cities and had the largest increase in arsons, according to the report.

The city tied Miami, which has nearly twice the population, with the second-largest number of murders -- 30 -- in Florida. Only Jacksonville, which is nearly four times bigger, had more: 70.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-fbicrime1906dec19,0,5331085.story?track=mostemaile dlink (broken link)
Rate this post positively

Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 PM

56 posts, read 236,897 times
notice who is commiting these crimes?

Old 01-26-2007, 10:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,116,894 times
Sunrico, good story~or~ should I say the story was bad but it's nice to know things like that.

Christa, thank you for mentioning it cause I went back and read the story cause I missed that part. There must be the start of some pretty bad gang problems in the larger cities down there.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,340,982 times
I am glad one of my friends changed his mind about Orlando. I wouldnt even feel safe visiting Orlando, nevermind living there!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,773,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am glad one of my friends changed his mind about Orlando. I wouldnt even feel safe visiting Orlando, nevermind living there!
I am not trying to put a pretty light on this...if you are one of those 30 victims or are related to them it's terrible. But get real...30 out of 2 million+ people in the greater Orlando area! Almost all these crimes took place among people involved in shady activities in bad areas of the city.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,340,982 times
Still doesnt make me feel safe. I know the crime in south FL is bad and lots of random violence. Crime comes after you, they want your new car or that huge plasma TV in your house

Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 AM

155 posts, read 240,331 times
Question Tell me if I am right or just imagining things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Is this affecting the tourism? or the introduction of new companies to the area?

Murders surged in cities across Florida in the first half of the year, but nowhere as much as in Orlando, according to a report released Monday by the FBI.

The city's murder rate more than tripled from January through June, compared with the first six months of 2005.

Other violent crimes spiked as well. Orlando posted the third-biggest jump in rapes and robberies among the state's 10 largest cities and had the largest increase in arsons, according to the report.

The city tied Miami, which has nearly twice the population, with the second-largest number of murders -- 30 -- in Florida. Only Jacksonville, which is nearly four times bigger, had more: 70.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-fbicrime1906dec19,0,5331085.story?track=mostemaile dlink (broken link)

Again??

Honestly, I am becoming desensitized by the violent crime. I guess that is a defense mechanism to shielding yourself from all this bad stuff.

I want to make a note to this thread: Have you guys seen the people being arrested on these crimes? Have you read the descriptions of the perpetrators??

Is it just me, or there seems to be certain profiles of the criminals?

Is it just my imagination, or do crimes just seem to be connected with certain groups? I have noticed most (if not all) the gang-related issues seem to be with latinos/hispanics, armed robberies are mostly black, crack charges seems to be white trash??

I am not trying to be a racist, but I have been noticing it... not to say there are not white robbers or whatever. But most of these crimes seem to follow certain groups.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 AM

442 posts, read 2,774,487 times
There is large hispanic population here in the Central Florida area,but i don;'t think we can single them out for one thing or another.. I think it takes alot of different "ethnic" or Cultural" groups to commit these crimes...In Orlando The City Beautiful? there is alot of Black on Black Violence....In the kissmmee area its Spanish , against there own...and I drive happens to have alot of crime against the tourists being commited by the whites...so its all in what you see....
there are alot of gangs in Central Florida no more then other big city...
I hear now that The Guardian Angels are coming to Poinciana , to help combat the huge Gang Problem there? The Media is making a Mountain out of a little bit bigger of a mole hill, I think if the police are allowed to POLICE then our crime would not be so rough...It really hurts the police dept when they shoot someone because they are commiting a crime, alluding police, and even in some instanceses, Shooting at the police, and the family turns around and SUES them .. EXCUSE me but your so called Loved one was commiting a crime and your sueing us ..?...lol its time The police start taking things back...along with the People in the Neigboorhoods!..and Im sorry but I think Sheriff Berry has to GO!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,853,000 times
The FBI developed a chart comparing first half 2005/2006 Murder, Rape, and Robbery within selected cities to include Orlando:

ORLANDO population:210,290

murder 2005: 7 murder 2006: 30 percent changed: 329%
rape 2005: 68 rape 2006: 82 percent changed: 21%
Roberry2005: 525 Roberry 2006: 673 percent changed: 28%

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM

67 posts, read 273,946 times
Yeah you can single them out aj,what sunrico left out is that the perps of 21 of those crimes were hispanic and 7 of those were here illegaly.If you count the entire family of illegals killed by illegals on the turnpike just south of orlando.Oh and dont forget the guy that was just killed overthere by you in poincianna by one of those mexican gang members that was in the country illegaly.But sunrico says we need to put a blanket on our heads cause they are here to stay.Dont think ill be doing that ,how bout you aj67?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando