Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 01:01 PM

71 posts, read 403,120 times

Advertisements

Let's say work/commute and schools are not an issue, what are the pros and cons when comparing just these two areas? Winter Garden ~or~ Winter Park

What's the difference?

Which one is better for your typical family of four; one elem. age child and one teenager.

We like to have our bank, grocery story, dry cleaners and pharmacy within a 5 mile radius. Having a nice hospital or at least some sort of urgent care center within 5 miles as well. Shopping and theaters would be a bonus.

Nice parks. Walking/biking paths. Outdoor events (ex: farmers market, small concerts, community 'fun days') would be nice, but not a must.

We don't want to be surrounded by empty rental homes. We want neighbors who will lend us a cup of sugar if need be.

What might be some major differences? Size? Population? Crime rate? Traffice? Available access? Older homes vs newer homes? Retired folks vs families? Noticeable income differences maybe? Is one more established? Is one closer to a better or worse part of town?

I'm just trying to get a handle on these two areas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Default Hi there

Well both are nice areas. The one big difference i would say is that Winter Park is pretty much downtown. Whilst there are some really nice areas, you wont be too far from crime because of its downtown proximity. Winter Garden on the other hand for the most part is very nice, with the new shopping area you are never far from good quality, high end shopping. It depends on where you want to raise your family, somewhere slightly more rural, or downtown. You will notice, alot of people recommend Winter Park, in terms of commute, simply because it is so close to Downtown without actually being downtown, if that makes any sense. But there are some very nice areas.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:38 PM

I understand. Hmmm, yeah I think I'd rather not be 'downtown' or even that close to it. A more rural area will be my focus for sure. Phew, thanks for that. I was starting to get them boggled up in my research. It's a little more clear now for sure. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:59 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Default hi there

You have to go down 535. You are right though, if you go over 50 into downtown winter Garden there is a pretty area but the 50 area for want of a better word is crap....lol

Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 PM

33 posts, read 182,613 times
Winter Park is not downtown. It's 4 miles from downtown. It's also very safe and has a lot of high-end shopping. Even the so-called bad part of Winter Park - on the other side of the railroad tracks - is fine; my sister and her family lived there without any problems.
In terms of your requirements, Winter Park meets them:
- There's a hospital right in the city (Winter Park Memorial).
- There's a farmer's market.
- There's an annual art fair.
- There's the Cady Way trail for jogging, walking, and biking.
- There's the Winter Park Village for movies/restaurants, and Park Avenue for shops/restaurants. There's also lots of shopping centers/banks/grocery stores/etc.
- The schools in Winter Park are among the best in the county.
- Winter Park has a lot of beautiful parks.

I have never been to Winter Garden so I can't comment on that city or compare it to Winter Park.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:37 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,323 times
Winter Park is very nice. Not all of it is expensive. Winter Park Pines off of Aloma Ave. (Ranger Blvd) is a very nice neighborhood and is disricted for some of the top schools in Orange County.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando