Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:44 PM

29 posts, read 32,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thera are many nice areas beyond Lake Sylvan. There's Lake Forest, the Orange Boulevard/Astor Farms area, the Oregon Avenue corridor (Kaywood/Calabria/Greystone), New Upsala (Idyllwilde/Monterey Oaks), Mayfair Country Club area, the neighbprhoods surrounding Seminole State College, The Preserve at Lake Monroe, Mayfair (east of downtown, south of the lake), the Historic District near downtown, the Mellonville Rd historic area, Celery Key area and the southside (south of 419/417) with newer construction neighborhoods and older custom homes on larger lots. If one has any experience with the city itself versus mouthing off over what someone else said on the internet, one would know the difference.
Seriously? You’re really just naming individual neighborhoods and enclaves and passing them off as proof that Sanford isn’t a hole? You can do the exact same thing for literally every city in the world. These neighborhoods represent the exceptions, not the rules. I will say it’s already better than when I first visited in 2017. The City has spent millions prettying up the riverfront and the downtown and have made some progress, however check out the crime rate. It is very high for a small city. The area of Sanford around the Lake Mary Blvd area, as well as Rinehart Road is safe and your best bet is on the west side of I-4 along SR 46 to the north and Lake Mary Blvd to the south. All in all, pass on Sanford until it gentrifies more, no matter what the homers say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 04:12 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTwoThree View Post
Those areas as being nice are just your opinion, and you already mentioned you live there so you’re clearly biased. Why would I have an agenda? You’re just taking criticisms of your city personally. I’m not attacking you, so I can’t understand what you would mean when you say I have an agenda I’m merely saying my opinion and relaying my observations. Every single city has bad and ugly areas and conversely, nice and wealthy areas. I’m not discounting Sanford as being anything different. It’s just there are FAR more ugly, rundown areas than nice, and a good portion of them are near or around the core. Ergo, a dump. Most in central Florida regard Sanford as they do Kissimmee for a reason. Kissimmee has nice areas too, but the mere mention of the name has certain ... connotations that reek of undesirability. Sorry, but you know it’s true.

If your feelings are hurt, move. Otherwise, deal with it.
Racism comes to mind in two cities with similarly large minority populations as well as local media on standby for the next crime committed. It's widely known locally some cities have PR firms that keep their prospective cities out of the negative media limelight, Lake Mary is just one of them. Sanford and Kissimmee with limited city budgets due to smaller, less affluent tax bases overall do not. You state every city has nice and ugly areas but Sanford in your opinion has more. I doubt heavily that's via some comparisons you made independently, rather via some observation based on other criteria. Feel free to fess up to what that amounts to...

Old 10-23-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Racism comes to mind in two cities with similarly large minority populations as well as local media on standby for the next crime committed. It's widely known locally some cities have PR firms that keep their prospective cities out of the negative media limelight, Lake Mary is just one of them. Sanford and Kissimmee with limited city budgets due to smaller, less affluent tax bases overall do not. You state every city has nice and ugly areas but Sanford in your opinion has more. I doubt heavily that's via some comparisons you made independently, rather via some observation based on other criteria. Feel free to fess up to what that amounts to...
Wow, really? Orlando has a huge minority population. Invalid point. There’s nothing racist about Kissimmee and Sanford being undesirable. Only someone with no leg to stand on would make such a baseless accusation considering the entire metro area has a high non-white population. Try again.

You’re just mad your city sucks. Like I said, move. There are plenty of other cities in metro Orlando that have less blight, lower crime, and a larger share of nicer, newer, well-kept areas. That’s not to say Sanford is a terrible city, but compared to other options in Greater Orlando, it’s absolutely in the Kissimmee tier. People don’t move there willingly, like they do Oviedo, Altamonte, Winter Park, Winter Springs, Winter Garden, Lake Mary, or other desirable areas. 98% of people move to Sanford because they have to, because it’s what they can afford or because of work. End of story. I don’t care to go back and forth with someone with a clear agenda because he very obviously is biased towards the city he resides in. Deep down, you know the truth, and that’s good enough for me.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Wow, really? Orlando has a huge minority population. Invalid point. There’s nothing racist about Kissimmee and Sanford being undesirable. Only someone with no leg to stand on would make such a baseless accusation considering the entire metro area has a high non-white population. Try again.

You’re just mad your city sucks. Like I said, move. There are plenty of other cities in metro Orlando that have less blight, lower crime, and a larger share of nicer, newer, well-kept areas. That’s not to say Sanford is a terrible city, but compared to other options in Greater Orlando, it’s absolutely in the Kissimmee tier. People don’t move there willingly, like they do Oviedo, Altamonte, Winter Park, Winter Springs, Winter Garden, Lake Mary, or other desirable areas. 98% of people move to Sanford because they have to, because it’s what they can afford or because of work. End of story. I don’t care to go back and forth with someone with a clear agenda because he very obviously is biased towards the city he resides in. Deep down, you know the truth, and that’s good enough for me.

Overall I agree with you and I know Kyle rarely if ever compliments anything about the Orlando area, yet he sure defends Sanford for some reason, which I think is the main reason he dislikes the Orlando area. If he lived in say Baldwin Park, Thornton Park, he probably wouldn't be so negative all the time. I agree that Sanford and Kissimmee rank around the same level of desirability. They are different from each other, but if you were to judge by desirability, they are both similar near the bottom. This could change in the future as there has been some progress.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:40 AM

648 posts, read 517,448 times
Unfortunately at least in OC the same could be said of Apopka, where I live. I cannot defend against or deny the higher concentration of socioeconomic blight, poverty, and crime in South Apopka, but it unfortunately winds up painting with a very broad brush (to some) the feeling of the overall area just because of the name. Yet where I am (in the unincorporated region of Apopka near Longwood) it’s a very different world. Solid middle to upper middle class, with no hint of the environment just a few miles South. I almost feel like I’m forced to include the “unincorporated” when I say I live in Apopka. It’s too bad, as it is a very nice area located central to anything from Orlando to Mount Dora.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:31 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Wow... just... wow...

Old 10-24-2020, 01:26 PM

648 posts, read 517,448 times
Arcenal, am I off base on this? Perhaps my choice of words to describe the South Apopka area was stronger than intended. I can see reading it later that it goes beyond the relative difference I intended to observe.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:00 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:

As you go onto highlight heavily white majority areas. You walked right into that...seriously, come back when you can maintain a meaningful argument.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:52 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
As you go onto highlight heavily white majority areas. You walked right into that...seriously, come back when you can maintain a meaningful argument.
The majority of my friends in Orlando are minorities, I actually have one white friend and the majority of my friends live in Kissimmee. They would much rather live in Dr. Phillips or Downtown area... and it’s not because they hate their race! It’s because there is more poverty, less things to do, far from the areas they like to go out for fun. Let me guess... if someone would rather live in Manhattan than say the Bronx... you’d call them racist instead of realizing that ummm yeah pretty much everyone would rather live in Manhattan than the Bronx if money wasn’t an issue. If someone wanted to live in Nob Hill instead of Bayview (in San Francisco) you’d also call that racist? I guarantee you 99% of people in those areas would switch if they could afford it.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Okay, how about this for heavily white areas: Bithlo. Christmas. These are often viewed as undesirable. Nothing to do with race as much as it does the things that BMW335 highlighted previously. Sorry, but Sanford is merely a single step above Bithlo. Like I said, Sanford isn’t the worst place in Orlando, but you need to be honest with yourself and with the individuals asking about it. I guess I get why you’re offended. I didn’t mean to specifically target you, as I didn’t even know you lived there. But c’mon, accusing me of being a racist because you’re offended doesn’t make what I say about Sanford untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando