Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 05:20 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,167,036 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's a diverse opinion: we currently live in ATX (after having spent several years in North Phoenix) and chose the Lake Nona area. Fact of the matter is, we could afford to buy pretty much anywhere in the metro Orlando area (Golden Oak being an exception (College Park we could afford, just didn't like what $1m-$1.5m got you there).

In any event, Lake Nona is currently a little isolated to be sure, but the growth is rapid, so you certainly need to be prepared for that if you're considering moving there as it's coming like a fire-breathing freight train.

We both work from home and our kids are all in college, so schools were less of a concern to us.

We quite frankly didn't want any part of the I-4 corridor--not Dr Phillips, not Windermere, not Celebration, not Horizons West--none of it thank you. They're all lovely areas--just not for us.

If I was a betting man (I'm not), I'd wager that the next Trader Joe's and/or Costco is likely to be built in/around Lake Nona.

The developer of Lake Nona (Tavistock) is currently building out a brand new massive community south of Lake Nona called Sunbridge. Right now, the only sub-community there is an active 55+ community called Del Webb Sunbridge, so that won't work for your fam, but I believe the next section is called Weslyn Park and that will be all ages, have the appropriate new schools, etc. Might be worth a look-see.

Best of luck with your decision whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 03:03 AM

1,047 posts, read 729,879 times
I think humidity is healthier.

I have to moisterize my face three times a day in Vegas. That's expensive if you use designer.

Sweating vs a dry oven. In the beginning all people dismiss Vegas and AZ thinking a dry heat is manageable.

And it is, if you are in Vegas for a few days - busy on the strip.

Day to day living: I would want my children to have an ocean. It's a much better quality of life.

I have spent a lot of time in S. FL and assume Orlando isn't too different.....

Old 06-03-2021, 03:06 AM

1,047 posts, read 729,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
I lived in Vegas for 5+ years, Scottsdale for 1 year, and Orlando for 18 months. Anyone who says the desert's dry heat is significantly better or more tolerable is just coping. Orlando's humidity and lower average temperatures are much more tolerable than the insufferable summers in Vegas, where every time you opened your front door it felt like when you open a hot oven door and the heat hits your face.

Florida summers > Vegas/Phoenix summers
I actually got sick to my stomach opening the front door today. It is so hot in Vegas. I never got sick in FL.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 PM

57 posts, read 121,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yes, Lake Nona is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

If you like the “newness” of Lake Nona but would prefer to be more centralized, check out Baldwin Park. I currently live here, and it’s probably my favorite part of Orlando. Clean, safe, somewhat upscale for the most part, walkable, lots of parks and trails, and close to EVERYTHING: Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, bars, salons, gyms, lots of Asian stores, downtown Orlando is like 5 minutes away, Super Target in SoDo is 15 minutes away... Look it up on a map. I’d say, if you’re looking to be closer to downtown and surrounding areas, it’s a wonderful place. If you’d rather be closer to theme parks and attractions, Dr. Philips fits the bill. Two great areas.
I don't know the name of the housing addition but what is the area around Ridgewood Park Elementary like?
We see a home on Beau Lane that we are interested in but have only been to Orlando years ago. Looking for a place to retire and will be moving from Hawaii. Mahalo!

Old 06-10-2021, 07:25 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelucy5 View Post
I don't know the name of the housing addition but what is the area around Ridgewood Park Elementary like?
We see a home on Beau Lane that we are interested in but have only been to Orlando years ago. Looking for a place to retire and will be moving from Hawaii. Mahalo!

Bad area, you don't want to live there.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:24 AM

17,392 posts, read 15,554,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Bad area, you don't want to live there.
Agreed. Awful area. Shame because there are a few nice homes out there.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:56 PM

57 posts, read 121,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Agreed. Awful area. Shame because there are a few nice homes out there.
What a shame! Yes, there are some nice homes there on big lots.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:05 AM

334 posts, read 627,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfadaway View Post
Sorry everyone, I’m late responding and thank you to everyone for writing. So it’s sounding like everyone is pretty happy living in the Orlando area for the most part and summers are tolerable, compared to the deserts out west? A little more on myself. I was actually born and raised in SoCal (mainly in the Inland Empire area if you’re familiar), and have lived in Colorado for the past 9 years. I am absolutely over snow, ice, and cold weather overall. I love California as it is home, I just cannot stand the government there and the way they run the state. At this point I’m considering relocating either to the Phoenix or Orlando area. I have spent a lot of time in Phoenix and Vegas, so I’m pretty familiar with their summer weather. As for Florida, I’ve never stepped foot into the state. Moving there would be a total mystery to me. My wife is leaning towards AZ and although I like Arizona, something is telling me that my kids may not like living there. I feel that a place like Florida would be better for them as the weather and environment there makes me feel they would spend more time outdoors than they would in AZ. From afar I really like the Lake Nona area and feel drawn to it. Seems to be very up and coming, like somewhere we can grow with. Am I right for assuming you’re all pretty much happy there? Or would you move back out west given the opportunity?
it's important to remember the people responding live in Orlando, so of course they don't mind the humidity or they wouldn't be living here.
I spent some time in AZ. and there is much more than weather to consider. unless you like to hike, there is NOTHING to do there. DRy heat vs humid... no compare, and anyone who has spent time in both places at 112F can attest dry is not as bad as humid, period, LOL> I was surprised, also in Nevada you can get out of the heat pretty quick by going to the MTs to the west, reno, utah, a nice 2 hr drive, in any direction and you can be in a totally different climate.
There are so many other things to consider, politics for one, school ratings ( FLS are awful), healthcare, homes, insurance, so much. Perhaps you should do a bit more research? Also hurricane season and we are in for a very hot summer. maybe a good idea would be to vacation here for a couple weeks late august , do some on the ground research, and check things out for yourself.
Happy Hunting. ( we would be out west if our kids and grandkids weren't here. But that's just us.)

Old 06-16-2021, 04:43 AM

786 posts, read 630,521 times
One thing you also have to consider aside from the humidity in Orlando is the pollen. AZ, NV, and FL all have heat, but when you relocate to FL and discover you a have a bad reaction to the pollen in the area your life will be absolutely miserable. When I was younger and had to work outdoors, nosebleeds and coughing up blood was a part of daily life.

The pollen isnt always statewide issue though. I can go within 5 to 10 miles from any coast and be perfectly fine. On a drive from Orlando to Miami I can actually feel the pressure in my ears eyes and nose disappear around the West Palm Beach exits on I95 everytime.. and on the way back that 192 Exit I feel the pinch in my nose begin and then the sinus hell starts right back up.

The lucky ones can take pills, shots, but its not always the case, I know this first hand. Test the area out first and move around. If you have kids and they struggle with all treatments available, dont listen to anyone who tells you they will "Just get use to it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando