Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 23,059 times

Advertisements

Hi, I don't live in the area so I'm not familiar with either internet provider companies. I am just trying to see if I can help my future father in law out. So my father in law lives in Clermont. He qualified for the emergency broadband benefit program but he is currently with Centurylink on a grandfathered plan. Centurylink told me he needs to switch to Quantum Fiber before the EBB discount can be applied. From what I understand, they are basically two branches of the same company and the two plans look pretty much the same (fiber optic, about 1 tb speed, $65 a month). His son plays game and stuff so that's why they need that speed (and I think it's not too bad considering comcast is like $50 for like 1/5 of the speed)

I read a lot of complaints about Centurylink and kinda hesistated with the switch. From what I understand, they are known for hiking up the price unless you are grandfathered. the rep from quantum fiber told me the $65 a month for their plan is a "locked in" rate but I don't know if that means it won't change in the future. Because EBB will end at some point in time, I don't know if it will leave him with a much higher bill at the end of the day.

So I am wondering if anyone who lives in the area has experience dealing with either of these companies and can share your experience. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 09:22 PM

9 posts, read 9,619 times
This post is over a year old, but I figured I would reply in case others come across it.

CL has been slowly converting all of their fiber internet services to the Quantum branding. Interestingly, I lived in one part of Clermont where my provider would have been CL (but wasn't, as I was with Spectrum) from 2016-2021, and then moved to another part of Clermont where my provider was Quantum, from 2021 until we moved out of state in 2022. Same city, with homes only about 5 miles apart, yet one was branded one way, and one was the other. The tech that came and did the install at the Quantum house actually had a Quantum shirt, but had a ID tag with CL logo.

No real complaints with Quantum. Had their 1 gig fiber service (super fast) and in the course of a year, it probably went down twice, for periods exceeding several hours. But we had Spectrum cable as a backup. What really stinks about CL/Quantum is that there are no brick-and-mortar stores and so everything is handled online or over the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: