Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are currently thinking of going back to Bloomington, IN. We lived there for 4 years and that's where we started as a family when I was pregnant w/ our first. We now have 2 boys, 4 & 1. Had to move back to FL when he suffered a stroke to be near his family since we have no family or relative in Bloomington, IN. Been here for almost 18 months now, renting a house, working from home, staying home due to covid, and my husband missed his old job or our old life when it was just us and somewhat away from his prying aunt. I think my husband has a point. I somewhat like Florida now - no state tax, the places/state parks we visit, the climate during winter, although I miss fall - except the bugs. Although a friend in Bloomington, IN told me that rent is high now in Bloomington. We used to pay $675 inclusive of water. It was a really nice duplex w/ 2 beds & 1 bath, the owners are really kind and the only rental they have now is in Bedford. Currently we rent a house for $1350.

Please let me know what you guys think. Someone who's lived in both cities/states - your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Should we just stay in Florida & move to another city or move to Bloomington??

Please help. We have one month left to do ponder and make final decision.

Thanks a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 09:16 AM

27,238 posts, read 44,210,944 times
That's a tough call although for lifestyle though I would think Bloomington offers a better overall fit for families with better schools, less crime and a four season climate with varying recreational options. The family dynamic is certainly complicated and the cost of living might be equal but perhaps a better value for the amenities in Bloomington, especially schools. Lastly for whatever it's worth Indiana seems to be taking Covid more seriously and has gone back to restrictions to regain control, versus Florida's whatever/who cares approach.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM

237 posts, read 286,001 times
Seems to me you need to book an appointment with someone who has a couch and a specialized degree on the wall. Asking for advice from complete strangers on an anonymous message board isn't what I would do.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:12 AM

764 posts, read 395,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tems View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are currently thinking of going back to Bloomington, IN. We lived there for 4 years and that's where we started as a family when I was pregnant w/ our first. We now have 2 boys, 4 & 1. Had to move back to FL when he suffered a stroke to be near his family since we have no family or relative in Bloomington, IN. Been here for almost 18 months now, renting a house, working from home, staying home due to covid, and my husband missed his old job or our old life when it was just us and somewhat away from his prying aunt. I think my husband has a point. I somewhat like Florida now - no state tax, the places/state parks we visit, the climate during winter, although I miss fall - except the bugs. Although a friend in Bloomington, IN told me that rent is high now in Bloomington. We used to pay $675 inclusive of water. It was a really nice duplex w/ 2 beds & 1 bath, the owners are really kind and the only rental they have now is in Bedford. Currently we rent a house for $1350.

Please let me know what you guys think. Someone who's lived in both cities/states - your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Should we just stay in Florida & move to another city or move to Bloomington??

Please help. We have one month left to do ponder and make final decision.

Thanks a lot!!!
I would go to Bloomington. Personally I think it's safer than here, especially with kids.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,025,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
I would go to Bloomington. Personally I think it's safer than here, especially with kids.
I'd go to Bloomington too. Seems to me the only disadvantage is January and February.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:10 PM

334 posts, read 627,840 times
I grew up in the Midwest. Those people are so republican. uninformed, and man there is NOTHING TO DO! Ind university is it. I had cousins that grew up there, a nice, calm group of people. They, all 4 of them, hit 18 went away to college and never looked back. LOL. Ind. vs FL. is no comparison. IF you like bitter cold compared to heat and humidity, maybe try AZ. or Colorado? But Ind.??? No Way!

Old 12-19-2020, 07:28 PM

801 posts, read 458,154 times
I have a friend who moved from CA to IN just for the schools for her kids.
I know that IN has generally better education than CA, that's for sure.
IN is cold!
I lived there for awhile and it's very quiet but it is a red state, lots of "backwards" people (though not so much in Bloomington, where I also lived for awhile).
The people there are generally nice, but like I said, something like 90% of the state voted for Trump. My relative who lives in IN said "Why should I vote? It's 100% sure that all the Republican candidates are going to win!"

Personally I hate snow and cold, so I would not live there. And the summers are hot and humid (though not as bad as FL).

But if you don't mind living in a Red, cold state, IN is a pretty good choice. Especially for education.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:48 AM

27,238 posts, read 44,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
).
The people there are generally nice, but like I said, something like 90% of the state voted for Trump. My relative who lives in IN said "Why should I vote? It's 100% sure that all the Republican candidates are going to win!"
We don't have a ton of room to talk with representation like DeSantis, Rubio, Gaetz and Scott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: