Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 36,715 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any suggestions as to good, low crime, areas? I've heard Davenport is a small town but I'm unsure of the certain areas that would be better then others. I've heard to stay clear of the Haines City area (so south Davenport) but I haven't heard much about other areas. I've noticed its mostly homes/condos and about a total of two apartment buildings. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foladar View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions as to good, low crime, areas? I've heard Davenport is a small town but I'm unsure of the certain areas that would be better then others. I've heard to stay clear of the Haines City area (so south Davenport) but I haven't heard much about other areas. I've noticed its mostly homes/condos and about a total of two apartment buildings. Thanks in advance.
I have heard the same about haines city. I personally would look a little north into Clermont. Or maybe a little further west like Lake Alfred. Davenport to me is just 1 big road with no downtown and community after community with a lot of them being rentals and winter homes for people. Last time I did research into the schools over a year ago, they were garbage.

A little further than those towns are Winter Haven and Auburndale which are worth taking a look at if you don't mind being further out.

If you already bought in Davenport though, it's still safer than Haines City, IMO.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM

We haven't bought anything, but we plan to rent .. the job is suppose to be at I4/27 intersection, so thats why we were looking just north of that (which is Davenport) .. Clermont seemed alittle too far north with gas prices lately, and I haven't seen anything about Lake Alfred. We don't have any kids so the schools aren't a big issue for us either and we don't mind revolving neighbours as long as the crime is low .. and I definitely figured out that Haines City was a no-no, but it seemed due to the low population that Davenport seemed relatively safe with low crime, but was coming here for more information before further looking into it. We plan to stop by April 28th or so to check out a few neighbourhoods, then moving May 10th.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Anybody know of hotels that would also be decent in the area since we plan to check out the area around april 29th

Old 04-19-2008, 04:28 AM

12 posts, read 79,916 times
Foladar,

There is a decent Hampton Inn on US-27, near I-4, behind the Burger King Restaurant. I live in the Auburndale (sleepy, family oriented town) area for about 3 years, coming from Winter Park, FL. Davenport is a wonderful, quiet town in eastern Polk County. I am familiar with just about the entire Central Florida areas as I cover the middle of the state for my job. The I-4/US 27 area is in a growth/expansion mode that is beneficial for the further development of Davenport and the surrounding cities.

I know that there is newly developed shopping/commerce center located at US-7/I-4 corridor. In my opinion the area is a quite, safe community with an abundant of homes, & I can't forget those vacation homes. You should have no problem finding a great place to rent. Haines City too is a nice, safe community. In Haines City, there is a gate community, Southern Dunes golf community located off US-27 about 12 minutes drive from I-4. The cities that line up along the US-27 highway, Haines City, Davenport & Lake Wales are great little quaint towns.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgirl View Post
Foladar,

There is a decent Hampton Inn on US-27, near I-4, behind the Burger King Restaurant. I live in the Auburndale (sleepy, family oriented town) area for about 3 years, coming from Winter Park, FL. Davenport is a wonderful, quiet town in eastern Polk County. I am familiar with just about the entire Central Florida areas as I cover the middle of the state for my job. The I-4/US 27 area is in a growth/expansion mode that is beneficial for the further development of Davenport and the surrounding cities.

I know that there is newly developed shopping/commerce center located at US-7/I-4 corridor. In my opinion the area is a quite, safe community with an abundant of homes, & I can't forget those vacation homes. You should have no problem finding a great place to rent. Haines City too is a nice, safe community. In Haines City, there is a gate community, Southern Dunes golf community located off US-27 about 12 minutes drive from I-4. The cities that line up along the US-27 highway, Haines City, Davenport & Lake Wales are great little quaint towns.

kd, how do you like Auburndale? We have been here for about 1 year so far. Aside from my 40 minute commute to Orlando, we love it here.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Well, as a single woman, the social/activity scene is lacking here. I do miss living in a progressive, busy/congest metropolitan city. I just need get my home sold. I've tried to place on the market last year, but I don't think my realtor put much effort into marketing my home. If I could sell my home, I will love to be in Atlanta, MD/DC or Charlotte, NC areas. Other than that, Auburndale is a quieter town for families.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Yeah, the I4/27 area is definitely growing from what I've seen, the whole Posner Commons looks pretty nice from the photos. I just hope they build a movie theater or something so I don't have to go out to Citywalk for a movie. So you'd say just north of I4/27 would be safe, as would just south of it? There were a few homes that were within 7 minutes north, and one that was 3 minutes south.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Foladar,

I believe that you will have no problem finding a beautiful home that is located in a safe, family friendly neighbor. I remember when I was home shopping 3 years ago, initially I was going to buy in the Davenport area, but I was too impatience on waiting for newer home to be built. Yes, I too venture out to Downtown Disney to watch a movie. I go mainly for the diverse entertainment & variety of activities & shopping out there. I though for sure that a movie theater at would be located at the Posner City shopping complex.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgirl View Post
Well, as a single woman, the social/activity scene is lacking here. I do miss living in a progressive, busy/congest metropolitan city. I just need get my home sold. I've tried to place on the market last year, but I don't think my realtor put much effort into marketing my home. If I could sell my home, I will love to be in Atlanta, MD/DC or Charlotte, NC areas. Other than that, Auburndale is a quieter town for families.
I can definatley see where you are coming from in that sense. This would be the last place in Florida I would even think to come if I was single. But as you said this is definatley a family town. Thats why we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando