Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 11:52 AM

66 posts, read 84,774 times

Advertisements

We live on many acres and have that lovely sugar sand "soil". Even though we treat as many acres as we can with insect repellent, the ants are back in days.

My dogs are large and have thick coats. They like being outside with us, and will lay down near us when we are working in the yard. The ants must have a special code for "dog flesh" because my dogs seem to be intensely bitten up at least a couple times a month.

These ants have sent us to the vet twice already this year for antibiotics and salves for the areas where the dogs have licked away their fur due to irritation.

My vet says there is no repellent for ants, but keep using the Seresto collar and heartworm/flea tablets so that at least that isn't an issue.

Haven't seen any fleas but those dang ants are everywhere!

So, Floridians that have many more years of experience with this issue than I do, what do you use to protect your dogs from ants? My dogs are not understanding that ant hills are not for laying on, so is there any repellent I can put on their thick coats to protect them from those nasty red devils?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 04:57 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Diatomaceous Earth is your best bet for fire ants. It's effective, all natural and safe to use on the dogs as well. https://www.amazon.com/Harris-Diatom...10204050&psc=1

Old 06-21-2020, 05:37 AM

66 posts, read 84,774 times
Thanks! I will give it a try!

Old 08-13-2020, 03:12 AM

7 posts, read 2,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskolci View Post
We live on many acres and have that lovely sugar sand "soil". Even though we treat as many acres as we can with insect repellent, the ants are back in days.

My dogs are large and have thick coats. They like being outside with us, and will lay down near us when we are working in the yard. The ants must have a special code for "dog flesh" because my dogs seem to be intensely bitten up at least a couple times a month.

These ants have sent us to the vet twice already this year for antibiotics and salves for the areas where the dogs have licked away their fur due to irritation.

My vet says there is no repellent for ants, but keep using the Seresto collar and heartworm/flea tablets so that at least that isn't an issue.

Haven't seen any fleas but those dang ants are everywhere!

So, Floridians that have many more years of experience with this issue than I do, what do you use to protect your dogs from ants? My dogs are not understanding that ant hills are not for laying on, so is there any repellent I can put on their thick coats to protect them from those nasty red devils?
Spreading diatomaceous earth around you house and all over your yard is a wise choice, though you'll need a couple of bags of it for sure.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:16 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
There are a lot of pest/fertilizer companies that can spray your yard for ants, pests, etc.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 AM

7 posts, read 2,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskolci View Post

And your vet is right, there are no ant repellents which are designed specifically for dogs, though there pet safe ant killers which can be used both indoors and outdoors. They are based on organic ingredients such as peppermint and rosemary, which are often used as a natural insecticide. But, obviously, you shouldn't spray your pet directly and only use it near possible nests locations.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:33 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
There is not much past the DE which is hit and miss.

Yea you can spray it, but I would not want my dog, nor myself, walking around in it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando