Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:41 PM

32 posts, read 273,779 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about any towns around Orlando that are similar to Winter Park.....slightly upscale downtown/main street type areas? Someone mentioned Mt. Dora may be similar....is that true? Anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 02:49 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
I don't think there is any other place exactly like Winter Park. Mt. Dora is quaint and antique but doesn't have the upscale 'attitude' of Winter Park. Winter Park's main street downtown has upscale shops, antique shops, cute little eateries, Rollins College, a great ice cream shop, the lovely park with the train station, and the new Winter Park Village. It is a wonderful place to go to dinner in the evenings and stroll the streets. I lived in Winter Park until recently and while most places there are expensive, there are some older subdivisions that are still reasonable. What exactly are you looking for in Winter Park?

Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 PM

Thanks for responding....I visited Orlando this weekend to scope out different neighborhoods to move to. My favorite place that I went was Winter Park. I liked it for exactly the reasons you described....the shops, restaurants, the beautiful park, etc. It is just wonderful, but I wanted one more similar option in case I don't find the right apartment in Winter Park, or if I find its not convenient to where I end up working.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 PM

I guess you don't know where you will be working, yet, right? I really can't think of any other place in Orlando that has a downtown area and charm like Winter Park. Perhaps when you have an idea of where your job will be it will be easier to make suggestions of other areas.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 PM

42 posts, read 76,658 times
You might want to check out the Thornton Park area. It is right next to Lake Eola. It isn't quite as upscale as Winter Park but the shopping area is integrated in the neighborhood, you can just walk from your house to the shopping area. There are several restuarants where you can sit out side and even bring your dog. Then you can take a walk around Lake Eola, and it is so close to downtown. It isn't as big as Winter Park but I would check it out I think you might really like it.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:54 AM

Great, thanks! I'll check it out....3 weeks til my move....Yay!

Old 12-21-2006, 07:06 AM

208 posts, read 974,648 times
Well I guess I could be delusional but I really felt like the downtown Mount Dora area matched a lot of what you mentioned you liked about Winter Park. I was surprised at how many quaint little shops they had (and they weren't all antique by any means!). I laughed when I saw they had a bakery specifically for dogs. They had so many fascinating restaurants that caught my attention that I have a list of places I have to try out. It's probably not quite as "snooty" as Winter Park, but I personally felt like it had a lot of charm and the lake in the background was simply amazing. I even video taped some of the stuff, so if you want, I can send you a clip so you can see for yourself without having to go down there...

Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 AM

42 posts, read 76,658 times
I think Mount Dora is cute and quaint as well. I guess it is just quite a commute to Orlando, and if the poster is working in Orlando they might not want to drive that far. Also, Mt. Dora seems to be a lot more retirement oriented than say Thornton Park is. But you are right, Lake Dora is beautiful. I guess it just depends on what one wants. If you are looking for more of a retirement center than look towards Mt. Dora, if you want a hipper area then check out Thornton Park.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 AM

I will check them both out, along with any other suggestions anyone comes up with. I'm going to take a temporary rental for 2-3 months while I choose a more permanent neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 AM

Bambi, I too, thought of Thornton Park when initially answering your email. One of the routes I drive to work when the traffic is heavy on the main highways takes me through Thornton Park. It is a quaint area with older homes, some apartments, condos (still older - nothing modern). Many of them have been restored/updated and it is quite pricey...I would think as much as Winter Park. This week I saw a sign for a Handyman Special for $735,000. Of course, it was a single family home.

Although it doesn't have a downtown area like Winter Park - there are little coffee shops, etc. right in the middle of some of the blocks. It is right downtown, so you would have access to Eola Park and all the night life downtown has to offer if you're into that.

The reason I didn't mention it at first is that it doesn't have the 'ritzy' air of Winter Park. But it does seem to attract alot of young people and has gotten the reputation in Orlando for being an area where alot of the gay/lesbian population like to live. I don't mean that in any way offensive - so please don't take any.

I have a coworker who lives in Thornton Park and loves it. She loves being so close to everything that happens downtown - Bob Carr (the performing arts center), the arena where the Magic play and many concerts happen, the clubs, etc.

If you're looking for a downtown type area close to Orlando - Winter Park and Thornton Park are probably your two best bets. There is another neighborhood facing Lake Ivanhoe on N. Orange Ave and Virginia Drive that has a nice park right on the lake. You often see skiers and jet skiers on the lake, they have a nice bandshell and some cool eateries that face the lake. Again you are close to downtown, just a little north and the homes will be older and pricy.

I'm sure when you get here and explore the area you will find exactly what will fit for you. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando