Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 03:53 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,720,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
While there’s a special place in my heart for the Castle, having grown up with it, I’m with you on your comment. It’s a sad testament when the crowds flocking to the opening of yet another franchise restaurant would make you think a Nobu suddenly appeared. I’d rather see more family owned high quality non franchise restaurants opening up.
It happens in the more residential areas of Orlando all the time, but they don't seem to be good enough for our more culinarily astute transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 06:42 PM

648 posts, read 509,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
It happens in the more residential areas of Orlando all the time, but they don't seem to be good enough for our more culinarily astute transplants.
@boy3365, if that little dig was meant for me, I’ll take the astute, but not the implied snobbery! (yes, I saw the ) I’m happy to find the good places in Florida, as I know they’re out there. So far I’ve found some nice spots in WG and WP, and I really haven’t even started my searching yet! It just seems like proportionately there are way more franchisey / chain type places in the area. Maybe it’s because it’s easier to cater to the humongous tourist traffic with places people know.

If a place is local, I’m willing to try it! I’ll find the ones I like.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:54 PM

19,914 posts, read 8,807,549 times
now that's an idea, remember it's Mother's Day Sunday, a day to honor the moms in your life. Go all out....take the family out to White Castle!

Old 05-08-2021, 07:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 4,583,963 times
Quote:
Apparently, the lines reached 1 mile with a 4 hour wait.
It wasn’t quite that bad when In’n’Out opened in DFW, but the wife and I (both Cali natives) had just set out to take our daughters to the zoo when we both kinda looked at each other and said “In’n’Out”, on their first store’s grand opening. We drove two hours but the wait was maybe 30 min. Totally worth it.

I’d like to have either White Castle, or In’n’Out, or maybe even a Culver’s here locally. So, I’m a bit jealous. I actually found White Castle to be fairly good, although I’ll toss in the caveat that my expectations were hella low. I’m jealous of y’all (and I’ve said that in this thread already).

Old 05-08-2021, 07:11 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,622,998 times
Hmmm...

I've been smitten with Tampa as a future relocation option, but this development might have tipped the scales in Orlando's favor.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,622,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It wasn’t quite that bad when In’n’Out opened in DFW, but the wife and I (both Cali natives) had just set out to take our daughters to the zoo when we both kinda looked at each other and said “In’n’Out”, on their first store’s grand opening. We drove two hours but the wait was maybe 30 min. Totally worth it.

I’d like to have either White Castle, or In’n’Out, or maybe even a Culver’s here locally. So, I’m a bit jealous. I actually found White Castle to be fairly good, although I’ll toss in the caveat that my expectations were hella low. I’m jealous of y’all (and I’ve said that in this thread already).
Culver's does have a few locations in DFW (if you're up for the 1 - 1.5 hour drive to Rockwall).

And yes, I would personally go out and canvass signatures for White Castle in DFW.

In 'n Out is overrated, IMO (although the Animal Fries are good).

Old 05-09-2021, 03:07 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,720,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
@boy3365, if that little dig was meant for me, I’ll take the astute, but not the implied snobbery! (yes, I saw the ) I’m happy to find the good places in Florida, as I know they’re out there. So far I’ve found some nice spots in WG and WP, and I really haven’t even started my searching yet! It just seems like proportionately there are way more franchisey / chain type places in the area. Maybe it’s because it’s easier to cater to the humongous tourist traffic with places people know.

If a place is local, I’m willing to try it! I’ll find the ones I like.
Sorry to make it seem like it was about you, but it was more of a dig at the food opinions I've seen by a few people on C-D over the years. I guess if one has lived and/or visited most of the country and been around the world like those commenters say they have, some of our options may not compare.

We actually had a decent discussion about why the tourist area will be chain-heavy here a couple of years ago. But I believe the core of the city will be where most of the up and coming places will be. Then as they grow and are able to expand, they will expand into the tourist areas (i.e. Gideon's Bakeshop at Disney Springs, The Ravenous Pig's sister store The Polite Pig at Disney Springs, Foxtail Coffee at Premium Outlets-Vineland, etc.)

I'm glad that you are finding local places that you like. It seems like the Winter Park/Orlando border is where much of the action is, but that is changing. Publications like Bungalower and Orlando Weekly are good for showcasing newer and trending eateries. Be aware that Orlando Weekly has gotten increasingly political in their content since COVID, so if you don't agree, that may be a turnoff. I guess they had to fill the pages with something while there was a slowdown in events.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:44 PM

648 posts, read 509,232 times
No problem! Thanks for the references to the two mags. There’s one like that where I used to live that had similar insights into what was new and local. I saw the weekly (?) from Altamonte Springs a few times, but it didn’t seem very useful for this sort of thing.

Quote:
Sorry to make it seem like it was about you, but it was more of a dig at the food opinions I've seen by a few people on C-D over the years. I guess if one has lived and/or visited most of the country and been around the world like those commenters say they have, some of our options may not compare.
Truth be told, I am one of those people , but I won’t assume anything about a new (to me) area’s culinary selections until after I explore the area myself! And explore I will - hey, for guilty delights I already found Donut King in Minneola!

Last edited by tonyp22; 05-09-2021 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 05:49 PM

334 posts, read 622,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
White Castle coming to Orlando, FL

"ORLANDO, Fla. - The wait is almost over!

White Castle has announced that it will open its highly anticipated Orlando location on May 3, 2021!"
this is not info anyone needs... WHERE IS IT!

Old 05-22-2021, 09:47 PM

24,325 posts, read 26,719,696 times
The lines are still YUGGGGGGE! I wasn’t planning on going there, but went to the outlets today and last week and the line of cars just to get onto their lot was insane both times with police directing traffic lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando