Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times

Advertisements

Don't kid yourselves. It is terrible. It isn't DC or LA but it is still very bad traffic for a metro area with as few people as Orlando has. Orlando ranks 6 nationally, and beats out Miami.

Only Orlando, in Florida, does it take you 45 minutes to drive to a place that's no more than ten miles away. And this wasn't even technically "rush hour", but I'll tell you what, the 436 looked worse than rush hour traffic in many midwestern cities- and it wasn't even rush hour.

Blame it on moron developers and legislatures, the NIMBY attitudes of places like Winter Springs and Oviedo that voted against "grid" streets. Blame it on the general stupidity of a people that can be sold enough rope to hang themselves.

To top it all off, the drivers down here are some of the most stupid and inconsiderate drivers in the country. If you move down here, get used to somebody not using a turn signal or hovering around in your blind spot and deciding to pass you at the last minute- on the right. Get used to people who drift stopsigns or figure that whoever has the most massive vehicle, has the right of way. Get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
You forgot to mention that if you honk at someone they might shoot at you!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM

69 posts, read 83,936 times
Also I've never seen a more poorly planned highway and road infrastructure. Part of the reason Orlando is so ugly is that there are no set back laws. SR 50 downtown, it takes you 20 minutes to go East 3 miles because the road is only two lanes, it was just so very important to have the dollar tree right out on the curve. You forgot to mention the most tolls by far of any city in the state. I guess its a privilege you need to pay for to drive on America's most poorly designed roads. Also why when you exit one road do you go on these winding curving exists that take you right back where you started after driving one mile. I've never been to another city where the roads are more pathetic. Has anyone ever gone East on I-4 and not stopped because of the needles curves and hills around OBT, it is never ever a smooth ride.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
Maybe if they stopped putting in useless lights everywhere.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM

How about those lanes that all of a sudden turn into a turning lane with not much warning just great. They always cause gridlock because the considerate Orlando drivers will not let anyone over who get stuck in one of those dumb lanes.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:15 PM

My favorite Orlando driving passtime is the drivers who speed up when you put on your turn signal, No wonder people don`t use signals here.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM

69 posts, read 83,936 times
They definately need to ban cell phone use as well, this is clearly an area where the majority of the population is incapable of doing two things at once. How many times do you have to pass and idiot on the right and look over and see the phone stuck to the ear.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Yes, traffic sucks just like everything else in that stupid town.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence Dogood View Post
forgot to mention the most tolls by far of any city in the state. I guess its a privilege you need to pay for to drive on America's most poorly designed roads. Also why when you exit one road do you go on these winding curving exists that take you right back where you started after driving one mile. I've never been to another city where the roads are more pathetic. Has anyone ever gone East on I-4 and not stopped because of the needles curves and hills around OBT, it is never ever a smooth ride.
It's furnny but you got all the causes wrong. More toll roads typicly leads to better traffic because people will better use things they pay for, and abuse things they do not pay for. The toll roads in Orlando are one of the few roads that are not jam packed.

Also, widening roads almost never improves traffic for long because traffic has a tendency to fill to capacity on any road. The problem with Orlandos roads is that there are not enough small roads based on a "grid" layout, and too many people put up speed bumps and other NIMBY style defenses against "traffic". This reduces connectivity and means that more cars have to use the same road to get to where they are going.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Don't kid yourselves. It is terrible. It isn't DC or LA but it is still very bad traffic for a metro area with as few people as Orlando has. Orlando ranks 6 nationally, and beats out Miami.

Only Orlando, in Florida, does it take you 45 minutes to drive to a place that's no more than ten miles away. And this wasn't even technically "rush hour", but I'll tell you what, the 436 looked worse than rush hour traffic in many midwestern cities- and it wasn't even rush hour.

Blame it on moron developers and legislatures, the NIMBY attitudes of places like Winter Springs and Oviedo that voted against "grid" streets. Blame it on the general stupidity of a people that can be sold enough rope to hang themselves.

To top it all off, the drivers down here are some of the most stupid and inconsiderate drivers in the country. If you move down here, get used to somebody not using a turn signal or hovering around in your blind spot and deciding to pass you at the last minute- on the right. Get used to people who drift stopsigns or figure that whoever has the most massive vehicle, has the right of way. Get used to it.
So true! One of the things visitors to the area will quickly realize are the terrible drivers. on my half-hour commute I travel through about 12 stoplights down Semoran Blvd./436 and on average 4-6 cars run red lights at every intersection. What the heck is wrong with the people around here??? Turn signals are rare while cutting off and accelerating at a snails pace is a way of life around these parts. Its not the traffic but the moron drivers. Commuting anywhere here is the worst aspect of Orlando. Maybe some of the positives like the hot + sunny year round weather and east coast beaches close by offset the transportation issues but I'm not entirely sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando