Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 07:05 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You definitely have the NY rant down verbatim in terms of those disenchanted, but bear in mind those sky high taxes get you things we don't have. Massive infrastructure, extensive world class public transit and superior schools will be the first things you relinquish and the whine will reach even higher pitches when you realize the food/restaurant scene sucks in comparison and that Florida is the only state that has no idea of what a farmers market is for the most part. Medical care is below average with a very noticeable absence of the youngest and brightest in practice here despite the presence of TEN medical schools in FL. Lastly there's the weather, which cannot be overstated enough. Imagine NY's six weeks of bad summer weather expanded to almost nine months of around 90 degree or hotter with high humidity here in FL with the consistent overplayed threat of hurricanes headed your way, or not. The PSTD from that year to year gets to be a bit much..

World class public transit? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Good one!

Superior schools? That's even better! LOLHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! Stop it man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 10:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I think most Floridians don't mind New Yorkers unless they forget why they're fleeing that state and try to turn Florida into another New York.

The heat and humidity aren't pleasant but at least you don't have to shovel it like the snow.

Orlando was overrated for me. High cost of living and generally low wages. It didn't feel like a city, it felt like a large suburb.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:54 PM

786 posts, read 627,414 times
Asking Northern transplants:

Is the cold weather really that much of a factor of moving to Florida?

After years of living in all climates, but most in Florida I have grown to absolutely hate it here. Speaking of only weather in this post. It's basically a year round Summer and Spring. The complete lack of seasons kills me every year, it makes holidays and seasonal events feel meaningless. The transplants I've spoken to tend to agree, but appear to either be still in the honeymoon phase of not having to shovel snow in life or Tundra PTSD.

I admit I'm bias, I live to play Outdoor Ice Hockey and feel my Dry Suit collecting dust is nothing short of a crime.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:55 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Asking Northern transplants:

Is the cold weather really that much of a factor of moving to Florida?

After years of living in all climates, but most in Florida I have grown to absolutely hate it here. Speaking of only weather in this post. It's basically a year round Summer and Spring. The complete lack of seasons kills me every year, it makes holidays and seasonal events feel meaningless. The transplants I've spoken to tend to agree, but appear to either be still in the honeymoon phase of not having to shovel snow in life or Tundra PTSD.

I admit I'm bias, I live to play Outdoor Ice Hockey and feel my Dry Suit collecting dust is nothing short of a crime.
I grew up in Canada, as an avid ice hockey player, and never cared for outdoor hockey lol... Ruins good blades. That said, I’ve found quite a few solid men’s leagues here to fill the void. Some surprisingly good players here too — lots of ex ECHL and euro league guys.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:17 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
World class public transit? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Good one!

Superior schools? That's even better! LOLHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! Stop it man!

lol I agree with your laughter. I moved from San Francisco and the same comments were thrown at me too. Orlando's infrastructure, roads, parks, etc are much nicer and not overrun by homeless people and $8 per hour parking. Anyone who romanticizes about the public buses or subways in NY area or SF area have never spent more than a short vacation. It's not something people are happy to use, it's because they cannot afford a place that has parking for a car and have no other choice, but to use the dirty, often delayed, often harassed public transit systems in these two cities.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:45 PM

786 posts, read 627,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I grew up in Canada, as an avid ice hockey player, and never cared for outdoor hockey lol... Ruins good blades. That said, I’ve found quite a few solid men’s leagues here to fill the void. Some surprisingly good players here too — lots of ex ECHL and euro league guys.

That's true, but as a Goalie, killing blades isnt much of a concern to me. Theres nothing like skating in the elements though. The A-Leagues around here are legit, but the attitudes of some of these guys kill the fun they are under some weird illusion they are still going to get that pro nod. The B-C Leagues are fun, but its populated with a lot of weekenders who cant show up to enough games to make a competitive league. Strictly C League in a few spots are the most fun but too many of them are Learn to Skate Guys, but if the crowd is all Adult this is where you find the true BEER League. Pickup Hockey is where it's at in FL, Ice Factory and RDV have good drop in. Gold Coast was awesome down south, but havent been in a LOOoNNNG time, but joining a team here has been too inconsistent for me.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:30 PM

283 posts, read 289,975 times
Where you in NYC during Sandy? If you made it through that you’re somewhat battle-tested for any hurricane that will come through here

Old 03-14-2021, 10:19 PM

297 posts, read 196,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
Where you in NYC during Sandy? If you made it through that you’re somewhat battle-tested for any hurricane that will come through here
Sandy was a joke. Just a couple of weeks of no heat, no electric and feeding off the queens library for phone electricity.

What was NOT a joke was the tornado's prior to that ~2 years? Found some cars onto of house roofs and about 70% of all of the 5 foot diameter trees went down on main roads.

Best of it - in New York nobody prepares for anything. You can have a meteor heading for manhattan and people will only discover it on the news. Never mind their building on fire. Back when we had 911 happen, people in midtown were complaining why the trains were delayed.

I gave up on this city - no fixing something without realizing what a poop show it is. It is so bad, the 0/10 number rating system wraps around and starts off in the high 8's.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:51 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Another New Yorker is thinking about moving downtown. I already have a house here but what I’m seeing here is wild. We pay an extra (20k in taxes) a year for our King Cuomo.... anyway not going off on a rant but when I see your high housing cost problems, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Sign me up. If you think 300k for rundown 2k sqft ranch is bad, you should try 850k asking going for 1.2m on a house with squatters you can’t evict and mold growing on all ceilings. Oh and our schools are worse than yours but don’t worry, the new owner will be paying 30k/year in taxes on it while enjoying 25 degree weather half the year across the train tracks.

Winter park I see is one the better areas. I’m a bit scared of hurricanes but seems like most of your houses are built from concrete. Wow your developers have a brain? Sign me up. I’m liking Florida so far.

Is there anything I’m missing from Near Orlando area that my expectations won’t be met? I know for sure if the tables were turned I would stop you at the i95 from coming here if your intention was to live a better life.
So you are from New York city Area or upstate? Orlando is very blue, more than the Tampa Bay area I would say. I know if you want to live in city limits here, $300k is very low or too low for anything decent. More like $400 and they way the market is going, I am seeing $500 townhomes in areas that before people would not desire. I guess this is why people move to the suburbs. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:53 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
Just please don't vote in the same trash that taxed you out of NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando