Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 08:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,747,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's like one of my elitist acquaintances (I find him annoying, so I won't say friend lol) who came to visit Orlando for a couple days on the way to NYC... "I don't want to waste money dining out here because it's all chain crap, I'm going to NYC where they have the best restaurants in the world where its authentic owner operated food." Orlando does have locally sourced restaurants, there just isn't much in the tourist zones.
I would send that person this article. It's written exactly for people who say that.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...at-restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 12:12 PM

I saw this and thought I'd share since it is relevant what was discussed in this thread.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...usinesses.html

"Mom and pop" shops seem more interested in International Drive now. They are hedging their bets on a successful reopening of area attractions and convention centers, so they can feed off of the traffic.

Interesting, the article also says that realtors are jumping for mom and pops as they don't expect rents to drop. Does that imply that they are only interested in big players, aka chains?

Old 07-14-2020, 10:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,577 times
Because Orlando has Krispy Kreme and Tim Hortons can't compete with that!

Old 07-15-2020, 10:54 AM

648 posts, read 517,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I would send that person this article. It's written exactly for people who say that.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...at-restaurants
I’m glad you posted this, boy3365. I’d spent close to two years looking for a house in this area and found one, but during my travels I also looked for locally owned eateries (as I always do when I travel). There are good places to eat in Central FL, of that I’m happy. I think what may be happening, though, for folks coming from areas like Metro NY (this includes the Boroughs, North Jersey, parts of the Island), greater Boston, greater Philly, greater Chicago or San Diego, so on and so forth, is that these fine places are, comparatively, few and far between. They’re there - and I for one am glad they are, but it just seems like for the (until recently) huge amount of people from around the world who visit this area, that it would be spilling over with even more good and great privately owned restaurants. That’s the bit that makes me scratch my head.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
I’m glad you posted this, boy3365. I’d spent close to two years looking for a house in this area and found one, but during my travels I also looked for locally owned eateries (as I always do when I travel). There are good places to eat in Central FL, of that I’m happy. I think what may be happening, though, for folks coming from areas like Metro NY (this includes the Boroughs, North Jersey, parts of the Island), greater Boston, greater Philly, greater Chicago or San Diego, so on and so forth, is that these fine places are, comparatively, few and far between. They’re there - and I for one am glad they are, but it just seems like for the (until recently) huge amount of people from around the world who visit this area, that it would be spilling over with even more good and great privately owned restaurants. That’s the bit that makes me scratch my head.
The debate that this thread eventually turned into was whether there should be more local, artisan type establishments in the tourist areas. They do exist in Orlando proper, Winter Park to the north, and the more residential areas in general. But then they are few and far between off of International Drive, State Road 535, and US 192 where the tourists normally convene. One reason presented for why mom and pop shop are few in the tourist district was because the bigger chains could always outbid them for the spaces. The article seems to support that idea.

The article I linked a few posts ups claims that people will go where they need to go for the best eats in much larger cities like NYC, LA, etc., but then when they come to Orlando, they don't want to travel more than 10 minutes away from their resort. Then they complain about the lack of quality food options.

Also, another Orlando Weekly article linked below, and anecdotal comments from several Orlando residents over the years, says that locals don't really patronize the tourist areas so much. So, why would someone with a dream of their new restaurant being an "Orlando staple" build it in an area where the locals rarely visit?

"Coronavirus is already impacting Disney and cruise lines, but Orlando's bigger concern could be I-Drive"

February 2020

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...national-drive

Quote:
"The smaller businesses on International Drive will be okay if they pivot towards locals for a while. I don’t think discounting is off the table,” explained Zanetti. “The little businesses might be forced to discount to attract more visitors, or cater more towards locals rather than tourists.”

This will mean plenty of "staycation’ marketing," big deals on cruises, and other sales across the industry – but for locals, the best way to help might be to finally check out that business on I-Drive you’ve been waiting to but just haven’t yet. There’s plenty of dining, escape rooms, and date nights waiting to happen in an area most locals love to ignore."
Even Foxtail Coffee, a local coffee chain that seems to be popping up everywhere out of nowhere, only has one location in the tourist area, and that is inside of the Tommy Hilfiger store at Orlando Premium Outlets at Vineland Ave.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:01 PM

648 posts, read 517,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
The debate that this thread eventually turned into was whether there should be more local, artisan type establishments in the tourist areas.

...snip...

Even Foxtail Coffee, a local coffee chain that seems to be popping up everywhere out of nowhere, only has one location in the tourist area, and that is inside of the Tommy Hilfiger store at Orlando Premium Outlets at Vineland Ave.
My feeling is that more local, high quality places should be available outside of the tourist areas. I find it a little discouraging how many franchises there are along roads like 436 and 17-92 compared to good local spots. One of the best breakfast places in the area I’d experienced in Casselberry unfortunately didn’t make it, and went out of business. A real shame.

As to Foxtail, I’ve not found them to be all that good, really. Just my opinion. But I also think Starbucks - outside of Washington State and Oregon - is among the worst purveyors of coffee ever foisted on the American public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando