Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 02:23 PM

141 posts, read 320,351 times

Advertisements

My take is that Orlando can be so transient and is growing ... so lots of classes have kids coming & going.

So my take is that it's pretty easy for kids to make friends.

It has also to me been the easiest place to make friends as an adult too. So few people are from here, so they don't have all their old friends. I think it's been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 02:33 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Suggestion: join the NextDoor app for your new neighborhood, and ask around for kids who enjoy the same games that your kids like.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:35 PM

294 posts, read 542,738 times
Thank you all for such great tips and advice, it truly helps a lot

Old 06-09-2020, 09:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
So ok, they’re ‘shy’ as far as being the ones who reach out to other kids in person to introduce themselves etc, but they’re HUGE online gamers and have zero problems making friends online and being very chatty with them...so they do have some type of a niche that they can bond with other kids their age..it’s just person to person they’re kinda quiet..at first...if someone opens up to them first, they’d DEFINITELY have no problem making conversation..it’s the initial contact that they have the hardest time with..and we’re not Indian or anything were Caucasian, love Boston sports, and love that Tom Brady and Gronk is in Florida now bc it’s like the Pats came with us down there lol..and where were from is very diverse so there are no issues when it comes to anything race/religious related. So..I’d like to think we’d fit in most places

Oh ok, I got your name confused with another poster who was asking about Indian Temples. I'm also excited for Tom Brady and Gronk to be nearby now.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 PM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
but they’re HUGE online gamers and have zero problems making friends online and being very chatty with them...so they do have some type of a niche that they can bond with other kids their age..
I'm sorry...but huh?

As a parent, why don't you "kick them out of the house" so they can make REAL, non-virtual friends? I may be showing my age some, but when I was a kid, we had Nintendo and Sega in our home. My parents insisted that my brother and I play outside. Video games were played only for 90 mins at night.

Break them from their online habits. THAT is why they're shy....they have no real life social skills!

Old 06-12-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
I'm sorry...but huh?

As a parent, why don't you "kick them out of the house" so they can make REAL, non-virtual friends? I may be showing my age some, but when I was a kid, we had Nintendo and Sega in our home. My parents insisted that my brother and I play outside. Video games were played only for 90 mins at night.

Break them from their online habits. THAT is why they're shy....they have no real life social skills!
We have no children in the neighborhood for them to play with, and a wacko neighbor that screams at them when they ride their bikes..also there isn’t much to do outside as I live in the city in MA..not flat safe streets for them to be on.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:46 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
We have no children in the neighborhood for them to play with, and a wacko neighbor that screams at them when they ride their bikes..also there isn’t much to do outside as I live in the city in MA..not flat safe streets for them to be on.
I see nothing wrong with them having a social life in video games. They’re still socializing, and if anything, it’s a modern day approach to doing that for kids growing up today.
Ya saying “back in my day, we played outside” isn’t a fair argument, as times have changes drastically.
If my kids want to go outside to play, I go out with them. It’s not at all the same as when I was a kid 25-30 years ago, when neighbors were best friends who lived in the same house for 20 years. Everyone now is too transient, and the world in general just moves at a much faster pace than it did just 20 years ago.

That said, I’ll suggest putting them in sports of some kind. There, they can make friends while being active. My kids play soccer, tennis, and run track, and I think they make friends more easily there than they do at school — and the quality of friends seem to be greater as well.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 110,872 times
I would suggest checking on the schools first and foremost. The state of Florida rates schools
based on standardized test scores and you can find these ratings on line (of course, check other
sources as well).

Every school district around Orlando area has nice suburban neighborhoods with plenty of kids.

I would suggest driving through any neighborhoods you are interested in during daytime, evening,
and weekend hours to check on activity.

I have lived in a few different neighborhoods around Orlando and some were not as social (you just
wave to neighbors, but never really know them) while others had social activities and neighbors were
friends.

The good thing around Orlando is that most people came from somewhere else and children are used
to welcoming newcomers. When we moved here our children had no problem making new friends. (Of
course, joining formal activities- soccer, baseball, karate, dance, etc. are a fast way to make friends)

Good luck
@movetoorlando

Old 06-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoorlando1 View Post
I would suggest checking on the schools first and foremost. The state of Florida rates schools
based on standardized test scores and you can find these ratings on line (of course, check other
sources as well).

Every school district around Orlando area has nice suburban neighborhoods with plenty of kids.

I would suggest driving through any neighborhoods you are interested in during daytime, evening,
and weekend hours to check on activity.

I have lived in a few different neighborhoods around Orlando and some were not as social (you just
wave to neighbors, but never really know them) while others had social activities and neighbors were
friends.

The good thing around Orlando is that most people came from somewhere else and children are used
to welcoming newcomers. When we moved here our children had no problem making new friends. (Of
course, joining formal activities- soccer, baseball, karate, dance, etc. are a fast way to make friends)

Good luck
@movetoorlando
Thank you , great advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando