Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 05:20 PM

232 posts, read 180,361 times

Advertisements

Is finding new construction WITH a private pool and enclosure an unrealistic dream? Is it better to buy a new construction and then add a pool afterwards? I am concerned what that would do to builder warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 10:35 AM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Having the pool/enclosure built with the home is easier and more cost effective in my opinion than dealing with another contractor afterward. Although perhaps not transparent in the overall cost, I would bet heavily your price is lower on the original provided with the home versus a stand alone project later on.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Having the pool/enclosure built with the home is easier and more cost effective in my opinion than dealing with another contractor afterward. Although perhaps not transparent in the overall cost, I would bet heavily your price is lower on the original provided with the home versus a stand alone project later on.
I haven't found any new construction with an option for a pool though. Most offer options for patio and extended patio only.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:18 PM

210 posts, read 271,112 times
some builders have preferred vendors but don't do the pool themselves. Some allow you to use your own contractor. Some have very restrictive HOA's. Just depends on the builder and community. It's definitely easiest to use their preferred contractor.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:58 AM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
I haven't found any new construction with an option for a pool though. Most offer options for patio and extended patio only.
If I may ask where have you been looking and what is your price range? That's just bizarre you can't find a builder offering a pool option, in Florida...

Old 04-29-2020, 06:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
I am in the process of adding a swimming pool. In my case, the fiberglass pool and pumps/filters came from a swimming pool retailer. The pool came from the top manufacturer in the business and was received in 3 weeks. The pool store turns over the project to an independent contractor that just installs pools, and he goes all over the state.

The fiberglass pool was installed in 1 1/2 days, but we're being held up on completion for rain. Things have to be dry to get rid of the small mountain of dirt.

I had to find an electrician experienced in swimming pool electrics, and his 3 man crew was here yesterday. They failed to read the instructions on the salt water generator, and I had to tell them it needs hooked up to the pump controller to get it working only when the pump was working. They're retuning today.

An independent concrete man will come in after the electrical inspection by the county. I'm paying him separate and we're laying much more concrete than just around the pool.

Some of the local swimming pool stores do 100% of the job, but they're installing mostly vinyl liner pools and sometimes gunite pools. These type pools are much slower to install, they're really backed up seasonally--as many as 40 pools. And most are priced $9-10K more than my pool guys with a lower cost of doing business. But the difference is that I'll be competed this week (weather pending) while I may be waiting until August if I went with the other stores.

If I was building a pool in Florida on a house in the process of being constructed, I would prefer that the house be 90% completed before starting on the pool. Building is complicated enough without taking on more than you can chew. But it will be nice not to have to landscape the house twice if it's in the end stages of construction. And I'm a big fan of the fiberglass pools for long life and lower maintenance.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If I may ask where have you been looking and what is your price range? That's just bizarre you can't find a builder offering a pool option, in Florida...
Winter Garden, Windermere, Clermont with budget of $350k to $450k. 3 beds, 2 bath.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 3,631 times
Dream Finders Homes and Pulte both offer pool options.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 AM

109 posts, read 110,821 times
As noted, it may be easier to have the builder do it. The home I am in now has a pool/enclosure supplied
by the builder. My first home in FL, I put the pool in with a contractor just months after the house was
completed.

No issue with the builder's warranty, but I would caution that approach with- make sure you find a reputable
pool contractor. There are many in Central Florida that disappear (and some that reappear under a different
company name).

I had issues with my first pool and the pool builder would not stand behind their warranty. They said I kept
my chlorine a little high a few months and that was reason for issue (although totally unrelated). Despite the
owner being my neighbor, they never supported us. (Shortly after they went bankrupt and then popped up
again under a new name.)

I would suggest doing research and getting your own "references" (some companies use "references" that are
in fact their friends).

By having the home builder responsible, they may have more of a vested interest in keeping you happy, especially
if they are still building homes in the neighborhood.

Good luck,
@movetoorlando

Old 05-08-2020, 12:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I am in the process of adding a swimming pool. In my case, the fiberglass pool and pumps/filters came from a swimming pool retailer. The pool came from the top manufacturer in the business and was received in 3 weeks. The pool store turns over the project to an independent contractor that just installs pools, and he goes all over the state.

The fiberglass pool was installed in 1 1/2 days, but we're being held up on completion for rain. Things have to be dry to get rid of the small mountain of dirt.

I had to find an electrician experienced in swimming pool electrics, and his 3 man crew was here yesterday. They failed to read the instructions on the salt water generator, and I had to tell them it needs hooked up to the pump controller to get it working only when the pump was working. They're retuning today.

An independent concrete man will come in after the electrical inspection by the county. I'm paying him separate and we're laying much more concrete than just around the pool.

Some of the local swimming pool stores do 100% of the job, but they're installing mostly vinyl liner pools and sometimes gunite pools. These type pools are much slower to install, they're really backed up seasonally--as many as 40 pools. And most are priced $9-10K more than my pool guys with a lower cost of doing business. But the difference is that I'll be competed this week (weather pending) while I may be waiting until August if I went with the other stores.

If I was building a pool in Florida on a house in the process of being constructed, I would prefer that the house be 90% completed before starting on the pool. Building is complicated enough without taking on more than you can chew. But it will be nice not to have to landscape the house twice if it's in the end stages of construction. And I'm a big fan of the fiberglass pools for long life and lower maintenance.
The above is completely illegal in Florida.

In order to build a pool in Florida, you have to hire a licensed contractor, the contractor must pull the correct permits, then build it.

Code Officials literally drive around looking for people who are doing jobs themselves. You cannot pour concrete or take down a wall in your home without pulling a permit and the only person who can pull permits is a licensed contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando