Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 08:11 AM

341 posts, read 292,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you do end up moving let me know, I can write a list of a lot of places to check out (but only if you decided to move because I don't want to waste my time lol) and the vast majority of Orlando isn't touristy too. Good luck with your choice!
Thank you I really appreciate that. I probably won't know for sure for another 3-4 weeks and if this doesn't happen my plan B is to move to Ft. Lauderdale (which was my original Plan A, lol). I honestly was preferring to live right on the beach but I don't want to commute to Orlando from the beach cities near there, (seems like it's a min 1 hour commute which is too long). Plus I was trying to figure out the right city for me since I don't want to end up in a city of retirees - I am early 50's and still going in my career, so I prefer to be around working professionals. I have a lot to think about that's for sure.

Last edited by luckydogg; 09-19-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 09:06 AM

786 posts, read 626,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Thank you I really appreciate that. I probably won't know for sure for another 3-4 weeks and if this doesn't happen my plan B is to move to Ft. Lauderdale (which was my original Plan A, lol). I honestly was preferring to live right on the beach but I don't want to commute to Orlando from the beach cities near there, (seems like it's a min 1 hour commute which is too long). Plus I was trying to figure out the right city for me since I don't want to end up in a city of retirees - I am early 50's and still going in my career, so I prefer to be around working professionals. I have a lot to think about that's for sure.

Career-wise Ft Lauderdale is probably your best bet. You have far more developed areas around you to commute to. Beaches are right there, and depending what price you can pay housing is an abundant option.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Career-wise Ft Lauderdale is probably your best bet. You have far more developed areas around you to commute to. Beaches are right there, and depending what price you can pay housing is an abundant option.
That's what I was thinking, I would like to be in an area where I can network with other professionals in accounting/finance, IT, etc. The job I am interviewing for in Orlando would be a good opportunity for me and I would really like the work. But since I don't know anything about Orlando I was trying to figure out if I could live there. My fear is that it might just be a big suburb in the middle of Florida (maybe like inland Orange County, CA) and I might welcome that when I am 75 or 80 but right now I am not sure that would work for me. I am also talking to two more companies in the SE area (Miami up to Ft. Lauderdale), but those jobs aren't as appealing as the one in Orlando but I love the location. So it might be a tradeoff of better opportunity vs location. I am a bit torn on that right now...but will see how things evolve over the coming weeks.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Opportunities come go and change over time. You should decide where you want to be and not based on how easy it is to get a job and put down roots. That's what I did in Central Florida and have regretted it ever since.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Opportunities come go and change over time. You should decide where you want to be and not based on how easy it is to get a job and put down roots. That's what I did in Central Florida and have regretted it ever since.
Yeah the other thing I am dealing with right now is companies and their WFH situations or policies (or lack thereof), which could greatly affect where I live, and for how long. It just kind of adds more uncertainty into the mix, when many of us have enough uncertainty in our lives right now as it is. Don't need more.

What are your regrets about central Florida?

Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 AM

210 posts, read 271,207 times
Lived in Fort Lauderdale (near Las Olas in Victoria Park) for 5 years. I worked in advertising and my husband in finance. We have lived in Orlando (specifically winter park but also lived in Thornton park) since 2012 and I would never go back to south Florida. My very tough, ex pro athlete husband described the financial industry in south Florida as “hand to hand combat.”

Quality of life, quality of people and potential growth in so many different segments keeps us in Orlando. I have lived in tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Gainesville and now Orlando and I can say without a doubt that there is no other Florida city I’d rather be in.

I do miss the Gulf side beach and I loathe new Smyrna but I’ve come to love our lakes and spend a lot of time on and around the winter park chain.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:51 AM

WFH???
Sorry I dont know that term.

I dont like the crime, tourists, traffic, distance from the beach. I bought a SFH in 2006 and it still is worth half of what I paid, I'll be ok because rent has skyrocketed since 06... but never wanted to be a landlord.

I'm finishing my 2nd degree at FIU and working my way out of Central Florida, COVID has slowed that process. I'm exploring some internships with a really wide net so outside Florida is my goal, almost all opportunities in my network are in S. Florida naturally.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:16 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post

You're welcome =)

You wouldn't want to live in any of the beach cities near Orlando anyways. There are nice beaches, but the those little towns are run down besides a couple "cute" streets. The beaches are beautiful though.

Orlando is actually one of the youngest major cities in Florida. The median age is only 33 years old, it's actually a young city and the downtown neighborhoods have a thriving younger scene of local breweries, etc. In comparison, Fort Lauderdale's median age is 42 years old. Have you been to Fort Lauderdale? I've never been a fan of it... it seems smaller to me than Orlando to be honest. I used to live in Boca Raton, which is 20-30 minutes from Fort Lauderdale.

If you go to South Florida, I would look around Miami, specifically Brickell. It's beautiful in that area, tons of young professionals, beautiful condos, architecture and people haha. You can also check out Coconut Grove. I still have quite a bit of friends in South Florida, many of which moved to Miami, so I go fairly often. I still prefer Orlando, but if I were to move out of Orlando and stay in Florida, hands down it would be Miami (specifically Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables).

Old 09-19-2020, 12:17 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
WFH???
Sorry I dont know that term.

I dont like the crime, tourists, traffic, distance from the beach. I bought a SFH in 2006 and it still is worth half of what I paid, I'll be ok because rent has skyrocketed since 06... but never wanted to be a landlord.

I'm finishing my 2nd degree at FIU and working my way out of Central Florida, COVID has slowed that process. I'm exploring some internships with a really wide net so outside Florida is my goal, almost all opportunities in my network are in S. Florida naturally.
WFH = work from home

Old 09-19-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Lived in Fort Lauderdale (near Las Olas in Victoria Park) for 5 years. I worked in advertising and my husband in finance. We have lived in Orlando (specifically winter park but also lived in Thornton park) since 2012 and I would never go back to south Florida. My very tough, ex pro athlete husband described the financial industry in south Florida as “hand to hand combat.

Quality of life, quality of people and potential growth in so many different segments keeps us in Orlando. I have lived in tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Gainesville and now Orlando and I can say without a doubt that there is no other Florida city I’d rather be in.

I do miss the Gulf side beach and I loathe new Smyrna but I’ve come to love our lakes and spend a lot of time on and around the winter park chain.
Haha that made me laugh.

I do see some benefits of living in Orlando over such as growth as you said, and since I do plan to buy real estate there that's always good for home values. So I haven't ruled it out completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando