Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 07:34 AM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopThe Steel2024 View Post
pho no!!!!!!!! everybody knows Florida sucks at the asian restaurants bro. you want stone crabs and key lime pie? this is your place. florida sucks at asian and mexican food especially compared to someof the places talked about here like atlanta, california etc. last time i had pho at a restaurant in florida it tasted like a big bowl of water.
Mexican food?? Really??? Maybe it’s lacking in Naples and Miami, but Central Florida is FULL of authentic Mexican spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 02:33 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
@drive carefully, you did think Pho 75 on Washington by South 12th was any good? I thought it was okay.
It's funny you mention that because I lived right behind Wing Phat Plaza for a couple of years. I never tried Pho 75 - I always went to Nam Phuong or Viet Huong depending on what I was looking for. I was back there a few weeks ago and went straight to Nam Phuong for their lemongrass noodles. For Banh Mi I would always go to this little hole in the wall spot at 7th & Christian that was right across from John's Water Ice that probably closed about 15 years ago. After they closed I started going to Cafe Cuong and Ba Le - Viet Huong eventually became my go to, not because they were better but because they had the full deli and boba - and they also did pho.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Mexican food?? Really??? Maybe it’s lacking in Naples and Miami, but Central Florida is FULL of authentic Mexican spots.
100%.

When I lived in CA everyone used to trash mexican food on the east coast and I don't think it's the quality that's the difference. When I was in Philly all the Mexicans were from Puebla or, to a lesser extent, Oaxaca.

In the Bay Area it seemed like every Mexican had origins in Jalisco or Sinaloa.

Here it seems like everyone is from the Gulf states or Oaxaca.

It's different specialties and different techniques. It's like going to Milan and complaining that the southern Italian specialties suck.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:45 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post

It's different specialties and different techniques.

Different techniques. I see.

Like for example, when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida that makes their salsa with Barilla pasta sauce from a jar, that must be a "different technique." (Tampa)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and they serve you carnitas drenched in red sauce, that must be a "different technique." (Orlando)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and the "chips and salsa" are actually cracked up hard taco shells and sauce straight from a box of Old El Paso. (Sarasota)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and you ask for corn tortillas and they give you flour (and vice versa), from a BAG of course, instead of made from scratch. Mmhmm. (Miami)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and they serve you pico de gallo (if they have it at all or even know what it is) that tastes like it came straight from a Sysco tub. Riiiiiight. (Boca)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant in Florida and ask for steak fajitas and what they serve you is not ranchera or skirt steak but some other cheap crap mystery meat that is pure rubber, with a side of guacamole that is half turned black and been cut with mayo. (Jacksonville) I have lost track of how many times I have been served BLACK (rotten) guacamole in Florida. Something they would shoot you over in California or Texas.

Different technique. A new euphemism for a bad restaurant. I will have to remember that one. It's been fun cruising down Memory Lane of all my exceptional Mexican dining experiences in Florida.

I will ask my Mexican friends for their opinions on Florida Mexican restaurants and report back. I can guarantee that their response will have nothing to do with "different techniques."

PS: For the picky Viet guy looking for great pho in Orlando/Florida, good luck. You are going to need it. Your best bet is to come visit after H Mart opens in Orlando.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-19-2021 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

Like for example, when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida that makes their salsa with Barilla pasta sauce from a jar, that must be a "different technique." (Tampa)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and they serve you carnitas drenched in red sauce, that must be a "different technique." (Orlando)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and the "chips and salsa" are actually cracked up hard taco shells and sauce straight from a box of Old El Paso. (Sarasota)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and you ask for corn tortillas and they give you flour (and vice versa), from a BAG of course, instead of made from scratch. Mmhmm. (Miami)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican restaurant in Florida and they serve you pico de gallo (if they have it at all or even know what it is) that tastes like it came straight from a Sysco tub. Riiiiiight. (Boca)

Like for example when you go to a Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant in Florida and ask for steak fajitas and what they serve you is not ranchera or skirt steak but some other cheap crap mystery meat that is pure rubber, with a side of guacamole that is half turned black and been cut with mayo. (Jacksonville) I have lost track of how many times I have been served BLACK (rotten) guacamole in Florida. Something they would shoot you over in California or Texas.

Different technique. A new euphemism for a bad restaurant. I will have to remember that one. It's been fun cruising down Memory Lane of all my exceptional Mexican dining experiences in Florida.

I will ask my Mexican friends for their opinions on Florida Mexican restaurants and report back. I can guarantee that their response will have nothing to do with "different techniques."

PS: For the picky Viet guy looking for great pho in Orlando/Florida, good luck. You are going to need it. Your best bet is to come visit after H Mart opens in Orlando.
WTF????

For the record, when I share my personal views and experiences, my gf is mexican, and knows a hell of a lot more than you do in terms of culture. But go on…

You have lost your mind…. Big time.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
WTF????

For the record, when I share my personal views and experiences, my gf is mexican, and knows a hell of a lot more than you do in terms of culture. But go on…

My post was in response to someone else's post, but I am the one losing my mind? Sure.
Hey if you don't like my posts, feel free to hit the ignore button.
Adios!

Old 07-20-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
My post was in response to someone else's post, but I am the one losing my mind? Sure.
Hey if you don't like my posts, feel free to hit the ignore button.
Adios!
Your entire post was completely clueless…
There are plenty of actual Mexican spots (authentic) around Central FL.
Maybe you just don’t know where to look.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
WTF????

It's fine. He just hasn't yet figured out that Tijuana Flats isn't Mexican.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's fine. He just hasn't yet figured out that Tijuana Flats isn't Mexican.
You eat there??????? That explains everything.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:18 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

I have these options within 20 minutes from me, and many more to choose from in the Orlando area alone that are Mexican family-owned establishments making "real deal" Mexican cuisine...

https://themenustar1.com/webspace/me...e-webview1.com

https://www.lafondamex.com/

https://www.chilangoswintersprings.com/

Mi Tierra-about us

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Antoj...24347501152156

https://tortilleria-el-progreso-mexi...edium=referral

https://www.lacampanamexican.com/menus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando