Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 03:55 PM

8 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Orlando this summer to see if we want to move here. I'm a database developer and she's an IT business analyst. We want to live close to where there are jobs like ours. We prefer to live in Doctor Philips or Winter Garden but we'll consider other places depending on the commute to work. We don't have kids yet so schools aren't a big consideration yet.

If we move to the area, we would rent an apartment initially and eventually but a house for up to $600K.

Questions:

1. How long is the commute from Dr. Philips and Winter Garden to jobs downtown?

2. Are there IT jobs south, southwest, or west of Orlando?

3. Any recommendations for apartment complexes or places to rent homes?

4. Any recommendations for must-see attractions or restaurants?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
Here's the standard line on this board in response to questions like yours:

The Orlando metro area is very spread out. Jobs can be anywhere. Long commutes to/from work can be horrible, given the traffic we have, and the roadways.

Your decision about where to live is optimally determined by where your job is. So, the best course to take is first find your job, then figure out where to live to minimize your commute.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartLivingTv View Post
My wife and I will be visiting Orlando this summer to see if we want to move here. I'm a database developer and she's an IT business analyst. We want to live close to where there are jobs like ours. We prefer to live in Doctor Philips or Winter Garden but we'll consider other places depending on the commute to work. We don't have kids yet so schools aren't a big consideration yet.

If we move to the area, we would rent an apartment initially and eventually but a house for up to $600K.

Questions:

1. How long is the commute from Dr. Philips and Winter Garden to jobs downtown?

2. Are there IT jobs south, southwest, or west of Orlando?

3. Any recommendations for apartment complexes or places to rent homes?

4. Any recommendations for must-see attractions or restaurants?

Thanks!

Is there any reason why you're focusing on Winter Garden and Dr Philips?

1. Varies... Can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 45+ minutes. That's assuming you land a job downtown. The hot areas for IT offices are Maitland, Lake Mary, and UCF/Research Park. Downtown is more law offices, bank offices, engineering and architecture. Although that will likely change quite a bit with the completion of the massive "Creative Village" downtown.

2. Few to none. They're North of Orlando, and soon, downtown. Most professionals West of Orlando either commute fairly long distances to an office, or work from home.

3. Ivanhoe (North Downtown), Maitland, Lake Mary.

4. Restaurants? Sure... Restaurant Row on Sand Lake in Dr. Philips has some really nice places.
If you want something less car-centric, where you can go for a nice walk after, or go have a drink/wine outside, Downtown Winter Park is a must. My personal favorite restaurant in the area is Victoria & Albert's. It's in Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. Just bear in mind, it is very pricey. But totally worth the experience.

All in all, I'm just curious as to why you've narrowed it down specifically to Winter Garden and Dr. Philips, when there are tons of other great places to consider, especially if trying to be close to the bigger tech employment centers.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 710 times
So as far as living in Dr. Phillips.. it is awesome! Winter Garden isn't bad or anything, but you are looking for IT jobs. Dr. Phillips is right next to Universal Studios. Universal is Comcast. I feel like you would be able to find a job there rather quickly. You could do the same at Disney though. Lake Beuna Vista is also a nice area, and that's where WDW is.

1. If you insist on just living in one of those areas And driving into the city it's going to take you at least 30 min, but I can put this into perspective, I live in LBV and work for Universal. Anywhere else I have lived my couple miles trip would take 10 min or less. In Orlando I leave for my shift an hour early, and sometimes I still don't make it in time, even though they give us a 7 minute grace period. It's ridiculous. There are a lot of tourists and many of those tourists rent cars that are American, but they haven't practiced driving on the opposite side of the road as they are used to. It can get a little crazy.
2. Honestly, I have no idea. I just know my company has a large IT department.
3. There are new places being built off Palm Parkway. It's like LBV area going towards turkey lake Walmart, which is right by Dr. Phillips. (That is confusing if you can't visualize it, I know, I'm sorry, but Google Maps search turkey lake Walmart and follow the road towards Disney and you'll see the new places

Old 07-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Here's the standard line on this board in response to questions like yours:

The Orlando metro area is very spread out. Jobs can be anywhere. Long commutes to/from work can be horrible, given the traffic we have, and the roadways.

Your decision about where to live is optimally determined by where your job is. So, the best course to take is first find your job, then figure out where to live to minimize your commute.
Thanks!

I currently live in the DC Metro. There are IT jobs downtown of course and there are IT jobs in pockets west of DC (Tysons, Reston, Herdon, etc.). I was hoping there were "pockets" around Orlando as well.

Deciding where to live will be a challenge because I anticipate switching projects/jobs every so often.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:01 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartLivingTv View Post
Thanks!

I currently live in the DC Metro. There are IT jobs downtown of course and there are IT jobs in pockets west of DC (Tysons, Reston, Herdon, etc.). I was hoping there were "pockets" around Orlando as well.

Deciding where to live will be a challenge because I anticipate switching projects/jobs every so often.
Lake Mary, Maitland, Downtown, and Research Park.

Those are the main "pockets."

Downtown is also getting a pretty large "Creative Village" that should be completed fairly soon.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Is there any reason why you're focusing on Winter Garden and Dr Philips?

1. Varies... Can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 45+ minutes. That's assuming you land a job downtown. The hot areas for IT offices are Maitland, Lake Mary, and UCF/Research Park. Downtown is more law offices, bank offices, engineering and architecture. Although that will likely change quite a bit with the completion of the massive "Creative Village" downtown.

2. Few to none. They're North of Orlando, and soon, downtown. Most professionals West of Orlando either commute fairly long distances to an office, or work from home.

3. Ivanhoe (North Downtown), Maitland, Lake Mary.

4. Restaurants? Sure... Restaurant Row on Sand Lake in Dr. Philips has some really nice places.
If you want something less car-centric, where you can go for a nice walk after, or go have a drink/wine outside, Downtown Winter Park is a must. My personal favorite restaurant in the area is Victoria & Albert's. It's in Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. Just bear in mind, it is very pricey. But totally worth the experience.

All in all, I'm just curious as to why you've narrowed it down specifically to Winter Garden and Dr. Philips, when there are tons of other great places to consider, especially if trying to be close to the bigger tech employment centers.
Thanks!

We primarily wanted to live in Dr. P. to be close to the parks and entertainment. I read that professionals lived in Dr.P and that it's diverse (I'm Black). Also, someone told me that I could get reach downtown from Dr. P. in 20 minutes. I assumed I could find some work downtown.

Winter Garden is mostly a secondary choice in case the house we want is too expensive in Dr. P. I saw some houses in WG on YouTube that were really appealing.

I'll look into the areas you listed. Thanks again for the responses.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Lake Mary, Maitland, Downtown, and Research Park.

Those are the main "pockets."

Downtown is also getting a pretty large "Creative Village" that should be completed fairly soon.
Awesome, thanks. I'm checking out the Creative Village website now. It looks really interesting.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynDee26 View Post
So as far as living in Dr. Phillips.. it is awesome! Winter Garden isn't bad or anything, but you are looking for IT jobs. Dr. Phillips is right next to Universal Studios. Universal is Comcast. I feel like you would be able to find a job there rather quickly. You could do the same at Disney though. Lake Beuna Vista is also a nice area, and that's where WDW is.

1. If you insist on just living in one of those areas And driving into the city it's going to take you at least 30 min, but I can put this into perspective, I live in LBV and work for Universal. Anywhere else I have lived my couple miles trip would take 10 min or less. In Orlando I leave for my shift an hour early, and sometimes I still don't make it in time, even though they give us a 7 minute grace period. It's ridiculous. There are a lot of tourists and many of those tourists rent cars that are American, but they haven't practiced driving on the opposite side of the road as they are used to. It can get a little crazy.
2. Honestly, I have no idea. I just know my company has a large IT department.
3. There are new places being built off Palm Parkway. It's like LBV area going towards turkey lake Walmart, which is right by Dr. Phillips. (That is confusing if you can't visualize it, I know, I'm sorry, but Google Maps search turkey lake Walmart and follow the road towards Disney and you'll see the new places
Thanks. I will check out the local job postings and see what type of gigs are available at Universal, WDW, etc. I may have to learn something new. Salaries for Cloud jobs appear to be pretty good in the Orlando area.

I'll also check out the apartments you suggested. We are visiting Orlando in the fall (COVID permitting) and plan to visit some properties for sell and for rent.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:08 PM

232 posts, read 180,690 times
We just bought a house in Dr. Phillips. We spent a couple of days driving around Winter Garden, Windermere, Gotha, Clermont, Dr. Phillips. At the end of the day, location wins and Dr. Phillips is closer to shops, restaurants, entertainment, airport, and downtown. We found some nice houses in west side of Winter Garden but it felt so far away from "stuff".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando