Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2020, 05:37 PM

8 posts, read 6,583 times

Advertisements

I have a new home and it's my first lawn. I want to have a nice lawn. Green and weed less. Well I found this lawn covered in weeds of all types. I have no idea where to start. I don't want to use chemicals. I don't mind getting dirty. I use a reel mower, it's not a big lawn. I pull out weeds one by one and it will be impossible to remove all. I'm sure calling professionals would be costly. I'm a total amateur, where to start. I don't even know what type of grass I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 05:53 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiru View Post
I have a new home and it's my first lawn. I want to have a nice lawn. Green and weed less. Well I found this lawn covered in weeds of all types. I have no idea where to start. I don't want to use chemicals. I don't mind getting dirty. I use a reel mower, it's not a big lawn. I pull out weeds one by one and it will be impossible to remove all. I'm sure calling professionals would be costly. I'm a total amateur, where to start. I don't even know what type of grass I have.
Most lawns in this area are St. Augustine grass. You would probably be better off to hire a company such as Trugreen, Deans, or Massey to spray/treat your lawn about 6 to 10 times per year. However, you can do the job yourself but you'll need a tank sprayer for liquid and a rotary spreader for granular material. You'll also need to know what to put down and when to do it.

If you're a "do it yourselfer", you can certainly learn what to do and how to do it, but it will take some effort plus some investment in equipment and chemicals. I suggest you call a couple of the lawn treatment companies and see what they charge and what they recommend. You might also ask your neighbors what company they use.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:

You'll have to use chemicals, once your yard is in perfect condition, you can try to use natural organic weed prevention products, but yeah, until then you will need chemicals. And the natural organic stuff is a lot more expensive. I have a property with 1/2 acre lot and TruGreen does my plants/bushes/hedges and yard for about $83 per month. The more natural one, still chemicals on weeds, but they spot treat weeds, rather than blanket the yard and the rest is less harmful stuff was $160 per month with Bio Green. I tried buying organic natural product myself and having a handyman just spread it for me, but that stuff was pretty expensive, more so than TruGreen and my handyman charged only like $20 to spread it.

So where to start... I would call a professional company and commit to 6 months of treatment, that should be enough time. From there you can either continue using them, or you can DIY with your own products from Amazon. Lowes and Home Depot don't sell the organic natural stuff.

As far as companies go... I've tried Masseys, Bio Green, TruGreen, and one other company that was AWFUL, but I forgot the name, if I see it I will recognize it though. TruGreen annoyed the crap out of me before because they constantly were marketing and trying to up sell me, but they had the best results out of all the companies. Masseys and the company I forgot were the worst for me. Bio Green was good considering it's less harmful, but it's just too expensive for what it is.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 PM

Thanks. I think I will have to do that for now, at least to start off. I have looked at some grass and the zoysia type looks really nice.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I think I will have to do that for now, at least to start off. I have looked at some grass and the zoysia type looks really nice.

Zoysia does not do well in Florida. Unfortunately, St. Augustine is the only grass that does well in Florida, it's very hardy. Zoysia looks great if nobody walks on it, no dogs and you are 110% on top of fertilization, weeds, maintenance, etc, but even with that it's still not guaranteed it will survive long-term. St. Augustine can still look really nice, it just doesn't feel nice to walk on.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:40 AM

I have small children and my neighbors have dogs. Reason I would prefer to go chemical free.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:11 AM

39 posts, read 41,934 times
Default Zoysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Zoysia does not do well in Florida. Unfortunately, St. Augustine is the only grass that does well in Florida, it's very hardy. Zoysia looks great if nobody walks on it, no dogs and you are 110% on top of fertilization, weeds, maintenance, etc, but even with that it's still not guaranteed it will survive long-term. St. Augustine can still look really nice, it just doesn't feel nice to walk on.
We have had Zoysia in two houses in Florida and love it. We have two dogs, walk on it all the time and it’s beautiful. We have a lawn service that cares for it and costs $59 a month.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw115 View Post
We have had Zoysia in two houses in Florida and love it. We have two dogs, walk on it all the time and it’s beautiful. We have a lawn service that cares for it and costs $59 a month.

That's reassuring, so far every single landscaper and lawn fertilizer company has told me not to get zoysia for the reasons I mentioned. I had my courtyard with new zoysia, but that was for my dogs. It ended up completely dying. So far my neighbors who have had zoysia said it has died on them too within 1-2 years. It definitely looks good though when it's healthy, but that's good to hear it's possible for it to thrive despite dogs and walking.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:25 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Don't forget the "Get off my lawn" sign !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: