Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 11:32 AM

45 posts, read 54,968 times

Advertisements

Hi there: Interested in learning about suburban neighborhoods in the greater Orlando area for a short-term (4-6 weeks) rental this winter. Does not have to be near any major attractions but would like a nice area that is safe to walk/jog, has good restaurants with outdoor seating nearby, and convenient to groceries, etc. Everything doesn't have to be within walking distance but being able to safely walk/jog from the house is a must, so sidewalks would be nice. Trying to avoid loud car/loud music/meth party/gun rack-pickup truck areas..basically want a nice northeastern suburb...but in Florida :-)

Ideally interested in new/updated house with covered pool but would consider higher-end condo as well.

Seems like Winter Park, Windemere, Dr. Phillips might fit the bill but not sure how realistic it is to find a short-term rental. Any specific neighborhood or towns to suggest? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 03:03 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
The ones you brought up are the best options, especially Winter Park when it comes to walkability. I’m just not sure about the rules with short term rentals in the cities or HOAs.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:30 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Lake Eola Heights/Thornton Park would be a good choice for walkability to the things you mentioned, also Baldwin Park. I’m just not sure how easy it will be to secure a short term rental as they’re technically not allowed in Orange County.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 21,561 times
I think the shortest term lease allowed in most FL counties (except Osceola) is 7 months...

Old 09-07-2021, 03:54 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
A few years back, I short-term leased a beautiful condo at "The Jackson" in Thornton Park. Beautiful place, beautiful area, could walk everywhere for any and everything.
They exist. Look around and inquire.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5391...7i16384!8i8192

Old 09-07-2021, 06:37 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Best bet is probably to go the vacation home rentals;

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rental...rlando/orlando

https://www.orlandohomeawayfromhome.com/

https://www.airbnb.com/orlando-fl/stays

Old 09-08-2021, 03:41 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,937 times
Lake Nona?

Old 09-09-2021, 10:09 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,129,361 times
In Winter Park short-term rentals have to be one month or more so you might be able to find something there - especially if it's for 6 weeks. City of Orlando limits short-term rentals to an accessory dwelling unit or to your primary residence as long as you live there for more than half the year. Orange County seems to be more of a free for all and both Orange and Osceola have special short term rental districts around the theme parks - but they're generally not great for hanging out and having a non-theme park vacation.

I don't really know about going for a run in Dr. Phillips but it's not a place I spend a lot of time.

There's a great trail network in and around Baldwin Park that goes north into Winter Park. It's connected to the trail network in Winter Springs/Oviedo which is also a nice place to walk/run/cycle. You'd see much the same in Lake Nona.

For me and for what you're looking for I'd probably prefer to be in or near a town center like Winter Park or Winter Garden or in Baldwin Park or Northeast Orlando more generally - and throw in College Park and the neighborhoods to the immediate southeast of downtown like Delaney Park, Lake Como, Lake Terrace, etc.

Plenty of areas of Seminole County also seem to fit your bill but except for Casselberry/Winter Springs/Oviedo I don't know them as well.

My favorite game to play with different cities is to zoom out on google maps and look for the darkest green neighborhoods. If you look at the Orlando region there's a yellow hue to most neighborhoods - probably from burnt out grass. If you look for neighborhoods with a darker green tint to them these are almost uniformly wealthier parts of town with bigger homes and yards but most of them that aren't suburban are usually older parts of the city/region that are more walkable.

In Queens you can see this clearly in Jamaica Estates, Forest Hills, Murray Hill, etc. In Brooklyn places like Flatbush, Midwood, Bay Ridge, etc are the standouts.

In LA places like Hancock Park and Cheviot Hills are dramatic standouts but you also see more subtle differences in Santa Monica and Pasadena/Altadena

Around here there's a mostly north/south strip running mostly between South Conway Rd./Bennet/Lakemont on one side and the railroad tracks/Edgewater on the other side. It runs from Belle Isle up through Maitland.

It's a little tougher to do in the suburbs because there are more trees in general but if you spend enough time you can pick out the upscale places. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are pretty obvious when you look at the satellite view.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:46 AM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Baldwin Park would fit the bill.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:42 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Baldwin Park would fit the bill.
This would be my first pick too, if one can find a short-term rental there (very possible.)

I lived there for a year and loved it. Would move back in a heartbeat if Orlando were on my radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando