Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 10:20 AM

102 posts, read 305,034 times

Advertisements

Hello,

With remote work flexibility we may have an opportunity to relocate but are unsure. Would love to get some ideas from this forum members.

We are currently located in Delaware, although the winters are not extreme, its does get cold and can't enjoy the outdoors as much. Also, honestly Delaware is boring and nothing here to do in the city that we live in.

Yes we are close driving distance 2-3 hours from major cities like NYC and Washington DC and Philly, but honestly we aren't going there now due to covid anyways.

We are looking for good schools, safe and diverse cities (with south asian population). Don't want to be in any racist filled areas or neighborhoods.

We would like to be able to be short drive from the beach, some hiking if possible, good food, and just plenty of things to do year round, would be nice if its closer to international's airports (for when things open up and are normal).

We would love to spend sometime this winter by renting some AirBnB to get a feel, most likely be driving down there.

I know I asked a lot, but help me narrow my search to a specific city and couple of neighborhood and I can come back and ask more specific questions on those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 04:04 PM

26,985 posts, read 43,527,133 times
Check out Lake Mary. It has a fairly high Asian population (about 7%), which is almost entirely South Asian. It's a very safe city with lots of parks/recreation facilities and welcoming of all ethnicities. Unlike much of the Orlando area it's not traffic congested or overrun by tourists. It's an easy drive to the Orlando airport (around 30 minutes) and 15 minutes to Sanford-Orlando International which has nonstop service to much of the Northeast US and charter international flights.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:27 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,100,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Lake Mary. It has a fairly high Asian population (about 7%), which is almost entirely South Asian. It's a very safe city with lots of parks/recreation facilities and welcoming of all ethnicities. Unlike much of the Orlando area it's not traffic congested or overrun by tourists. It's an easy drive to the Orlando airport (around 30 minutes) and 15 minutes to Sanford-Orlando International which has nonstop service to much of the Northeast US and charter international flights.
While I agree with Lake Mary being a fantastic area with what OP is looking for, it’s a bid strange to describe “much of the Orlando area” as being overrun by tourists... Tourism is really only a thing in a secluded area outside of the main parts of the metro.

In what world does it take 30 minutes to get from Lake Mary to MCO???

Old 12-23-2020, 05:34 AM

211 posts, read 266,618 times
While you probably won't find hiking like you're used to, there are great nature trails and springs drivable from the Orlando area. Orland is a rapidly growing technology center as well as medical research so you will find that compared to other Florida cities it trends more diverse and younger. It's not Miami but I see that as a good thing.

I think if you searched demographics by zip code through Orange County you'd find that they are very similar. I'd let budget, school ratings and the type of home dictate how to narrow those down.

I am partial to Downtown Orlando, College Park, Baldwin Park, Winter Park, and some of Maitland. But I also appreciate Lake Nona and Windermere for people that want more of the 'burbs. We aren't big fans of traffic and have always lived near the downtown area. If brightline and sunrail figure their issues out, we will be set on airport travel.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:15 AM

26,985 posts, read 43,527,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
While I agree with Lake Mary being a fantastic area with what OP is looking for, it’s a bid strange to describe “much of the Orlando area” as being overrun by tourists... Tourism is really only a thing in a secluded area outside of the main parts of the metro.

In what world does it take 30 minutes to get from Lake Mary to MCO???
The inevitable Dr Phillips-Windermere suggestion is more of what I was aiming at. I take the 417 to the airport and it's 32 miles. Do the math, 70+ mph over that distance is 30 minutes or less. Of course I also tend to take early morning or mid-morning flights out to avoid rush hour.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:26 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,100,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The inevitable Dr Phillips-Windermere suggestion is more of what I was aiming at. I take the 417 to the airport and it's 32 miles. Do the math, 70+ mph over that distance is 30 minutes or less. Of course I also tend to take early morning or mid-morning flights out to avoid rush hour.
Gotcha.

As for the drive to the airport, I’m just never that lucky on the 417. Always hit major congestion at least twice (typically between Red Bug and Colonial) and again past University and into Lake Nona...

If you time it right and/or are lucky, sure... 30 minutes is doable.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:25 PM

2,933 posts, read 4,100,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hello,

We are currently located in Delaware, although the winters are not extreme, its does get cold and can't enjoy the outdoors as much. Also, honestly Delaware is boring and nothing here to do in the city that we live in.

Yes we are close driving distance 2-3 hours from major cities like NYC and Washington DC and Philly, but honestly we aren't going there now due to covid anyways.
2-3 hours?! I take it you're in Slower Lower? Beach towns I presume?

Quote:
We are looking for good schools, safe and diverse cities (with south asian population). Don't want to be in any racist filled areas or neighborhoods.
Orlando isn't really known for it's big Asian community (but not really known for it's big racist population either), The area is more black/white/hispanic, the Asian population here is more in line with the national average. But Orlando does boast one of the oldest Vietnamese communities in the US.

I have a kid in grade school (Orlando, near downtown) and it's pretty diverse. Her old school in the Bay Area of California was 40% white, 18% hispanic, 16% asian, 16% multi-ethnic, 5% black. Her school here is 50/30/8/5/7 in those same categories. It's different, sort of, but not really. We could've lived in a different neighborhood in California with those same demographics. I get it, you don't want your kid to be the only (insert ethnicity) kid but I think that would be the more the exception than the rule. Academically her school here is by far better. The class sizes in CA (among other things) are ridiculous. Also, the school districts here are countywide so in practice your kid will be assigned to your neighborhood school but you can apply to go any school in the district, space permitting, and there are some good magnet schools as well.

Anyway, most people I meet of South Asian descent in Orlando came to the US via the Caribbean, not straight from Asia, and most of them are 2nd generation American. With that said, the parts of the metro area with the most Asians are in the area between Alafaya/Goldenrod/East Colonial/McCulloch Roads; the Park Lake neighborhood which is north of E. Colonial between Mills and I-4; the area west of the airport and south of 528 which would include the neighborhoods of Williamsburg, Hunters Creek, Meadow Woods, etc; and finally the Bay Hill/Doctor Phillips area. The census tract that surrounds Big Sand Lake (between I-4 and Apopka Vineland Rd. south of Sand Lake Rd.) is the most Asian in the metro at 25%. (sorry, I wish could share the map I made in Social Explorer but this site is wacky with the hosting requirements)

Specifically South Asian, that's going to be Bay Lake, Hunters Creek, and Meadow Woods.

Quote:
We would like to be able to be short drive from the beach, some hiking if possible, good food, and just plenty of things to do year round, would be nice if its closer to international's airports (for when things open up and are normal).
My parents used to live close to the Delaware border, near Kennett Square, PA. The foliage and the wildflife in Florida are a lot different but the topography is almost exactly the same. Instead of things going flat to upland as you head north in Delaware it's more of an east/west orientation here. In western Orange Co you have rolling hills and in eastern Orange Co. it's flat and swampy. In either direction though there are great state parks. It's something I never thought about before moving here but it's still really easy to get out to near wilderness and there's a lot of natural beauty here.

Unless you're in far west Orange County you're never really that far from the beach. But if you want those other things that are important to you you'll probably wind up 45-70 minutes from the beach.

If suburban is your thing then Bay Lake, Hunters Creek, and Meadow Woods might be the place for you. Check the schools. It's close to Sea World and Disney, close to the airport, about an hour to the beach, and around the corner from some seriously bomb Indian food. Bawarchi Biryanis on International (aka, I Drive) and a plug for Selam Ethiopian while I'm at it - I went down there last weekend just for the coffee. I had some lunch too while I was there . But groceries like Patel Brothers, Apna Bazaar, etc. are in the Orange Blossom Trail corridor south of Sand Lake Rd. (You'll often hear OBT referred to with negative connotations but that is more the northern part of it that runs through the city.) Also shout out to Lotte Plaza Market on West Colonial - technically Korean - where you can find lots of South Asian specialties.

But yes, there's a lot of good food here.

Quote:
We would love to spend sometime this winter by renting some AirBnB to get a feel, most likely be driving down there.

I know I asked a lot, but help me narrow my search to a specific city and couple of neighborhood and I can come back and ask more specific questions on those neighborhoods.
I'd try to stay near the center of town if possible. That way you can get to all parts quickly. FWIW, Orlando and Winter Park have restrictions on Airbnb and short-term rentals in general. City of Orlando only allows it part-time or if you have an accessory unit. E.g. the principal owner has to live there most of the year. I think Winter Park banned it outright. It winds up being much easier to find a place in Seminole County or in unincorporated areas of Orange County.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:27 AM

276 posts, read 280,044 times
Check out Windermere, Winter Garden, Dr.Phillips. Windermere and Winter Garden have many newer subdivisions and are very family friendly. I would definitely rent before you purchase and you should be able to find a nice rental. This will allow you time to really "live the area" and look around! Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
2-3 hours?! I take it you're in Slower Lower? Beach towns I presume?

Orlando isn't really known for it's big Asian community (but not really known for it's big racist population either), The area is more black/white/hispanic, the Asian population here is more in line with the national average. But Orlando does boast one of the oldest Vietnamese communities in the US.

I have a kid in grade school (Orlando, near downtown) and it's pretty diverse. Her old school in the Bay Area of California was 40% white, 18% hispanic, 16% asian, 16% multi-ethnic, 5% black. Her school here is 50/30/8/5/7 in those same categories. It's different, sort of, but not really. We could've lived in a different neighborhood in California with those same demographics. I get it, you don't want your kid to be the only (insert ethnicity) kid but I think that would be the more the exception than the rule. Academically her school here is by far better. The class sizes in CA (among other things) are ridiculous. Also, the school districts here are countywide so in practice your kid will be assigned to your neighborhood school but you can apply to go any school in the district, space permitting, and there are some good magnet schools as well.

Anyway, most people I meet of South Asian descent in Orlando came to the US via the Caribbean, not straight from Asia, and most of them are 2nd generation American. With that said, the parts of the metro area with the most Asians are in the area between Alafaya/Goldenrod/East Colonial/McCulloch Roads; the Park Lake neighborhood which is north of E. Colonial between Mills and I-4; the area west of the airport and south of 528 which would include the neighborhoods of Williamsburg, Hunters Creek, Meadow Woods, etc; and finally the Bay Hill/Doctor Phillips area. The census tract that surrounds Big Sand Lake (between I-4 and Apopka Vineland Rd. south of Sand Lake Rd.) is the most Asian in the metro at 25%. (sorry, I wish could share the map I made in Social Explorer but this site is wacky with the hosting requirements)

Specifically South Asian, that's going to be Bay Lake, Hunters Creek, and Meadow Woods.

My parents used to live close to the Delaware border, near Kennett Square, PA. The foliage and the wildflife in Florida are a lot different but the topography is almost exactly the same. Instead of things going flat to upland as you head north in Delaware it's more of an east/west orientation here. In western Orange Co you have rolling hills and in eastern Orange Co. it's flat and swampy. In either direction though there are great state parks. It's something I never thought about before moving here but it's still really easy to get out to near wilderness and there's a lot of natural beauty here.

Unless you're in far west Orange County you're never really that far from the beach. But if you want those other things that are important to you you'll probably wind up 45-70 minutes from the beach.

If suburban is your thing then Bay Lake, Hunters Creek, and Meadow Woods might be the place for you. Check the schools. It's close to Sea World and Disney, close to the airport, about an hour to the beach, and around the corner from some seriously bomb Indian food. Bawarchi Biryanis on International (aka, I Drive) and a plug for Selam Ethiopian while I'm at it - I went down there last weekend just for the coffee. I had some lunch too while I was there . But groceries like Patel Brothers, Apna Bazaar, etc. are in the Orange Blossom Trail corridor south of Sand Lake Rd. (You'll often hear OBT referred to with negative connotations but that is more the northern part of it that runs through the city.) Also shout out to Lotte Plaza Market on West Colonial - technically Korean - where you can find lots of South Asian specialties.

But yes, there's a lot of good food here.

I'd try to stay near the center of town if possible. That way you can get to all parts quickly. FWIW, Orlando and Winter Park have restrictions on Airbnb and short-term rentals in general. City of Orlando only allows it part-time or if you have an accessory unit. E.g. the principal owner has to live there most of the year. I think Winter Park banned it outright. It winds up being much easier to find a place in Seminole County or in unincorporated areas of Orange County.
wow, thanks this is a lot of good information and I will need to read it a couple times to fully understand areas etc. We are in North Delaware, but find it really boring, the plus is that the city only has 35k population so somewhat less traffic, but yeah traffic in the summer sucks and I was never found of the murky east coast beaches.

Its a toss up as we can't decide if we should stay put save on no sales tax, somewhat relatively MCOL or move to warmer place, like Florida (no income tax) and hearing that a lot of companies are now moving to Texas or Florida. within Florida not sure which city, picked Orlando as we have been to Disney once and when we went to Miami, it gave a young single persons town. So we are open to other parts or Orlando but our biggest ask are diverse, lots of things to do, and family friendly.

So did you move from California recently, as we have been also dabbling with the idea to perhaps moving to San Diego to be closer to family.

Since Airbnb is not allowed, maybe VRBO for month or three would be a good option.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
While you probably won't find hiking like you're used to, there are great nature trails and springs drivable from the Orlando area. Orland is a rapidly growing technology center as well as medical research so you will find that compared to other Florida cities it trends more diverse and younger. It's not Miami but I see that as a good thing.

I think if you searched demographics by zip code through Orange County you'd find that they are very similar. I'd let budget, school ratings and the type of home dictate how to narrow those down.

I am partial to Downtown Orlando, College Park, Baldwin Park, Winter Park, and some of Maitland. But I also appreciate Lake Nona and Windermere for people that want more of the 'burbs. We aren't big fans of traffic and have always lived near the downtown area. If brightline and sunrail figure their issues out, we will be set on airport travel.
It was one the question I should have asked about job market and good to know that the tech scene is booming, not that we work in tech, but still good to know, I think our bank has presence in Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando