Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times

Advertisements

The rolling hills are on generally on the west side of town. If you look at google maps with the satellite layer turned on and zoom way out you can seen this long, thin strip running north/south from just west of Orlando down towards Lake Okeechobee. Clermont, Davenport, Lake Wales, and Sebring are all towns along this strip.

It's called the Lake Wales Ridge. That's where you find those 200-300 ft. hills.

You can also find some decent runs in the neighborhoods on the east and north sides of Lake Apopka. Not everywhere. You have to look but they're there. But you're also not gonna be "bombing" like I've seen in San Diego or Oakland. These are gentle "beginner or intermediate slopes." The better/bigger hills are going to be near the crest of the Lake Wales Ridge.

But if you're working at Mall of Millennia I don't think you want to be out in Clermont. Just drive out there with your board when you're not working. Living far from work here means toll roads and it gets expensive. Plenty of 1/1 apartments in nice neighborhoods in the $1200 range 3-4 miles from the mall. More still in the $1000 range in older and/or smaller buildings.

As with anywhere - beware of neighborhoods that seem too cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 01:04 PM

71 posts, read 103,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The rolling hills are on generally on the west side of town. If you look at google maps with the satellite layer turned on and zoom way out you can seen this long, thin strip running north/south from just west of Orlando down towards Lake Okeechobee. Clermont, Davenport, Lake Wales, and Sebring are all towns along this strip.

It's called the Lake Wales Ridge. That's where you find those 200-300 ft. hills.

You can also find some decent runs in the neighborhoods on the east and north sides of Lake Apopka. Not everywhere. You have to look but they're there. But you're also not gonna be "bombing" like I've seen in San Diego or Oakland. These are gentle "beginner or intermediate slopes." The better/bigger hills are going to be near the crest of the Lake Wales Ridge.

But if you're working at Mall of Millennia I don't think you want to be out in Clermont. Just drive out there with your board when you're not working. Living far from work here means toll roads and it gets expensive. Plenty of 1/1 apartments in nice neighborhoods in the $1200 range 3-4 miles from the mall. More still in the $1000 range in older and/or smaller buildings.

I agree with this 100%
Unless you feel like taking the trip to Lake Wales or Lakeland (cities that are riddled with hills)
Just north west of Orlando is Lake County.
I live in Howey In the Hills.
For the most part The majority of the county is pretty hilly.
We even have some popular hills that are known for people trying to go down them on a Bike, Skateboard, Longboard, Scooter, etc.
1. Sugarloaf Mountain (probably one of the tallest and steepest in the state this one resembles more of what you've seen in California ) This is in Clermont, FL

2.Thrill Hill (This as well is a very steep hill) This is in Eustis, FL

3. Buck Hill ( very fast and steep hill similar to what you would find in California) This is in Clermont as well.

These are just 3 I know off the top of my head.
There are many more.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Mr.Favio; 09-08-2021 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 01:38 PM

54 posts, read 56,485 times
Quote:

Okay! Thank you so much! This was truly helpful.
So should I stick to the Winter Park area for a place to live?
I was even think of Winter Garden too or just settle with downtown Orlando.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Favio View Post
I agree with this 100%
Unless you feel like taking the trip to Lake Wales or Lakeland (cities that are riddled with hills)
Just north west of Orlando is Lake County.
I live in Howey In the Hills.
For the most part The majority of the county is pretty hilly.
We even have some popular hills that are known for people trying to go down them on a Bike, Skateboard, Longboard, Scooter, etc.
1. Sugarloaf Mountain (probably one of the tallest and steepest in the state this one resembles more of what you've seen in California ) This is in Clermont, FL

2.Thrill Hill (This as well is a very steep hill) This is in Eustis, FL

3. Buck Hill ( very fast and steep hill similar to what you would find in California) This is in Clermont as well.

These are just 3 I know off the top of my head.
There are many more.
Hope this helps!
Those three places will be my 1st hill bomb stops to check out once it get to Florida!
Thank you!
Is Lakeland a good move possibly?
It’s a city with Hills which what I’d love to be in, but if the commute is to far then I’m good on that area.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:36 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder907 View Post
I did the google earth thing, and even typed in on imagines on google.
And honestly Clermont looks like It has the hills I’ve been looking for.
There are several named hills in Clermont and in another town close by called minneola.
And a lot of them are over 200 and some 300 feet in elevation.
I can’t lie you kinda under sold the hills out here.
I wasn’t even expecting stuff that high.
Those aren’t to far off from how the ones I bomb out here in Burbank.
I’m also learned that the best springs are in Lake and Marion county.

I neee advice from a Floridian!! You sir don’t seem to be one.
Although I do appreciate you trying.
I’ve lived in Orlando for almost all of my life (also not a sir lol). I just didn’t want you to expect a ton of hills around here, especially close to the city. I’m glad you’re pleasantly surprised.

From what I can see there’s only one public spring in Lake County, and that’s Alexander Springs. I was just mentioning the two closest to Orlando- Rock Springs and Wekiva. There’s a few in Volusia County as well, like Blue Springs and DeLeon Springs.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:53 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder907 View Post
Okay! Thank you so much! This was truly helpful.
So should I stick to the Winter Park area for a place to live?
I was even think of Winter Garden too or just settle with downtown Orlando.
I think what no one has mentioned yet is that the traffic around the mall gets really bad. It's partly because the mall is a huge draw but also because there's so much other stuff around it. It can take me 15 minutes to get to the exit for the mall on I-4 and then another 15 minutes to go the last half mile to the mall parking lot.

Winter Garden wouldn't be too bad. It's a nice town with all the basics. You can get to the mall pretty quickly on the Turnpike and it's only about $5.40 a week in tolls if you're going back and forth to work 5 days a week. It would put you closer to the hills on your time off.

Winter Park is great and also pretty central but it's also pricey because of that and I wouldn't want to commute to the mall from there.

If it were me I'd be looking around SoDo - and more generally the area around S. Orange and E. Michigan and out to S. Bumby. I'm basically thinking that whole area south of 408, north of Little Lake Conway, west of S. Conway Rd., and east of the tracks. You can punch 32806 into google maps and get the basic outline of what I'm talking about. You're close to the mall and you get decent neighborhoods that aren't stupid expensive.

IMO, Lakeland would be nuts. You'd be over an hour from work on the best of days and the traffic to/from Lakeland can be gnarly even off peak. It's not just an hour +, it's 50 miles each way.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I’ve lived in Orlando for almost all of my life (also not a sir lol). I just didn’t want you to expect a ton of hills around here, especially close to the city. I’m glad you’re pleasantly surprised.

From what I can see there’s only one public spring in Lake County, and that’s Alexander Springs. I was just mentioning the two closest to Orlando- Rock Springs and Wekiva. There’s a few in Volusia County as well, like Blue Springs and DeLeon Springs.
My apologies, I didn’t know.
And thank you for the spring mentions.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I think what no one has mentioned yet is that the traffic around the mall gets really bad. It's partly because the mall is a huge draw but also because there's so much other stuff around it. It can take me 15 minutes to get to the exit for the mall on I-4 and then another 15 minutes to go the last half mile to the mall parking lot.

Winter Garden wouldn't be too bad. It's a nice town with all the basics. You can get to the mall pretty quickly on the Turnpike and it's only about $5.40 a week in tolls if you're going back and forth to work 5 days a week. It would put you closer to the hills on your time off.

Winter Park is great and also pretty central but it's also pricey because of that and I wouldn't want to commute to the mall from there.

If it were me I'd be looking around SoDo - and more generally the area around S. Orange and E. Michigan and out to S. Bumby. I'm basically thinking that whole area south of 408, north of Little Lake Conway, west of S. Conway Rd., and east of the tracks. You can punch 32806 into google maps and get the basic outline of what I'm talking about. You're close to the mall and you get decent neighborhoods that aren't stupid expensive.

IMO, Lakeland would be nuts. You'd be over an hour from work on the best of days and the traffic to/from Lakeland can be gnarly even off peak. It's not just an hour +, it's 50 miles each way.
What about Windemere?

Old 09-10-2021, 09:14 AM

85 posts, read 99,342 times
I am a FL native but did 20 years in the Marines. My last duty station was Twentynine Palms, CA lol. What you make is only part of the equation. If you are debt free, or near debt free, then you will be fine. I am in East Orlando (Waterford Lakes) and I pay $1,500/mo for a 1br. Winter Park has some affordable apartments but they are not really in Winter Park. Just close. Though you want hills, I would just table your downhill hobby and start a new one. Maybe get into fishing or scuba diving or something else. If you can, fly here and get eyes-on whatever you want ahead of time. There is only so much that you can learn online..

Old 09-11-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFL78 View Post
I am a FL native but did 20 years in the Marines. My last duty station was Twentynine Palms, CA lol. What you make is only part of the equation. If you are debt free, or near debt free, then you will be fine. I am in East Orlando (Waterford Lakes) and I pay $1,500/mo for a 1br. Winter Park has some affordable apartments but they are not really in Winter Park. Just close. Though you want hills, I would just table your downhill hobby and start a new one. Maybe get into fishing or scuba diving or something else. If you can, fly here and get eyes-on whatever you want ahead of time. There is only so much that you can learn online..
Thanks for the tip, I’m kinda surprised Orlando is so costly. I mean studios in Cali are basically the same price.
And thanks but no thanks fishing is for old men (in my opinion) and scuba diving is a very very expensive hobby.
Some of you guys don’t realize most of the hills we are bombing in Cali are in the 200, 300, and 400 foot range.
Since FL has hills at that elevation then that’s perfect.
Before I started coming to sites like this and doing my own research I thought the whole state was flat. And if there where any hills it would be like a small slope.
Which if that where the case then yea I would have to give it up.
So please don’t try to Deter me from something I enjoy. Especially if I can still do in FL.
You can go fishing by yourself my guy LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando