Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 01:24 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Yes. I read in a Miami Herald article lamenting the "Miami Discount" when it comes to wages that had it not been for immigrants, metro Miami would have a population decline.

So much for that "people are flocking here for lower taxes" argument. (Don't squeeze your wallets people. I'm not advocating for more taxes.)
Which in the end will be the only recourse for a state too poor to maintain infrastructure and public services otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 11:53 PM

27 posts, read 42,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
$250k for new construction is unbelievably cheap, especially when that is an area that isn't a crime ridden dump. That's why I say, it all depends on one's life experiences. I'm looking into possibly relocating to Irvine, CA, but with most of their new construction you basically are paying property taxes x2 because you have to pay property taxes and then mello-roos taxes and then I'd be paying another $15k in state income tax. A cookie cutter 1,750 sqft town-house starts around $750k+. It makes me question is it really worth it to have more Asian food and culture lol. VS staying in Orlando and waiting until the next housing crash to use that $750k-1M to buy my absolute dream home or even build a home. I think Orlando is a great city, the only part it's missing for me is authentic Asian stuff. Mountains would be nice too, but we have springs and the ocean nearby, so it's not a big deal.
Back to SoCal? Going from one Orange County to the OG O.C. Have you looked into Corona, or perhaps somewhere else in the Inland Empire? IMO, I would hold back and stay in Orlando. California is beyond expensive and you get more value in Central FL. Orlando is on the rise and on its way to become just like Los Angeles/OC one day. Best of luck on either decision.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:09 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroker77 View Post
Back to SoCal? Going from one Orange County to the OG O.C. Have you looked into Corona, or perhaps somewhere else in the Inland Empire? IMO, I would hold back and stay in Orlando. California is beyond expensive and you get more value in Central FL. Orlando is on the rise and on its way to become just like Los Angeles/OC one day. Best of luck on either decision.
Minus LA County bringing in 20 billion in revenue in the Motion Picture Industry, employing 250,000 with an avg. full time salary of $117K.

... but perhaps should we take that accord?

Old 12-26-2019, 02:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroker77 View Post

I moved from San Francisco, but have been to SoCal many times. I haven't spent much time in the Inland Empire. Only when I'm doing road trips to Las Vegas, I'd drive through and get something to eat sometimes. It's too far inland for me. One of the things I really like about Irvine is it feels like Dr. Phillips on steroids, it's basically next to the coast (Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc), it's around 40% Asian, it's very clean, landscaped, master planned like Dr. Phillips but on a city-scale. I haven't been to Corona though, I'll check it out. I'm going out there in mid-Jan.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Minus LA County bringing in 20 billion in revenue in the Motion Picture Industry, employing 250,000 with an avg. full time salary of $117K.

... but perhaps should we take that accord?
There is no debate in col vs average income... it’s a lot more harder to make ends meet in LA. That’s why so many working class people are leaving and being replaced by people who can afford to live there. The argument is it worth having room mates or moving from a large house to a small condo in return of getting to live there.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:34 PM

386 posts, read 169,434 times
Quote:
$250k for new construction is unbelievably cheap, especially when that is an area that isn't a crime ridden dump. That's why I say, it all depends on one's life experiences. I'm looking into possibly relocating to Irvine, CA, but with most of their new construction you basically are paying property taxes x2 because you have to pay property taxes and then mello-roos taxes and then I'd be paying another $15k in state income tax. A cookie cutter 1,750 sqft town-house starts around $750k+. It makes me question is it really worth it to have more Asian food and culture lol. VS staying in Orlando and waiting until the next housing crash to use that $750k-1M to buy my absolute dream home or even build a home. I think Orlando is a great city, the only part it's missing for me is authentic Asian stuff. Mountains would be nice too, but we have springs and the ocean nearby, so it's not a big deal.
OMG, You can't compare this to California of all places! California housing is purely insane. I wish you would stay here. My brother-in-law is 3/4 Japanese and 1/4 Korean. He was born and raised in Southern California and all his relatives live in Orange county, but he much prefers the East coast! They live in North Carolina. He gave me a list of reasons over 30 years ago and I do not remember them. We lived in California twice and I don't miss it at all. We were in the earthquake in the San Fernando Valley in 1971 and before that there were fires there where we almost had to evacuate. Besides all that, the thing we didn't like is the anonymous society. You only get to know the people you work with. I missed people, period, it was lonely and I have a relative of a relative who, by the way, lives in Orange County and she said the same thing, she was lonely.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
OMG, You can't compare this to California of all places! California housing is purely insane. I wish you would stay here. My brother-in-law is 3/4 Japanese and 1/4 Korean. He was born and raised in Southern California and all his relatives live in Orange county, but he much prefers the East coast! They live in North Carolina. He gave me a list of reasons over 30 years ago and I do not remember them. We lived in California twice and I don't miss it at all. We were in the earthquake in the San Fernando Valley in 1971 and before that there were fires there where we almost had to evacuate. Besides all that, the thing we didn't like is the anonymous society. You only get to know the people you work with. I missed people, period, it was lonely and I have a relative of a relative who, by the way, lives in Orange County and she said the same thing, she was lonely.

I've moved almost every 2 years since I was 12 years old, so I don't have a problem making friends no matter where I've gone, so I'm not worried about that. For me, it's just a question I'm asking myself in my head, "Is the cost of living and smaller home worth it to live there." I like the East Coast a lot, but DC and further North, I just can't handle the winter. I went through North Carolina recently and found it pretty nice, but found Charlotte not big enough and once again, a very small Asian population. I'd choose Orlando between the two because of the weather, nearby beaches and theme parks. The main issue I have here is the small Asian population, which results in very limited authentic food/drink/dessert options. I work from home (stock trading), so it doesn't matter where I live (work-wise).

Old 12-26-2019, 06:49 PM

386 posts, read 169,434 times
Quote:
I've moved almost every 2 years since I was 12 years old, so I don't have a problem making friends no matter where I've gone, so I'm not worried about that. For me, it's just a question I'm asking myself in my head, "Is the cost of living and smaller home worth it to live there." I like the East Coast a lot, but DC and further North, I just can't handle the winter. I went through North Carolina recently and found it pretty nice, but found Charlotte not big enough and once again, a very small Asian population. I'd choose Orlando between the two because of the weather, nearby beaches and theme parks. The main issue I have here is the small Asian population, which results in very limited authentic food/drink/dessert options. I work from home (stock trading), so it doesn't matter where I live (work-wise).
I understand. We moved alot too 30 times different locations. It was harder to make friends in Cal., outside of your coworkers, because people there keep to themselves, but if you find your niche there, you would be better off. You would miss DW tho!

Old 12-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
I understand. We moved alot too 30 times different locations. It was harder to make friends in Cal., outside of your coworkers, because people there keep to themselves, but if you find your niche there, you would be better off. You would miss DW tho!

I made friends in San Francisco / Bay Area. I will say though people are a lot more career driven there, so it's difficult to distinguish true friendship vs expanding your networking base. I've heard these things though about many places I've lived and visited, even Miami, I've made friends there and I don't even live there despite people saying it's the rudest, most unfriendly city in the country. I'm just always proactively nice and talkative, I think that makes the difference whether it's a small rural conservative town in Alaska overseas in South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, or in super liberal Seattle or San Francisco... I've always had good luck when it comes to friends. I would miss DW a lot, but more so I'd miss the new Universal theme park their building. The main thing is taking such a big cut in housing. That's my dilemma, but I'll be visiting again next month to look closer at housing in my range.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:35 PM

27 posts, read 42,155 times
Quote:
I moved from San Francisco, but have been to SoCal many times. I haven't spent much time in the Inland Empire. Only when I'm doing road trips to Las Vegas, I'd drive through and get something to eat sometimes. It's too far inland for me. One of the things I really like about Irvine is it feels like Dr. Phillips on steroids, it's basically next to the coast (Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc), it's around 40% Asian, it's very clean, landscaped, master planned like Dr. Phillips but on a city-scale. I haven't been to Corona though, I'll check it out. I'm going out there in mid-Jan.
You are spot on with your homework. I was born in L.A and raised in the I.E. Although a large Asian population exist among all Southern California, there is a larger concentration in the O.C. -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando