Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 AM

648 posts, read 519,328 times

Advertisements

I’m asking specifically about the restaurants, shops, and such. In beach towns going further North in the country, come the end of September (or earlier depending how far up the coast you go) a lot of the shore shops and restaurants close up until the start of the next beach season. I haven’t yet gotten out to New Smyrna or Daytona, but is there anything equivalent to that here? I can see some folks just loving the heat and water temps right in the middle of the summer, and the snowbirds come down for the winter and spring so just the additional tourism would be enough reason for places to stay open. Seems like there’d never really be on “off season”. Am I off base on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 07:35 AM

54 posts, read 56,632 times
It really depends what part of the state your in.
South Florida is prolly easier to stay open all season long.
Since places like Miami even during January have an average low of 62 and average high of 76.
Although places like Jacksonville or even the beaches of the gulf up in the panhandle it’s probably a bit harder to stay open during the winter months since their average lows are in the mid 40s and average highs in the mid to upper 60s.
So it really just depends what part of the state your in.
But like I said it’s much easier for like Miami or Fort Lauderdale beaches to be open and busy all year round.
Even Daytona In winter months average low is 52 and average high is 70. That’s still a little to chilly to want to be out on the beach, and way to chilly to be in the water.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:37 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,754,605 times
I think the OP is asking about businesses. While I don’t frequent the coast a lot, I’ve never heard of them closing on a seasonal basis.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:00 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
New Smyrna Beach definitely has a seasonal downswing given it's more of a "locals" beach than Daytona Beach for instance. While most businesses don't close, they do go into reduced hours mode closing early in the week for example and fewer hours per day.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:10 AM

Thanks Kyle. That’s what I was wondering.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:34 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,705,224 times
In Florida NOTHING closes in Winter, on the Contrary, that's when they make their AMERICA ($$$$$$) because the Tourists and the Snow Birds are back in full force running from the Cold.

In 1973 when we arrived in the Suncoast, summers were boring, no traffic, everything for Us the Locals, empy Lodging and Beaches, but all that changed before or no later 2000, when everyone woke up to the fact that Florida was Dirt cheap in Summer, and the Hoardes arrived.

There is NO LONGER a SLOW Season anywhere in Florida. The Covid derrailed the State, but all seems to be coming back to Pre Pandemia Days, 12 Months a Year

Last edited by Huasho; 09-26-2021 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 01:19 PM

729 posts, read 1,302,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
I’m asking specifically about the restaurants, shops, and such. In beach towns going further North in the country, come the end of September (or earlier depending how far up the coast you go) a lot of the shore shops and restaurants close up until the start of the next beach season. I haven’t yet gotten out to New Smyrna or Daytona, but is there anything equivalent to that here? I can see some folks just loving the heat and water temps right in the middle of the summer, and the snowbirds come down for the winter and spring so just the additional tourism would be enough reason for places to stay open. Seems like there’d never really be on “off season”. Am I off base on this?
Certain businesses shut down in the Panama City in the colder months, especially restaurants that rely heavily on tourist dollars. It was like being in the twilight zone, LOL. I didn't think there was such a thing as "seasonal" in Florida until I experienced it for myself.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:58 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,132,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
New Smyrna Beach definitely has a seasonal downswing given it's more of a "locals" beach than Daytona Beach for instance. While most businesses don't close, they do go into reduced hours mode closing early in the week for example and fewer hours per day.
This.

I think this is more pronounced north of the Cape - as you head north from New Smyrna
and becomes less pronounced to non-existent as you head south - from Cocoa on down.

If there's a Saturday or Sunday in Jan or Feb where it's in the upper 70s at the beach I'll head out for the day and it's usually fairly busy because everyone else has the same idea. On the other hand, there was one day in January we went out there early to catch the moonrise and it was in the low 60s and there were a few people around but nothing like the crowds you'd have on a normal weekend in October.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:59 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,183,644 times
Actually the beach with the port that Orlando claims as theirs in their advertisements, does not have a season. Everything is open all year long. Tourists are here all year long. Our out door seating restaurant areas are kept open. On colder days they had gas heaters. Even the 2020 year of the pandemic the county says that they made more money from tourist tax than even years pre-pandemic.

The tourist may change during the school year to an older crowd of snowbirds who mostly own homes here and come down from the NE and Canada to a more family vacation tourist in the summers and during holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. The rockets going up monthly is a major draw so yes we are open! But with 60+ miles of beach you may think you are the only tourist here.

During the summers when the temps are in the high 90s we don't have as many festivals so fall and winter there may be more things to do that doesn't involve water activities and the beach.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:05 PM

Thanks @Rabflmom! Is there anything online where I can see what all goes on in that area, including the festivals and such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando