U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 09:03 PM

222 posts, read 194,175 times

Advertisements

Issues

I have never kayaked before.
I am also not a good swimmer. Anything over five feet is a huge NO from me. So if the boat were to tip over I would be at a loss of what to do,but if its shallow water I could right myself I think.
I'm introverted so I prefer doing things on my own so that's why I would prefer not to kayak in a group. This way I won't be rushed and could trail and error at my own pace instead of the groups and the guide. However, if I get in a sticky situation it would be good to have people around etc.

So based on the above what experiences would be good for me.

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/513872?source=p2 Goes through Emerald Cut. I do really want to see this.

https://kingslandingfl.com/rates/Canoe/Kayak & Swim Pass for $40 dollar and at my own pace,and I could go through the emerald cut on my own and back to the landing I think.

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/5...source=unknown

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/5...source=unknown
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 PM

12,259 posts, read 8,942,265 times
Since you’re not a good swimmer, and have never kayaked, Don’t go alone. Whatever you do. You can get stuck by a log and have to find a way to get back on course, which may mean getting in the water. Sometimes it’s deeper than it looks. It’s also full of alligators and poisonous snakes. There are no buildings around, so you can’t just call for help. Be smart, be safe, and go in a group.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:39 PM

22,348 posts, read 21,189,558 times
Would you go to King’s Landing on a weekend? If so, there are lots of people. It also depends on your personality and how you normally do things. I’ve always been someone who dives in to whatever it is, whether first time snowboarding, first time surfing, etc. At King’s Landing you get a lifejacket and the kayaks are very stable, you’d really have to stand up and jump around to flip one. Personally, I’d just go with King’s Landing, but that’s my personality. If you want to be extra safe, do kayaking on a tour.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:20 PM

It will be the last thing I do before I fly home on New Years. So Monday Dec 30 is when I will Kayak.

If I can do emerald cut by myself and at the cheaper 30 dollar price vs the tour with 10 people and at $60 then I would like to,and especially since you stated that the Kayak's are stable and safe.

How deep is this water at Kings Landing?

Also is the emerald cut near the launch site?

Basically would I know I'm entering the cut?

Are there signs and also are there signs saying your distance and when to turn back to the launch if you want to?

What I would like to do is kayak by myself at a slow pace through emerald cut,and then make my way back to the landing site. I want to at least kayak for two hours to feel I got my money's worth, and also I don't want to tempt fate by capsizing on top of being a poor swimmer lol.

However, I don't mind doing the tour if I must,although my introverted nature really wants to do this solo. Safety in numbers is appealing though,and they also are going exactly where I want to go(the cut) and will be on the water for the time I would like to be(2 hours) as well as turning back to the launch.

Also just how different is Kingslanding kayaking from Winter Park's?

Last edited by fantasy09; 12-18-2019 at 07:48 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Would you go to King’s Landing on a weekend? If so, there are lots of people. It also depends on your personality and how you normally do things. I’ve always been someone who dives in to whatever it is, whether first time snowboarding, first time surfing, etc. At King’s Landing you get a lifejacket and the kayaks are very stable, you’d really have to stand up and jump around to flip one. Personally, I’d just go with King’s Landing, but that’s my personality. If you want to be extra safe, do kayaking on a tour.
Right... My response was more about "going alone" as an introvert... With no experience whatsoever. Have you ever gotten stuck out on that river? It can get pretty eerie if you're alone, and if you don't know what you're doing, can quickly lead to panic, especially if you start to see critters roaming around.

I wouldn't want to be inexperienced and stuck here alone https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7400...7i10752!8i3556

Old 12-18-2019, 09:04 PM

I know Winter Park is apparently a lake while Kingslanding is a spring.

So basically, based on what I've already posted, which one would be more appropriate for me to kayak in whether I'm alone or in a group?

Which one is more scenic?

And also if I capsize which one could I stand up in( I'm 5'6 and not a good swimmer) to rescue myself before someone could get to me if need be?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post

So basically, based on what I've already posted, which one would be more appropriate for me to kayak in whether I'm alone or in a group?

And also if I capsize which one could I stand up in( I'm 5'6 and not a good swimmer) to rescue myself before someone could get to me if need be?
King's Landing. By far.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM

121 posts, read 63,920 times
Lake Osceola and Lake Maitland are deep, and no one would rescue you (possibly a gator) quickly if at all. I'm a great swimmer and get a little freaked paddling alone in Winter Park. For the record, I don't go alone but I'm sometimes alone on the way to meet friends.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:12 PM

22,348 posts, read 21,189,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post

I'd still say King's Landing... if you are scared, you can kayak to the rope swing and then go right against the current... all of that area is really shallow and crystal clear, so you could literally stand up anytime. It might be tricky being a first time kayaker though. Where as going down stream, you'll go through crystal clear shallow waters to dark deeper water, it varies. Either direction though is less intimidating than going on a lake, but that's just me anyways. Kings Landing is by far more beautiful and unique than going on a lake.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:39 AM

I booked the Kingslanding tour though the Emerald Cut for Dec 30. five minutes ago. I really wanted to kayak by myself,but if I go into to deep water by accident I don't want to freak out and drown because I thought I could maneuver a kayak for the first time in a unfamiliar place all by my lonesome lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando