Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 09:11 AM

232 posts, read 180,500 times

Advertisements

Apologize for stupid question but what do you need gas for? We bought a house and we remembered in the pictures there was a propane tank by the side of the house. We closed and realized the propane tank is gone. I assume the previous owner was renting it and returned it when they moved out? But we are confused why they need one in the first place? Stove is electric. Water heater is electric. We are going to install an electric heater for the pool. What else would they have used the gas for? Winter heat? Is that needed in Florida??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 10:04 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Seems very odd not to know such basic things about a house you plan to buy. Didn't you ask what the tank was for? What does the property listing information say about features (such as gas heat, electric heat, auxiliary heater) and what equipment conveys with the house (such as the propane tank NOT conveying with the house)? Maybe they used propane heat for something but replaced it with electric prior to listing. Ask your realtor to contact the sellers and ask what they used propane for. Ask a neighbor if they remember what propane company they used, call them and give them the service address. They might tell you.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:21 AM

285 posts, read 229,199 times
Did you READ what the disclosures and outlined???? good grief - what specific "appliances" etc were conveyed with the sale?? Did you get the house inspected? Research permits issued? Red Flagged?
An outside propane storage tank has to be approved in most counties

Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM

529 posts, read 1,175,514 times
You don’t say what size tank, but it could have been owned by the previous owner for use with their outdoor grill or smoker, an outdoor fireplace/heater, or possibly a turkey fryer.

Dax

Old 08-01-2020, 12:58 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
Apologize for stupid question but what do you need gas for? We bought a house and we remembered in the pictures there was a propane tank by the side of the house. We closed and realized the propane tank is gone. I assume the previous owner was renting it and returned it when they moved out? But we are confused why they need one in the first place? Stove is electric. Water heater is electric. We are going to install an electric heater for the pool. What else would they have used the gas for? Winter heat? Is that needed in Florida??

If you want a permanent generator, a propane tank is useful, but other than that, I would rather not have one on my property.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:09 PM

764 posts, read 392,495 times
Outdoor grill?

Old 08-01-2020, 05:34 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
My new to me house had a huge propane tank 8' from the house right in front of a vent going under the house. And the tank was empty.

It was to power two unvented LP gas fireplaces.

I didn't have any desire to spend so much $ to fill a 500 gallon tank, and the tank's location was illegal by State Law. I had it removed prior to the closing on the house.

Only fireplace I'd ever want is a Direct Vent model--with combustion air coming from outside.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:03 PM

232 posts, read 180,500 times
Yup, we had an inspection and no mention of propane or gas. The listing did not list gas as utility. And we asked our agent and seller agent. Both said they are not sure what they used it for. The previous owner is no longer reachable. And we didn't see the propane tank either when we toured the house and during final walkthrough. It was only after we closed and I was looking through the listing pictures that I noticed there WAS a propane tank there. And it's a big tank. Definitely not for grilling....

Old 08-01-2020, 11:01 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
Yup, we had an inspection and no mention of propane or gas. The listing did not list gas as utility. And we asked our agent and seller agent. Both said they are not sure what they used it for. The previous owner is no longer reachable. And we didn't see the propane tank either when we toured the house and during final walkthrough. It was only after we closed and I was looking through the listing pictures that I noticed there WAS a propane tank there. And it's a big tank. Definitely not for grilling....

I had one in our yard, it was originally put there for a fireplace... but to me it was an eye sore, so I just had the company remove it.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:55 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Well, it is also possible the photo showing the tank was old...from a prior listing of that house. Sometimes if a house has sold more than once over a fairly short time photos do get re-used. I bought a house in 2017, lived there 3 years, and ended up selling it this year. We re-used a few photos from the previous listing because they happened to show a good angle/lighting of something that hadn't changed. Sure, the tank was no longer there but maybe no one paid that much attention because the tank was going to be removed. Maybe there was a gas appliance in the past but it has been replaced. Can you see evidence of where a tank sat in the yard? If the tank was removed very recently you probably would...remains of footings or a stand, different grass or plantings.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-02-2020 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando