Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 04:01 PM

73 posts, read 47,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
Say what you want but Miami is a ****hole. Everyone knows it, and everyone hates it. Trying to help the OP make the mistake lots of people do, then they move out and bash Florida thinking Miami represents Florida.
I won’t comment further because of my great respect for elchevere, but it’s very hard to disagree with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 04:06 PM

786 posts, read 625,870 times
Like I said:

Tiny Barking Dogs. The more they yap the more they expose themselves for what they really are. Must get that attitude from the assumption Miami represents all of Florida.

Last edited by cfenn006; 09-21-2020 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 04:17 PM

73 posts, read 47,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Like I said:

Tiny Barking Dogs. The more they tap the more they expose themselves for what they are. Must get that attitude from the assumption Miami represents all of Florida.
Is this what insecure people from Miami are like? Lol you’re the barking dog that is whining because the truth is being told about Miami. And now you’re trying to steer another unsuspecting fool to the same doom that has entangled you. I’m just telling the truth. If that makes me a “barking dog,” because I’m not buying the bull crap you know you’re selling, then so be it, Florida Man.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
Is this what insecure people from Miami are like? Lol you’re the barking dog that is whining because the truth is being told about Miami. And now you’re trying to steer another unsuspecting fool to the same doom that has entangled you. I’m just telling the truth. If that makes me a “barking dog,” because I’m not buying the bull crap you know you’re selling, then so be it, Florida Man.

Unsuspecting fool?

I'm sure the OP appreciates that, keep yapping. Your "truth" holds more impact with your every well thought out keystroke, in proving my point. He is getting a front row view what it's like in Central Florida where a trip outside can turn into the Jerry Springer Show.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:37 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
I'm not biased toward any city in Florida. I lived in South Florida and lived in Orlando. I wasn't born in Florida. I don't have any favorite sports teams in Florida, etc. As I mentioned before, I work from home and have a higher than average income for Florida standards. I recently bought an $800k house, so I can afford to live in either city and we could have moved to Miami instead of buying another house in Orlando.

The main reason is the cost of real estate in Miami is pretty ridiculous, especially when it has the lowest median income in Florida. It's lower than the SF Bay Area, but surprisingly arguably more expensive than many parts of OC. Given that I would rather live in OC if I'm going to pay those prices. The only exception to that would be Brickell. I do like that part of Miami a lot and it is pretty unique too. I like Orlando a lot too, which is why it gives the best overall lifestyle for us and what we like. We also like Miami too, can't wait for the high speed train from Orlando to Miami to finish building, but living wise, it's not worth the price tag, unless the housing market crumbles again like it did during the last recession. I would suggest for the OP to visit the recommended areas in both cities and decide for themselves.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:38 AM

He isnt wrong about housing prices in Miami. If you move there you are competing with international buyers and higher wealth individuals for coastal and downtown residencies. More people want to live there, Supply and Demand. It's easier to search for homes to buy too:
100-250K homes STAY AWAY Crime Map will tell you why.
250-300K homes visit and walk the area. That's your middle class.
350k Plus- No real Concerns

Orlando us experiencing an affordable housing crisis as well, it's cheaper for many families to live in roach motels than rent a place. The rise in prices do not justify the wages, as much North East money is pricing the Central Florida residents out. Also many who bought before the Housing Market Crash (Myself included) have still have not seen their homes value recover. I'll have no choice to be a landlord which is the last thing I want to do. The area has not recovered evenly, and some locations have spiraled farther downhill. I'm ever able to unload this property breaking even or for an acceptable loss I'd consider this a massive victory.

There are inexpensive gems in Miami, but you got to be ready to strike within an hour of the MLS hitting and know the area. Competition in homebuying is fierce for cheap real estate.

Much like Orlando, most of the people who work and go there, do not live in the city limits. The prices outside the city closer reflect what middle class actually can afford. This is pretty much universal.

Florida wages are far below other states, this is not really a secret and often coined the "Sunshine Tax". Be honest about your current financial situation, if you have an in demand job with experience, you will be fine anywhere to pick your lifestyle. If you are looking for a change in lifestyle, or career and think you can make it on entry level or just pick up a gig you won't make it here.

The temptation to pay less taxes bring so many from California, New York, Boston, New Jersey, ect, but the reality is many of them have to make due on a fraction of their old wages, higher insurance costs, being 100% dependent on driving, the education system if they have children is far below their standards of acceptable too , making private or prep schools another expense. Being originally from the North East, I would love to leave Florida. The warm weather isnt everything, and the bad decision to put down roots pretty much has me trapped in the state. For me, South Florida is just making the best of the situation.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:08 PM

141 posts, read 115,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Hi I am considering relocating to Orlando from California for work. I have never lived in Florida, but I am prepared to deal with the heat/humidity since I have experience with that. But, I am wondering about hurricane or tropical storm related weather issues, which I have no experience with at all. Namely:

1. Does Orlando get power outages very often due to weather? If so are outages more than a day?
2. Is there ever flooding to the point where your car is damaged?
3. Have you ever evacuated due to weather? If so how far in advance should someone evacuate to avoid being stuck in a major traffic jam?

Also wondering if there's a benefit to living in a highrise condo vs single family home with regards to power outages (I read that some have generators), and safer due to construction?

Thanks for any input, I am used to fires and earthquakes, but no hurricanes.

I recently moved to Orlando and I was born and raised in South Florida, so I feel somewhat qualified to answer.

1. We get flickers during severe lightning storms. I have yet to experience a prolonged power outage. I experienced power outages over the years in South Florida primarily because of hurricanes, which are not every day events. Flickers can happen there too during insane thunderstorms. Overall, expect to have power 99% of the time.

2. I haven't seen flooding here.

3. Never. Orlando is a place people from South Florida flee TOO during bad storms. Evacuating makes the most sense if you're near the coast. Authorities will advise when evacuations are necessary. Basically, it's all down to timing. If a storm track seems pretty locked on where you live and you're in a precarious location, such as on a barrier island, it's best to bail early.

I've lived in homes and condos and I've been fine. I've also had family in high rises on the beach who were fine. Construction codes are pretty strict in South Florida. That said, here in Central Florida I see wood-only apartments going up, which makes me look twice. If you're going into a single family home, make sure it's concrete brick on the 1st floor at a minimum.

The good (?) thing about hurricanes is you can see them coming and prepare. It's best to have stuff ready to go at the start of the season because invariably all the transplants rush out to Publix and panic buy every drop of water, etc. as soon as they think a hurricane is inbound.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:18 AM

28 posts, read 27,193 times
A lot of people move here (Orlando) to “escape” South FLA. But I’m sure plenty of people love it down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando